Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting geared up for a 4 day Hill country ride on the twisted sisters. I had a rear valve cover leak on my 1800 vtx and just pulled on lift to knock that out.
I just seen my friend tire. BAD CHOP WEAR. I had the front shocks serviced new Springs installed less than a year ago..
More wear on left side not as bad on rt..
This is my 1st a front Me888 And I swear by Them. They handle and rod great I did notice a couple of days ago when slowing down under 20 miles an hour the front in felt a little bouncy I just thought it was the road anybody know what's causing this...
I probly only have 3000 miles on this tire I don't have a problem buying a nother one I just don't want this problem to tear another tire up

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Those look pretty rough. I like the 888 tires, but I also had cupping and some weird wear patterns. I’m running the Dunlop Elite 4 with good results. I personally would not head out on a trip with tires in that shape. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
112,000 miles I've tried them all. Bridgestone Battleaxe have been the best I've found in grip and longevity. Cycle tires have to be somewhat soft so they grip. The 18 is rough on tires, no doubt about it. Heavy, powerful bike. I read on here claims of (what is hard for me to imagine) guys getting 10,000 miles out of tires. I've never come close. Even the vaunted Dunlop Elites (rear) was toast at 7,000 miles. I don't do burnouts and very rarely pack a woman. I'm 200#. I do ride the dog yee out of it, and take off spur of the moment on long trips, so, I don't like to let them get down to where I've gotta think about them. Tried the Car tire thing and did not like it. Gave it a whole season. If it works for you great! Not for me. It's just the nature of the beast. I would routinely get close to 10,000 miles on the rear tire of my HD chopper ('71 to '04) and the front (21") was just along for the ride (no brake) so it lasted a couple of seasons. But that was a Pan/Shovel that made maybe 80hp. The 18 X is a different story. It eats rear tires.

·
Super Moderator
63,943 Posts
What's the pressure at in that tire? Most common cause for tire wear is improper tire pressures. You should also check the pressures weekly AT LEAST. I've seen tires like yours and the guy also couldn't understand why and then I checked the pressures and we get 20-25 pounds or less.

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
How do the forks feel? I mean is the damping okay? I had that problem with a different bike some years back and it was the forks. Had the forks serviced due to a leaking fork seal and they were way under filled. I knew something was off as fixing the seals didn't help handling at all, but I was financially strapped at the time, and living in an apartment so doing my own work wasn't an option. So I just rode it and destroyed the front tire. It looked a lot like yours.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I only ever had wear and cupping if I didn't keep correct pressure in my tires I check weekly now.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Damn tires are odd. My front will lose 7-8 psi in a few days. Then it just stops. I've been away from it near a month and never found it lower than 32. It gets set to 40. Rear never changes, set at 35 stays at 35. Same gauge, same compressor. Who knows? Checking them is the main thing. Tires, brakes, brake light, oil. Every ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Getting geared up for a 4 day Hill country ride on the twisted sisters. I had a rear valve cover leak on my 1800 vtx and just pulled on lift to knock that out.
I just seen my friend tire. BAD CHOP WEAR. I had the front shocks serviced new Springs installed less than a year ago..
This is my 1st a front Me888 And I swear by Them. They handle and rod great I did notice a couple of days ago when slowing down under 20 miles an hour the front in felt a little bouncy I just thought it was the road anybody know what's causing this...
I probly only have 3000 miles on this tire I don't have a problem buying a nother one I just don't want this problem to tear another tire up

View attachment 180828
Had same problem with the Metzler on front of my bike.at 4000 miles.went to E4 bo issues at 8000 miles.

·
Registered
40 Posts

View attachment 180828
Concrete sucks tire oil out of it. Causes bumps and wear. Funny I find it best to put bike on something other than concrete. Seen this unknown to most several times.

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
Damn tires are odd. My front will lose 7-8 psi in a few days. Then it just stops. I've been away from it near a month and never found it lower than 32. It gets set to 40. Rear never changes, set at 35 stays at 35. Same gauge, same compressor. Who knows? Checking them is the main thing. Tires, brakes, brake light, oil. Every ride.
I had a valve core did the same to me. Changed the core, no more issues. It's a cheap fix if yours is the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts