Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know what is the widest tire I can put on my stock '04, 15" rim 1300C? The stock tire is a 170, the mechanic suggested a 190, but I've seen various threads about 200.......... your thoughts.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
170. Anything wider than that on a 1300 rim is a waste of money. Virtually no visible difference. For the next step up you need to switch to an 1800 wheel to see a width difference.

·
Registered
370 Posts
170. Anything wider than that on a 1300 rim is a waste of money. Virtually no visible difference. For the next step up you need to switch to an 1800 wheel to see a width difference.
Once heard that a 180 Metz or Avon looked wider and better than a 200 on the 1300 rim, haven't seen one yet. Think we still need the 1800 for any improvement?:dontknow:

·
Registered
721 Posts
+1....I did this in the fall and love the look and ride with the 200. Look for the rims on sale here and jump on them quick. They go fast!

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
+1....I did this in the fall and love the look and ride with the 200. Look for the rims on sale here and jump on them quick. They go fast!
Where's "here"? Been wanting something wider but don't want to break the bank. How do I find these 1800 rims?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got mine off the classifieds forum , their also on ebay from time to time. Be sure and do a search for the foots mod or slapjack if you intend to go 1800 rim with a 200 as you will need more than just the rim. good luck
Cybrhick sells a rear rotor for about $65.00. That will make the change over really simple and less expensive.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I need to know what is the widest tire I can put on my stock '04, 15" rim 1300C? The stock tire is a 170, the mechanic suggested a 190, but I've seen various threads about 200.......... your thoughts.
I have a friend with a 200, just got finished measuring the diff on my 170 stock and his 200 Metz, <than 3/8" and barely noticeable standing back 10 feet or so. Our opinion is that the price difference is NOT worth it. Still heard that a 180 Metz or Avon looks wider than these options, has anyone seen or heard anything like this? I have looked for a Metz or Avon 180 to fit the 15" rim on the 1300C but have not seen them yet. Is there another option or are we going 1800 rim all the way??:confused:

·
Registered
370 Posts
if you want the fat tire look need to go all the way,I beat it around for months and just jumped in
All the way means 240, right? Is it because of the shaft that we can't go wider? Has anyone actually tried to set up a 280 or 300 (or is that just geometrically impossible to do)? Would love to know the real limits with this machine!:tools:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hey thetriminator could we see more pics of the bike.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Never mind I found em. By the way welcome.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
All the way means 240, right? Is it because of the shaft that we can't go wider? Has anyone actually tried to set up a 280 or 300 (or is that just geometrically impossible to do)? Would love to know the real limits with this machine!:tools:
300 has been done, Single sided swingarm has been done, and chain drive has been done.

Check out www.stumpwerx.com for some Phat ideas.

·
Registered
70 Posts
there are no limits when it comes to bikes, I hav a half breed(front end is harley tribal) cheaper then chroming the honda front end

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
my bike has 250 on it rigid frame wanted that fender to hug the tire, and bt the way the single swing arm was done by the guy doing my bike
There are more than 1 single side setup I have seen. One was a custom made swingarm. Another was a Wing swingarm converted to fit the X.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have a friend with a 200, just got finished measuring the diff on my 170 stock and his 200 Metz, <than 3/8" and barely noticeable standing back 10 feet or so. Our opinion is that the price difference is NOT worth it. Still heard that a 180 Metz or Avon looks wider than these options, has anyone seen or heard anything like this? I have looked for a Metz or Avon 180 to fit the 15" rim on the 1300C but have not seen them yet. Is there another option or are we going 1800 rim all the way??:confused:
I am not the best in math but 300 mm= 3.0cm= 1.18 inches?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts