Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone I'm back with another probably stupid question. I love my 05 VTX1300S but I'm pretty sure there us more to her than she is giving me, and I think it has to do with the pipes.

what's happening.
when riding and need to let off the gas regardless of gear it's way worse in the lower gears but there is a serious bogging that causes me to jerk forward like I'm applying breaks hard I've been told there is to much back pressure caused by the baffles. I really dont know.

is there a way to get the power my baby is capable of that wont cost me an arm, a leg and my pinky toe? is there a replacement baffle I can just change out to let her breath better. I mean she has alot of power but it feels like she can do so much more. any help would be amazing.

thank you

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Personally Ive never heard of your situation As pertaining to pipes........I’m running V$H big shots and I saw very little difference in performance....but there are others on here much more knowledgeable and they will be along in a minute...good luck

·
Registered
203 Posts
From what you are describing there are two main culprits to investigate, your carb and your exhaust. First question that comes to my mind is are these stock? If stock, it sounds more like a carb issue, exhaust would not cause what you are describing but I would check the seals up front anyway.

You don't have to spend any money to inspect the throttle and the carb it ‘self but that will cost you some time. Sometimes it's just the simple things that give you headaches - plugs, dirty air filter, carb fuel filter, throttle or linkage sticking or even bad gas. I would completely go over all those options before spending any money or having a dealer look at (that could cost some $$$).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as far as I know they are stock. I bought her used just as you see her. as far as gas that's something I dont mess around with I run non-ethanol when ever I can otherwise it's high test l, and at the end of the season I run nothing but non-ethanol even if I have to fill from a can. I took my carb apart about 3 years ago and it was squeaky clean then. that particular thing ended up being a broken wire on my ignition control. but this bog feeling to pit it into perspective kinda sounds and acts like a mac truck engine breaking if that makes any sense. it really sucks going over a bumby road that jostles my throttle hand so it becomes bumpy and jerky.

I will definitely check out my carb again thank you for the input

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
or maybe since this is the only bike I've ever really ridden its normal for there to be so much engine drag I have nothing to compare it to. I just know when I let off the gas in my truck it gradually slows with no sudden loss of power forcing me towards the wind shield.

·
Premium Member
6,558 Posts
Your truck has an automatic transmission I assume? If so it's a bad comparison. An automatic trans uses a torque converter and on decel is loosely coupled to the engine. With your bike the clutch directly coupled the engine to the transmission. I could go through the mechanics of why the effect is more noticeable at lower gears than higher gears, but rest assured it makes sense that it is.

On your bike, if you go from a higher gear to a lower gear, or two lower gears, and let the clutch out really quickly (no need to try this BTW) you will have the back wheel skidding until the engine catches up with the bike. You have 1300ccs breathing at whatever RPM, and the only air it can get at closed throttle is just sufficient for the engine to idle. Manifold vacuum goes way up, and every intake stroke is resisted by that vacuum. Racers on tracks used to have to be very aware of keeping the rear wheel from skidding during deceleration. Now they make clutches so that is less likely. The VTX does not have such a clutch, called a "slipper clutch".

So, is your engine braking extreme or more than a different bike? I kind of doubt it. If when it's kn neutral you can push your bike around, there is no excessive drag on the wheels. If the engine idles and runs fine, there is no excessive drag there either. In suppose the only way to know if it's excessive is to either ride another similar bike, or let another rider ride yours. Really the only other issue you could have is something seriously dragging in your transmission. I would think there would be other symptoms if that were the case. If your pipes had too much backpressure, it would be very difficult to get 4000 or 5000rpm out of the engine under load.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^....are u and Hans related.....just asking..... ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your truck has an automatic transmission I assume? If so it's a bad comparison. An automatic trans uses a torque converter and on decel is loosely coupled to the engine. With your bike the clutch directly coupled the engine to the transmission. I could go through the mechanics of why the effect is more noticeable at lower gears than higher gears, but rest assured it makes sense that it is.

On your bike, if you go from a higher gear to a lower gear, or two lower gears, and let the clutch out really quickly (no need to try this BTW) you will have the back wheel skidding until the engine catches up with the bike. You have 1300ccs breathing at whatever RPM, and the only air it can get at closed throttle is just sufficient for the engine to idle. Manifold vacuum goes way up, and every intake stroke is resisted by that vacuum. Racers on tracks used to have to be very aware of keeping the rear wheel from skidding during deceleration. Now they make clutches so that is less likely. The VTX does not have such a clutch, called a "slipper clutch".

So, is your engine braking extreme or more than a different bike? I kind of doubt it. If when it's kn neutral you can push your bike around, there is no excessive drag on the wheels. If the engine idles and runs fine, there is no excessive drag there either. In suppose the only way to know if it's excessive is to either ride another similar bike, or let another rider ride yours. Really the only other issue you could have is something seriously dragging in your transmission. I would think there would be other symptoms if that were the case. If your pipes had too much backpressure, it would be very difficult to get 4000 or 5000rpm out of the engine under load.
so it must be just the nature of the beast she runs like a top and when I give her gas she goes and goes well.

so like i said in my original post probably just another stupid question from this guy lmao. I'll have someone that's got alot more miles in the satle then me and see if it's just me. I work with a guy that has vtx1800 and a valkyrie hes prob my best bet.

thank you for all that info I'm definitely going to read it a couple more times theres alot there

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The manual calls for 87 octane, that’s what you should be running
my weedwacker, push mower, riding mower, and generator all say the same but they have never run so good and that is all I will run in them. how can it be bad for my motorcycle?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Higher octane is for high compression engines, it actually resists detonation.
I dont know anything about that. I have run lower octane in her b4 and seamed like it made her lag a little and wouldn't start as well. always needed to full choke to start with low octane. the none ethanol on a cool morning I still dont need to use the choke and she starts right up. and I have seen first hand the devastating power the standard gas does to a carburetor in my generator it was completely packed with that vaseline like gunk I had to use a spoon to scoop it out and ever since then none of my carburetor machine's see anything but non ethanol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Higher octane is for high compression engines, it actually resists detonation.
I will give it a try even thought I'm very sceptical about going lower. and possibly gunking up my carb I do appreciate your input

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Always use a quality fuel from a top tier station. Octane in itself has nothing to do with carburetor gunk.
that I do know it's the ethanol that gunks stuff up I pretty much only ran shell until I switched to non-ethanol

·
Registered
876 Posts
I’ll give my 0.02 since no one asked for it. I was using premium, like you I use it in all my lawn equipment and my sleds call for it. After reading some posts on here and other forums I switched to regular. My VTX runs better. Not as hot. So, I continue to run regular, except in the late fall. I switch to premium as it is ethanol free here. The bike get stored for the winter after a couple tanks of it run through and a full tank of it. Ethanol is only harmful when it sits for long periods. If you are riding regularly, it’s not going to hurt anything.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
that I do know it's the ethanol that gunks stuff up I pretty much only ran shell until I switched to non-ethanol

Just a fyi....Ive had zero issues with E-gas....in all my chit....having said that I hate that we have to use it....gooD luck

·
Premium Member
6,558 Posts
Yeah, I dunno either. For storage I used an ethanol stabilizing fuel stabilizer. Never an issue. I would not store it for a couple of years like that, but for the winter, never an issue. My dirt bikes needed premium, but they were very high strung bikes. Also stored with fuel stabilizer. The VTX always only ever got regular, and it kept her happy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Two things I will add and I am no expert, my last bike was a HD bagger which required premium gas so when I got my VTX I followed suit and used high octane. I found that the engine had some knocking or pinging, asked on this forum and was told that the X has a low compression engine and wants low octane, when I made the fuel switch the pinging is far less evident. One other observation I will say is that compared to a belt driven or chain driven motorcycle the shaft drive is far less forgiving in matching revs for shifting, particularly downshifting, rear tire wear can be increased if the rider has tendencies to downshift hard.
Love my X, hope it works out for you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts