Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys feel about extended warranties. My bike is a 06 but I just got it in july of 08. I cann't decided if I should spend the extra bucks and buy the extended warranty or just hope for the best. Then there's also the option of buying an aftermarket warranty other then Hondas. They seem to be a less money. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

·
Lady Rider
4,246 Posts
I bought one and wish I hadn't. I've found in the past with my autombiles that dealerships usually try to get out of paying anything when you actually have ot use it. I can't say what to do, but I think the Honda is pretty dependable and I'll most likely not use the warranty at all. But, I let myself get talked into it and now, it wouldn't be much return if I cashed out. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I would save the money most of anything that needs fixin won't be under warranty any way most things needed would be normal wear items warrenty don't cover this is my opinion. :dontknow: what you are looking for I would use the money and buy stuff you want to put on bike:yikes:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I would save the money most of anything that needs fixin won't be under warranty any way most things needed would be normal wear items warrenty don't cover this is my opinion. :dontknow: what you are looking for I would use the money and buy stuff you want to put on bike:yikes:
:agree: save the money for what you want.

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
The 1800 is a "bulletproof" bike ...

If it doesn't "lemon out" in the first year you're good to go ...

Keep an eye on the electical ...

battery cables

fuel pressure regulator (lines)

Grounds:
Common Chassis Ground
Secondary Battery Ground
Common Electronics Ground
corrosion under ground eyelet

Coils
primary wires and spades connecting each coil

clean the radiator cap valve (when you replace fluids)

watch your water pump and fluids ...

Follow the owners manual except for tire pressure ...

If you ride in the winter in White Plains you'll probably have to figure out a way to get the road chemicals off and make sure you have a good polish and "wax" on it ...

but ...

opinions vary ...

all blessings ...

crew

:crew:

·
Registered
944 Posts
I did get the extended 5 year on my 1300 C when I got it but that was because I had planned to sell it after the 1st year (Been 3 and wife has it now) thinking it would help with resale. I did have an exhaust issue after 14 months that required Honda to replace the system so that covered the cost in my case but 20-20 hindsite now caused me not to buy it on my 1800 C I bought this past fall.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
I buy extended warranties on some stuff. Electronics definately. Appliances definately (just had a $1000 3 year old Maytag washer replaced, after 3 repairs worth $800 which I did not have to pay). $1000 plus $800 minus the $100 for the warranty equals a savings to me of $1700. So in that case it was worth it.

I would not put an extended warranty on a Honda vehicle of any type.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I think I will save my money for something better for the bike. If something does go wrong I'm sure someone here would be able to help me figure it out anyway.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
Thanks guys, I think I will save my money for something better for the bike. If something does go wrong I'm sure someone here would be able to help me figure it out anyway.
Sorry, but if something breaks you're on your own!!!! :dontknow:

J/K. You made the right decision for the right reason. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Spend some money on a service manual, jack and stand... Put the rest in mods.... Most things can be fixed by the great minds on this board...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought the extended warranty. I personally like knowing that if anything goes wrong with the bike in the next 5 years it will be taken care of. I purchased it for the last motorcyle that I bought new and it paid for itself times 4. I swear that bike fell into the lemon law catagory. If I would not have had that warranty I would have been broke.

Jeremy

·
Registered
176 Posts
Never had one that worked out there always seems to be a loop hole so you just lose out twice, I say save the money buy crome :thumbup:

·
Registered
808 Posts
I bought the extended warranty and after all I have saw here I am wishing I would have not......Can I renig on the warranty and ask honda to cancel and give money back LOL Just curious. I put after market parts on and they will probably not warranty anything that goes wrong for me anyway im thinking now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If I install aftermarket parts and do the desmog mod does this void my warranty?

·
Lady Rider
4,246 Posts
I bought the extended warranty and after all I have saw here I am wishing I would have not......Can I renig on the warranty and ask honda to cancel and give money back LOL Just curious. I put after market parts on and they will probably not warranty anything that goes wrong for me anyway im thinking now.
Actually you can, but it's prorated and if it's financed, they usually send the money to the financer, wich would be fine with me.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I bought the extended warranty. I personally like knowing that if anything goes wrong with the bike in the next 5 years it will be taken care of. I purchased it for the last motorcycle that I bought new and it paid for itself times 4. I swear that bike fell into the lemon law category. If I would not have had that warranty I would have been broke.

Jeremy

If you don't mind me asking..................What kind of motorcycle did you own before you purchased your VTX???

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you don't mind me asking..................What kind of motorcycle did you own before you purchased your VTX???
Before the VTX I had a yamaha FZ1, but the bike prior to that, that I had all the problems with was a Buell X1 Lighting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts