Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a low speed wreck about 10 days ago, an old cager pulled in front of me and I locked up the brakes and turned sideways into her. My tank was dented, Highway bar bent (saved my leg, although broken), bent brake...scratched piped...Primarily cosmetic damage.

The officer who took the report has been a rider for many years and knows a bit about bikes and a friend of mine who used to sell Hondas are both confident I have no frame damage. The adjuster did not seem to think there was any frame or fork damage.

I have an opportunity to buy the bike at salvage and have cash left over for repair. IF all I need to do is repair it, I make out good on the deal, however, a friend of mine said he would be leary of any unseen damage that may have happened, such as bent frame, forks, bearing damage, etc. I would like opinions on what you think, or any experiences you had with a situation like this. Thanks!

Personally, I am confident the bike only hascosmetic damage, but I dont know a lot about bikes except they're fun to ride (except when an idiot pulls in front of you)

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Mine went end over end, sideways and front to back. I had no main frame damage, rims or fork damage, but we did pull the the whole bike down and went over everything including the swing arm bearings. We went ahead and changed the head bearing with the 1800 All Balls while it was down. The only frame damage I had was to the rear passenger peg mounts, they was bent up and needed re-welding.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Well, an exspurt is just a has-been drip under pressure, so I guess I apply. LOL.

If they are offering to let you "buy it back" that means they are going to write it up as a total loss. Therefor, the bike will have a salvage title. This puts forth a few items to consider. First, will your state allow you to register a "salvage" bike? Will your insurance company insure a "salvage" bike? Do you ever plan to sell the bike? (selling a "salvage" bike can be difficult as most buyers will turn and run when they hear the word.) If all of these questions are answered, and you are SURE there is no frame damage, then go for it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The word "SALVAGE" is key here. In the state of TN, you have considerable restrictions on any salvage vehicle. An auto body shop I sold my wife's Mustang too(I've known forever) told me you would have to apply through the state for a reconstruction title and have a several week waiting period for that to go through the proper channels. Just by being a "salvage" vehicle drops the value tremendously, even though it may only be cosmetic.
Just Sayin!
It doesen't really matter what it is worth to someone else if you are planning on keeping it forever. If you try to trade/sale it in the future (even if it was "minor" cosmetic damage), it is now branded as refurbished scrap with a reconstruction title.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Heychap -

Glad to hear that you came out of your minor mishap in (basically) one piece. God smiled on you.

There are quite a few factors when it comes to damaging a bike during any type of accident. However, in order to bend the frame, you'd most likely have other noticeably serious parts damage. Turn signals, mirrors, brake pedal, shifter lever(s), pegs/floorboards, exhaust system, headlight, taillight, levers/grips, crash bars (they are there to protect your engine and your person from lay-over damage), saddlebags, damaged fenders, fuel tank, handlebars and even a windshield are considered "expendables" in a crash.

When you start getting into bent forks, damaged wheels, kickstand mounts and rear frame "horns" (the rear fender anchor points) - then it would be a good idea to have the frame looked over carefully for any additional damage. The frame has specific measurements and tolerances that must be met in order for the bike to ride and handle safely and controllably. You can always obtain a spec diagram and frame chart from your local Honda dealer to see how much of the measuring and checking you (and maybe a buddy) can accomplish to determine if your bike requires "major" repairs after a crash.

If you've done enough "cosmetic" damage to allow your insurance company to "total" the bike (usually anything over 70% of book trade-in value) for your '04 1300-C (approximately $2800) and the buy-back isn't too high, take the money, buy the bike back and fix it up yourself. Maybe you could get your insurance adjuster to "re-evaluate" his estimate to a value slightly less than "totaled" and take that money and fix it up yourself, anyways.

If you have (suspected) frame damage, the best bet may be to put your insurance money as a down-payment on another bike, as frame straightening/repairs may be cost-prohibitive, when adding the buy-back and cosmetic repair costs into the total.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok...I bought my bike from a guy that hit a deer with it...He was ok also...

He took it to a trusted bike shop to have the frame checked out, nothing was wrong... He hit the deer running close to 70mph and the bike slide a long way down the road...However this bike was not totaled and I bought it to put back together with parts he had already bought...I must say I got a heck of a deal...

The salvage thing others have mentioned very well will be a problem or should I say a hassle...

good luck with your choice...

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Forgot to add my adjuster was cool. He could have totaled it, my friends had my bike and looked it over real well and new how much I like my bike. So they talked to the adjuster and they kept it right under that amount. I've never owned anything with a salvaged title, so I don't know all the hassle the goes with it. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I was geared up to buy my bike as salvaged, and still get a check for over 5,000 dollars. I was excited because I was figuring up cost of parts and being able to do most of the work with the help of a friend, and getting my bike back looking better with some (a lot) of pocket change left over.

But, before I jumped I consulted this board (best board on the net by the way), and as a result was able to ask some questions to the insurance company, and the answers sucked, so I'm taking the money and giving the bike up.

Thanks for the responses and great advice!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Forgot to add my adjuster was cool. He could have totaled it, my friends had my bike and looked it over real well and new how much I like my bike. So they talked to the adjuster and they kept it right under that amount. I've never owned anything with a salvaged title, so I don't know all the hassle the goes with it. Good luck with your choice.
+1. I had the same good luck. Talk nice to them, they're human too... most of 'em. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, I was geared up to buy my bike as salvaged, and still get a check for over 5,000 dollars. I was excited because I was figuring up cost of parts and being able to do most of the work with the help of a friend, and getting my bike back looking better with some (a lot) of pocket change left over.

But, before I jumped I consulted this board (best board on the net by the way), and as a result was able to ask some questions to the insurance company, and the answers sucked, so I'm taking the money and giving the bike up.

What did they give you to total it out? If you don't mind that I'm askin :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got $6375.00 I paid 5,000 last year and had 1,300-1,400 in mods. So I pretty much broke even.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Heychap -

I'd say you did exceptionally well in the pay-off received from your insurance company. I used what most insurance adjusters and P&C insurance companies use - Kelly Blue Book average condition at 70% of the trade-in value for Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

If you're still into riding, you'll get to start all over again with a substantial down-payment towards a new ride of your choice.

Good luck. Let us know what yo end up doing.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heychap -

I'd say you did exceptionally well in the pay-off received from your insurance company. I used what most insurance adjusters and P&C insurance companies use - Kelly Blue Book average condition at 70% of the trade-in value for Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

If you're still into riding, you'll get to start all over again with a substantial down-payment towards a new ride of your choice.

Good luck. Let us know what yo end up doing.
Thanks-The plan right now is to buy a cheap pick up truck while I'm recuperating. My wife and I figure it will be 6 months or so before my leg is healed well enough to ride, and we would like to get a Touring Bike-Either a Yamaha Venture, or a VTX 1800 with all the goodies.....

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Thanks-The plan right now is to buy a cheap pick up truck while I'm recuperating. My wife and I figure it will be 6 months or so before my leg is healed well enough to ride, and we would like to get a Touring Bike-Either a Yamaha Venture, or a VTX 1800 with all the goodies.....
Heychap -

The Venture Royal is a beautiful bike. Several friends/customers of mine have them.

The VTX1800-T can be used as a touring bike and should meet your needs well, with the proper mods. The other several considerations would be the new Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Tour model or a H-D Electra Glide Classic or Road King Standard (with hard bags instead of the leather ones). Tour trunks are available for all models and that really adds to carrying capacity and passenger comfort for long haul riding.

Good luck with your recuperation and don't give up on your dreams.

·
Registered
885 Posts

Chap
If you don't mind my asking, what did they tell you about a salvage/reconstruction title procedure?
Did you ask them about insuring it after rebuild?
Just curious!
Don't sweat it, they make um every day.
Glad you came out as good as you did, physically & monetarily.:congrats:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
This thread has got me curious about something. In the auto body business when a vehicle is wrecked , it is placed on a rack called a bench. These benches have hundreds of accurately placed holes in them. Every different vehicle has a specific set of jigs or pegs made for it. The vehicle is placed on the bench and the jigs for that vehicle are placed in the correct holes and are supposed to match up to specific points on the vehicle. This is the method for accurately measuring and ensuring that the vehicle is built back to original specs.

Now on a motorcycle is there a similar process used ? And are there factory measurements used to determine if a bike frame is bent ? And if there isn't a similar process used then is there some sort of certification that the frame is straight after being inspected ?

Anyone know for certain ?

Sorry for the hijack but curiosity was getting the best of me.

·
Registered
885 Posts
This thread has got me curious about something. In the auto body business when a vehicle is wrecked , it is placed on a rack called a bench. These benches have hundreds of accurately placed holes in them. Every different vehicle has a specific set of jigs or pegs made for it. The vehicle is placed on the bench and the jigs for that vehicle are placed in the correct holes and are supposed to match up to specific points on the vehicle. This is the method for accurately measuring and ensuring that the vehicle is built back to original specs.

Now on a motorcycle is there a similar process used ? And are there factory measurements used to determine if a bike frame is bent ? And if there isn't a similar process used then is there some sort of certification that the frame is straight after being inspected ?

Anyone know for certain ?

Sorry for the hijack but curiosity was getting the best of me.
No certainty here, but I have seen a few used Motorcycle parts places (Ebay) certify that wheels/frames and such are straight and true. But, you know Ebay/Craigslist reputation for their undoubted trustworthiness in the accuracy of their listings.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chap
If you don't mind my asking, what did they tell you about a salvage/reconstruction title procedure?
Did you ask them about insuring it after rebuild?
Just curious!
Here is a portion of a letter I recieved:

"....if the damage is less than 80% of the Actual Cash Value, you can retain and will get a "Rebuildable Salvage Title" and after taking the necessary steps (fees, applications, receipts from repair etc), a "Rebuilt Title" could be available for road use. But... in your case the damage is more than 80% of the ACV and you can retain with a "Certificate of Destruction" and cannot rebuild or register the vehicle for road use. "

And in regards to insurance....."__________ may insure but not for colllision or comprehensive on the unit...."

BTW-My insurance company has been very good since day one, and when I'm ready to ride again, they will get my business. I'll tell you who it is when I have check in hand.....:popcorn:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Here is a portion of a letter I recieved:

"....if the damage is less than 80% of the Actual Cash Value, you can retain and will get a "Rebuildable Salvage Title" and after taking the necessary steps (fees, applications, receipts from repair etc), a "Rebuilt Title" could be available for road use. But... in your case the damage is more than 80% of the ACV and you can retain with a "Certificate of Destruction" and cannot rebuild or register the vehicle for road use. "

And in regards to insurance....."__________ may insure but not for colllision or comprehensive on the unit...."

BTW-My insurance company has been very good since day one, and when I'm ready to ride again, they will get my business. I'll tell you who it is when I have check in hand.....:popcorn:
I for 1 am really glad you took a few minutes and ask a few questions on the forum. It did seem to be the turning point in your decision. I was not aware of the "certificate of destruction" clause, nor the inability to insure a salvaged vehicle.
Good info to know, just in case!!!!!!!!!
I believe you did good!!!!!!!!!!
Chalk it up to "KARMA"
Hope you have a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I for 1 am really glad you took a few minutes and ask a few questions on the forum.
Yeah, when the options were given to me I wasnt sure what to do, I thought about it, then said-Hey, WWVTXOAD? (What would VTXOA Do)-This board has been a big help the past year or so and still hasnt let me down......:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts