Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my VTX 1800, and want some sound. I've heard the dual crank pin config never sounds good, so I was wondering who makes the best sounding pipes for the 1800. I am looking for a MELLOW deep sound, no open pipes, dont want it too loud. Of course, I am willing to debaffle if the sound is good.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I've got V+H Bigshots w/quiet baffles. That's a joke, they ain't quiet, but they do sound good. V+H keeps the 2 into 1 advantage by using a crossover chamber. I'd like to hear an 1800 with Rineharts. My GF has them on her Dyna + it sounds awesome. Think there's a set for sale on the 1800 classified board.

·
Registered
607 Posts
chosing pipes

If sound is what your looking for, pick your poison, with all the different baffle combos (with or without)offered with all the after market pipes you going to get a lot of opinions, BUT i haven't herd anyone being able to copy the single pin sound if that's what your wanting.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
IMHO 2 into 1 pipes have the best sound for any 2 pin crank v-twin. I have a Roadburner Velocity Pro but there are a few others.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Your best bet is to first decide which is more important, looks or performance. Then try to get together with the local VTXers and listen to what theirs sound like. There is no way we can pick what you think will sound/look the best. I personally went with the 2 into 1 stock C header and am waiting for my Roadhouse Shorty to arrive. Nice throaty sound.

·
Super Moderator
63,576 Posts
Sound is very subjective. What I may like, you may hate. Now you've spent $500 or more on a system that you can't stand the sound of. I've heard this many times over the years on this board.
"I just purchased an exhaust from recommendations from this board and they sound horrible. What do I do now?"
Best thing to do is find your state board from this list; http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=75
Then find out when & where fellow VTXOA members are getting together and go introduce yourself and have a listen. 8)

·
Registered
476 Posts
:agree: with Chicago Spike.

I have the V&H Big Shots with quiet baffles. I like the sound of them but I don't like the sound of the V&H Big shots without the baffles. The quiet baffles aren't quiet at all, just gives it a low rumble sound and for a dual pin crank it doesn't sound half bad..... But like Chicago Spike said you need to listen to them all then make a dicision...... The VTX will never sound like a harley.

·
Registered
424 Posts
:agree: with Chicago Spike.

I have the V&H Big Shots with quiet baffles. I like the sound of them but I don't like the sound of the V&H Big shots without the baffles. The quiet baffles aren't quiet at all, just gives it a low rumble sound and for a dual pin crank it doesn't sound half bad..... But like Chicago Spike said you need to listen to them all then make a dicision...... The VTX will never sound like a harley.
no the X will never sound like a harley and I thank honda for that I like the X sound much better myself, but like others have said dont buy pipes on suggestion unless performance is your only goal sound is a personal thing just find several other X's and listen for yourself, you can always go to you tube and listen to video's but honestly I dont believe those are truly representative of the sound. good luck. :lol:

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you can't meet up with people use Youtube for you bike Like mine has 3 videos on their from various stages of mods with the vtxexhaust.com redone on my single cannon exhaust not to loud to cruizee but sounds like a hot rode 305 small block with daullies when I give it some Heck. I will link you to my crappy video and from there search your model with the exhaust you like and decide, Still better to see and hear in person but if that isn't an option. The sound sucks cause the videos are shot with a standard kodak digital camera. still hear a good sound byte of the redo - tons of these videos on the youtube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts