Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background.... former rider of 06 1300 c - candy orange, returned to riding last yr and picked up 2007 1300 c - black. Got bored so had the wheels powder coated gloss black and love it.

Next up... hated the beated soft leather bags and ripped those off since I got it.i want the HD black out look but without laying 35k for the RG.

Are VTXs still alive out there?

1. If so where the heck can I find some harley style black hard shell bags (not the round fat bubbly look thats only found on google!? Wood prefer with tale lights but now desperate, can do without.

2. If so, where can I find a gloss black fairing that has blue tooth radio without costing 2k? I do not want to listen to local crap.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
64,385 Posts
The VTX died in 2008, so finding things is getting tougher and tougher with each passing year. You are also asking for cool stuff to have, but don't want to drop much money on it. Understandable but in this case start looking at Ebay for used HD bags and fairing and make the mounts yourself. Other cheap places for parts are scrap yards.

·
Super Moderator
64,385 Posts
BTW....I also wanted a VTX Tourer to come from Honda but they never made one. So I was going to build one myself and started my own "Story board" to plan out my build with estimated costs. After putting together a VTX touring machine with full fairing with gauges and radio, hard bags and trunk painted to match and more with all the labor, parts, fabricating paint and powder coating it was just as much as a ready to ride Harley Road Glide and the Harley added a warranty, ABS brakes, 6 forward gears, touring suspension and geometry and infinite aftermarket parts that are cheaper than metric parts. I went with a Road Glide and put over 50,000 trouble free miles on it.

·
Registered
2008 1300T
1,346 Posts
Would these work with the OEM Hondaline Backrest, Luggage Rack, and Brackets?
TYVM

The mounting system has changed since mine were purchased, as I said this is the updated version. Mine work with the Hondaline backrest and luggage rack, the brackets were not used to mount mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm thinking of just dropping on fairing but the cheaper versions don't mention anything about brackets needed or if they come with it or not, aside from Tky and Reckless which are around 700- 1100 with without radio and take forever to get.

I was researching to see if I can just attach a blue tooth speaker but likely won't be able to hear it without Amp.

Not all fairing advertisements indicate radio details and whether it is blue tooth or not.

Any thoughts on blue tooth option?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I wanted a batwing with double DIN and touchscreen. so I went with TKY's GPS batwing. As long as you tell them you have a 1300/1800 R/S/T model, you will get the hardware that attaches to the between the triple trees. This is by far a better design than simply clamping to the forks.

I have since replaced the Nakamichi amp and speakers with a Rockford Fosgate 400W amp and Polk Audio 6x9s. I am very happy, even with changing the amp and speakers. Their internal wiring was good, so it was just swapping out parts and tuning the amp.

I wrapped the batwing in silver and black, then added a 3m clear film over it (by "I", I mean I paid to have it done). The inner shell is simply the gel coat still.

I put the speaker grills on that came with the Polk Audio speakers since the last picture.

They have updated their headunit a few times since I got mine, so my batwing shell design for the radio is the older design.
Tsukayu Fairing, Hard Saddlebags and Touring Trunk

·
Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
238 Posts
I like the double DIN! My 1800 came with a reckless single DIN. I changed the radio to a Jensen (don't laugh) because it had Bluetooth. There are kuryakyn speakers in it and at dinner point I might get an amp and new speakers. The Bluetooth radios can be hard to hear over aftermarket pipes and wind.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
that is very nice, and it worked with risers? Interesting...
Thank you. It only worked with the risers because it is triple tree mounted with adjustable angle. I had to adjust the angle so it clears. I initially adjusted it while off the bike then realized that it wasn't enough. the Tsukayu batwing has rubber bushings at the mounting point so when the wind pushes on the batwing it actually leans closer to you. I went back and adjusted it again and I can "just" clear it now.

I may at some point go with longer handlebars. If I do, I will remove the risers and go stock height, and make up for it on the handlebar height.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I like the double DIN! My 1800 came with a reckless single DIN. I changed the radio to a Jensen (don't laugh) because it had Bluetooth. There are kuryakyn speakers in it and at dinner point I might get an amp and new speakers. The Bluetooth radios can be hard to hear over aftermarket pipes and wind.
With my setup, with the volume all the way up (I never go over 24 on my volume) someone behind me can hear it clearly over my exhaust and their own exhaust. I have no problem hearing any song.

I gauge a good setup by testing if you can make out the lyrics on a song you have never heard before at full speed. If you can do this, you have all the loudness you will ever need.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW....I also wanted a VTX Tourer to come from Honda but they never made one. So I was going to build one myself and started my own "Story board" to plan out my build with estimated costs. After putting together a VTX touring machine with full fairing with gauges and radio, hard bags and trunk painted to match and more with all the labor, parts, fabricating paint and powder coating it was just as much as a ready to ride Harley Road Glide and the Harley added a warranty, ABS brakes, 6 forward gears, touring suspension and geometry and infinite aftermarket parts that are cheaper than metric parts. I went with a Road Glide and put over 50,000 trouble free miles on it.
Thank you. It only worked with the risers because it is triple tree mounted with adjustable angle. I had to adjust the angle so it clears. I initially adjusted it while off the bike then realized that it wasn't enough. the Tsukayu batwing has rubber bushings at the mounting point so when the wind pushes on the batwing it actually leans closer to you. I went back and adjusted it again and I can "just" clear it now.

I may at some point go with longer handlebars. If I do, I will remove the risers and go stock height, and make up for it on the handlebar height.
Are we concluding that I cant put bat wing fairing if I have typical risers. If so my bubble is busted for my future look...see current risers
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Are we concluding that I cant put bat wing fairing if I have typical risers. If so my bubble is busted for my future look...see current risers View attachment 211630
No, not saying you can't have them. The Tsukayu batwing has a weatherproof door that swings up. If you get one with a door that also swings up, you may have a problem.

When you are ordering a batwing, if you can get a triple tree mounted design, it may give you the ability to rotate the batwing, where a fork mounted design wont.

I had to rotate mine forward at the top after I added my risers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts