Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need help not sure what is going on, i have tried every imaganable setting on the planet. starting with the scar method todj kit and know the factorypro, ihave the pair valve removed with vance & hines big shots, extreme revolutions ultra airbox, 215 main 58 slow 2turns a/f it starts and idles at700 rpms until it is warmed up. my problem is that when it starts if i give it any gas it spits threw the carb and dies. i have tried every combo and i cannot get it to idle right. could it be in the shut off valve, i have double checked everywhere. it runs great after aminute or two i cannot use the choke it dies if i pull it out ahair. sorry for the windy post,thankyou

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
What position/clip do you have the needle on? Try adjusting the A/F mixture down a 1/4 turn at a time and see if there are any results. I would say that if after it warms up it runs great then you are close to where you need to be. You just need to fine tune it.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I would go to the 220 main, 2.5 turns out on the a/f, 4th clip from the top on the needle. Leave the #58 pilot jet in there also.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
factory pro setting

pweg33 said:
What position/clip do you have the needle on? Try adjusting the A/F mixture down a 1/4 turn at a time and see if there are any results. I would say that if after it warms up it runs great then you are close to where you need to be. You just need to fine tune it.
iam on the 4th slot sorry about that, what do you mean adjust it down leaner or richer the front plugs are spot on the rear ones are sooty

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
factorypro

VTXKC said:
I would go to the 220 main, 2.5 turns out on the a/f, 4th clip from the top on the needle. Leave the #58 pilot jet in there also.
do you think the 220 is to rich thanks for all the help

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have the 220 main 58 pilot 3rd clip on the needle and 2 turns on the A/F mixture screw. You are close, go take a ride and bring your D tool to adjust the A/F mixture. adjust it up and down and see which way it runs better. When you check the plugs are you doing a plug chop or just pulling the plugs at your house?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You need to do a plug chop to get an accurate reading. It you read up on the scar's method or send Scar a PM he can tell you the correct way to do a plug chop while out on the road. I belive you have to open the bike full throttle and once you get in the 70 to 80 range hit the emergency shut off switch, pull your clutch in and coast over to the side of the road. Check your plug right there on the spot to get an accurate reading.

·
Registered
353 Posts
CARB

I hade the same problem with the 220 main AND 58 pilot AT 2 1/2 TURNS out
I kept trying different combo all the way down to A 200 main with a 58 pilot and with the stock 55 pilot. I called factory and they told me I could turn the af screw all the way down to 3/4 turn out to 4 turns out. I ended up with a 215 main and the 58 pilot at 1 3/4 turns out it stumbles a little at start up but in 30 seconds it runs fine. I turn my idel up after starting it and let it run a few seconds and then put it back it runs great and pulls very strong I have reworked exhust and a thunder tear drop intake .
good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you still can't figure it out, give the tech line at factory pro a call. Those guys really know their stuff. We've had several issues down at the shop and they were able to walk us through the process over the phone.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
to everybody that responded

thank you for all of your info i like the way you all respond without guys like you i would get nowhere, again thanks from the bottom of my heart

·
Registered
321 Posts
I been having kinda the same issue.. I have the same air filter and set of custom pipes from mortons.. and I can't seem to get it tuned right..

i did the scar method
3 shims
stock 195 main jet
stock 55 slow jet
and 2 1/2 turns on the A/f

and it idles great but shuts off when I try to take off..

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
dragnize said:
I been having kinda the same issue.. I have the same air filter and set of custom pipes from mortons.. and I can't seem to get it tuned right..

i did the scar method
3 shims
stock 195 main jet
stock 55 slow jet
and 2 1/2 turns on the A/f

and it idles great but shuts off when I try to take off..
You have a vacuum line leak/open.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
vacuum

i thought the same thing i replaced all the lines it still does the samething. i did take the filter off so i could watch the slide when i rolled the throttle it shot out a flame and allmost got me in the face. i have no clue,if i feathered the throttle it would raise the slide not sure how it is supposeed to work.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Call tech line at factory pro Like Jonesy suggested they are great and can walk you through it ( Its Free )
Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts