Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of trying to add some accessory insurance to my policy. I have spent quite a bit on accessories and mods, and stand to lose a lot of money if I would ever total my bike. What kind of extra coverage do you guys carry, if any? I guess this question is more towards the members who have a lot of money in their bike(240 kits and such.)

Also, if you bike is wrecked, does the insurance company take the entire bike, or are you allowed to remove items(rims, air ride, etc.)? Seems like you would be screwed in a situation like that. Just wondering......

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I have $1500 in accessory insurance on my bike. I based on my original mods which did not include the 240. I figure at this point thats about all they would give me anyway counting depreciation.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I have $3000 extra on both my bikes. I'm well under that on the FJR but well over on the VTX if you include the paint.

Word to the wise, keep the receipts for all your accessories and take pictures as you add things. Don't expect your insurance company to understand the difference between stock pegs and Kury pegs for instance should something happen or an Ultimate seat vs. the stocker. Fortunately many aftermarket parts actually cost less than their OEM replacement parts from papa Honda but it still makes sense to be prudent. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I wrecked my bike last fall, the insurance co (Progressive) paid me book value of the bike (less the deductible). I also had $1000 in accessory coverage. This is for anything that did not come stock with the bike and for your riding gear. So save your receipts for you add on stuff and for your gear. I'm not sure about custom paint coverage. My next policy for the new bike will have a lot more in accessory coverage, $1000 does not go far at all.

·
Registered
326 Posts
In Massachusetts when I went to insure my wifes 1300R trike they would only insure it for the stock bike value.I had to have an approved appraiser set a value going by all reciepts and researching EBAY and trade journals. What he tells Commerce Ins. is what they will insure it for . That's after you pay him $250.00. I can leave fire & theft on while its off the road for the winter but I take off collision and thats the expensive coverage .There are no bargains in Ma. It cost a bundle because she just got her license ( MSF ) in August . It cost $1,200.00 :yikes:for the Trike and $800.00 :yikes:for the 1800C. Such a deal

·
Registered
618 Posts
You need to speak to your Agent and make sure you have what you need.
Determine how much $ in parts you have in the bike, and take into
consideration labor for the customization as well. If you have more $
in customization/accessories than your policy provides, then you need
to endorse the policy to provide greater limits, or have your bike insured
on a "Stated Value" basis. If you insure on a Stated Value basis (instead
of actual cash value) you'll need to have a qualified appraiser provide you
an appraised value on the bike to be turned over to your agent/carrier.
BEWARE of Stated Value policies, I've seen some that have language that
makes them essentially an ACV (actual cash value) policy and they don't
serve the purpose of what they were purchased for in the first place. The
appraised value will be essential in the event of the total theft of your bike
(stolen and not recovered).

As far as who keeps the bike in the event of a total loss, it's your bike,
you always have the option to keep your property. Generally, you will be
given the option to settle for ACV/Stated Value and the carrier takes the
bike and sells the salvage, OR, you keep the bike and the carrier pays you
ACV/Stated Value less salvage value (based upon bids provided generally
by 3 salvage shops).

If your carrier won't agree to provide greater limits for a customized bike,
have your agent seek coverage with another carrier. If your Agent tells
you they can't find the coverage for you, get quotes from another Agent.

Hopefully, that makes sense and is helpful.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I also have Progressive, I pay an additional 25 per year for 3000 insurance on accessories, the agent showed me that it does cover custom paint, if i want/need more it is 25 per 3000 additional

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have Geico coverage on my bikes. The most I could get on my "X" in aditional coverage was $2500.00, with them. But I will say after my accident last summer, they did cut me a check for the full $4600.00 in repairs, minus my $250 deduct. And it was all cosmetic damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts