Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a silent viewer to this forum for many months and have found a ton of useful information, but this is my first post. I am going to be purchasing this fairing in the next month or so and was wondering if anyone has gone with the cost saving ABS option VS the fiberglass option. I figure I'll go with fiberglass, but am really curious of the experience anyone has had with the ABS version.

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have not had a fairing yet, but am also intrested in purchasing one soon so this thread will be one I watch, thanks for asking this valuable question. whats the price range we should expect?

·
Registered
214 Posts
This question was just asked the other day and it was decided that going with the plastic should be fine. Harley has been using the plastic fairings since the beginning. I have a good friend that purchased a fiberglass one and was not happy because of the weight he sold it and bought the plastic one. I will be getting one sometime and it will be plastic.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I purchased the plastic one and absolutely love it. I did not see the value in spending the extra money for the fiberglass. My only wish is that i bought the fairing sooner.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
The Fairing is the plastic option from Extreme Revolution. Cost was $808 including inner and outer fairing, am/fm/cd stereo, sirrus radio, mp3 input, and s/h.

I paid $160 for primer, paint and clear coat. I paid @240 for a friend (hobbiest) to shoot the paint. A professional painter wanted $600 minimum to shoot the paint. XR advised paint could be done for $200, so I am thinking they meant for coast of materials only.

I used the mounts from my MS 21" windshield to install the fairing.

I am jazzed about the look. Functionally the fairing provides increased protection from the wind vs a windshield, and despite the weight I may have increased mph a tad. The stereo works great cruising or highway speed. When I use my mp3 and its amplifier, I stick it in my tank bag (w/map pocket). I also storage my digitial camera and portable gps in the tank bag.

XR customer service is friendly, helpful and order to delivery was fast.

I have the 9" windshield which hits me well below eye level. For touring I plan on buying a 15" windshield which should put the top of the windshield just below eye level.

The Honda Lightbar distance from the fairing is paper thin and I need to either add longer spacers and/or get smaller lights to get the clearance I need.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have the ABS version off of a 2008 Harley Street Glide and have nothing but good things to say about it. I'm fixin to remove it and install the Rifle fairing in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good information. I may try the plastic version after all and save myself some money, and a little weight to boot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts