Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

New member here- been lurking and reading for awhile though.
I'm familiar with the Shadows but this is my first VTX.
2002 VTX1800C.

Question for the experts..
I have 6" fork tube extensions on one of my Shadows and love the stance.
I currently have the 3" internal extensions on the VTX from VTXtreme and lowered the rear with 11" shocks.
(Love the "upslope" chopper look)

Is there any reason I cannot have a similar fork "slug" machined for the VTX?
I understand they way they work is different as the VTX has inverted forks, but the concept is the same.
I'd give the fork caps to a machinist for him to match the threads (and the internal threads for the rod) and have him machine the new extended caps.

I've found similar extensions available for Gold Wings (see photos) which tells me this IS safely doable, but as far and wide as I've searched, I cannot find any info on anyone doing this for a VTX. (I'm well aware of Frank's Forks, but they say they only go up to 41mm diameter tubes.. I'm awaiting a response from them)

The fork cap extensions intersection would still be between the triple trees.

Does anyone have any insight into something I'm missing as to why I could not safely pull this off?

Thanks in advance for the responses!

Automotive lighting Liquid Fluid Cylinder Automotive tire

Product Automotive lighting Nickel Cylinder Household hardware

Household hardware Nickel Wood Cylinder Auto part

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've definitely searched for them extensively and they are not made anywhere that I've found. External extensions for the 1300's are available, but not for the 1800's.
I already have some of VTXtreme's internal ones, but want them longer. In the original post, I posted those photos of ones I did find for Gold Wings, so I know someone else has thought of it, but have found nothing for a VTX1800. (apparently though, certain Gold Wing 1500's fork caps are compatible with VTX's)

The question is, does anyone know of any reason why I could not safely pull off this idea?

VTXtreme is who custom machined the 6" slugs for my Shadow (which turned out perfect!), so I may just contact him again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, I actually know him. Charlie's a real down to earth nice guy. He lives very close to me (when he's not riding around the world). He's also a writer for Cycle Source mag.
(PS. I'm not trying to go with a 6 foot front end like his, just an extra 6" haha)

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Haha, I actually know him. Charlie's a real down to earth nice guy. He lives very close to me (when he's not riding around the world). He's also a writer for Cycle Source mag.
(PS. I'm not trying to go with a 6 foot front end like his, just an extra 6" haha)
So I think you may be OK , Yah?

You've seen SugarBear's forks?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts