Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, riding season is all most over here in Michigan. Putting together the list of maintenance and planned upgrades on the 04 C 1800 for the winter. The shock bushings are toast and im thinking of upgrading the shocks to 412's.. X chopper has em listed for $249 which is about the best price i have found. The only issue is the 412's only come with a 1yr warranty and if i but them now, 7 months of that warranty will be spent sitting in the garage over the winter. I would wait till summer but that price might not be available then. My question to the collective is: can anyone who has installed the 412's speak to the quality of the 412's and has anyone had to return or had warranty issues with the 412's in the first year or two of installing them? thanks all. replies appreciated. Oh, and has anyone tried to install the stock chrome shock covers over the 412's? just wonderin if theyll fit or not. thanks

·
Super Moderator
63,876 Posts
Buy them elsewhere to protect you. That site is banned here and on several other sites for poor business practices. That aside, the 412's are not much better than stock. If you're stock shock was broken, then I'd say replace it with a 412 for better than stock suspension. You're wanting to upgrade so I'd say go with the 430 or 440 series as these are much better than stock in both ride and performance. Here's a little video from Progressive to show the differences;

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Progressive 444's go for over $600.

Reactions: SavageVTX

·
Registered
468 Posts
I put 444 on my 02 1800C. Love them. Also upgraded the fronts after passing the 50k miles mark. Bike handles beautifully.

Try PartsGiant at different times during the day. The 444s were like $90 cheaper in the middle of the day compared to late at night. Strange, but true.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I bought a set of 412's used from someone here. Don't remember who because it was almost 13 years ago. Still riding them and never had an issue. I ride solo so I don't know if that helps since I don't over load the shocks. I still have the stock shocks, they only have about 500 miles on them, in case the 412's ever decide to break.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I put on a pair of used 412s that I was gifted. Ended up replacing the bushings for $8 from Progressive themselves. FWIW I noticed a difference from stock [6' 1" 215# daily rider of 05 1800R & 04 1300S].

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Looks like i may end up with the 412's as i just spent the last hour researching the 440's on line and cannot find them. Even the progressive website does not list a 440 series, at least not for the C model. They list the 412 series/ the 430 series /and the 444 series.....no 440. maybe the 440 has been discontinued? So after a search for the 430 series they are not available EITHER! LOL... only a hand full of sites have the 430 available or in stock but they only offer the 11.5" model which i do not want. The 12" 430 series are not available or out of stock everywhere. So my only options at this point are... Wait until summer and see whats available. Go with the 412's which are plentiful online. or go with the 444's which are around $700 ( and that aint gonna happen) LOL. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The 444's are the 440 series, just the newest and latest

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I put a set of 412’s on my T in May. A member here suggested getting the poly bushings for them to upgrade from the ones that come with them. I am now looking for the poly bushings. The ones that came with are shot already. Very disappointing. Other than that, they are much better than my worn out stock shocks. I like them. I just bought a set of Progressive springs for the front.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I put a set of 412’s on my T in May. A member here suggested getting the poly bushings for them to upgrade from the ones that come with them. I am now looking for the poly bushings. The ones that came with are shot already. Very disappointing. Other than that, they are much better than my worn out stock shocks. I like them. I just bought a set of Progressive springs for the front.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.
I guess an I told you so is in order here...j/k HAHAHA. It sucks that the design of our bikes make them eat bushings...

Original Poster, I did Poly bushings before I installed the 412s after reading that the Progressive rubber bushings are garbage (some people report them going bad within 500 miles). They are a PAIN to install, but once in, they seem like they will outlast the shocks. You can order the bushings directly from Progressive. You do not need to use the metal sleeve, the bushings slide directly onto the OEM mounting points.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I guess an I told you so is in order here...j/k HAHAHA. It sucks that the design of our bikes make them eat bushings...

Original Poster, I did Poly bushings before I installed the 412s after reading that the Progressive rubber bushings are garbage (some people report them going bad within 500 miles). They are a PAIN to install, but once in, they seem like they will outlast the shocks. You can order the bushings directly from Progressive. You do not need to use the metal sleeve, the bushings slide directly onto the OEM mounting points.

ya, ya, ya.......

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just put the 412's in 11.5" on my bike this summer and immediately noticed a big improvement over stock. It's still not going to ride a like a Goldwing, but it's most certainly a step or two up from the oil shocks Honda saddled us with. May swap them out for a set of 444's this spring, if Progressive can send me a set. Seems everyone everywhere is sold out on them and restocking is months away. The only reason I didn't go with the 444's right off the bat, is because the place I was buying from only had them in the HD model and riding season would have been over with by the time the ones I wanted would have shown up.

For the money, they're a good shock. As others have already state, the stock rubber bushings suck. I honestly don't even know why these are sold with them, at all. Mine are holding up ok, but I'll most certainly be picking up a set of the green poly bushings in the near future. Especially if they turn out to be on back order like most of their shocks are?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts