Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several of you were helpful before in giving me ideas of how to solve my problem with my bike cutting out, stalling and the FI light coming on. After a few miles of riding if I give it some gas, shortly thereafter the bike still seems to choke on the gas or maybe it’s not getting the right amount. In any event, I get stranded. I did the ground fix underneath the seat and the coil ground looks okay under the tank. I got rid of the vampire clip and soldered the PCIII connection. I check the battery terminals with a screw driver and they were tight. Any thing else?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All we did over the winter was install the thunder tear drop and PCIII. The dealer mentioned there could be a sensor on the tear drop that I didn't replace or cap off, but I don't think that would affect the Fuel Injectors??? and they're 2 weeks out and the big ride is next weekend.

·
Registered
110 Posts
cutting out

MN You can unplug the pcIII from the ECU, & plug in the original honda harness. Then try it. You will not have to take the pc out, just exchange harnesses.

I had a similar problem with my pcIII. Bike ran ok without it at least as far as it cutting out etc. They (pcIII) took care of it under warranty even though it was about to expire.

Steve T

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bump - anyone have any other ideas for this guy? We haven't tried unplugging the PCII yet but we will but I'm doubtful. Anything else to try?

L

·
0 Posts
MN Guy,

The sensor on the airbox is the IAT and most definately will effect the FI system. If you do not have the sensor plugged in the FI light will come on and the bike will run in the default mode (temp at 25 degrees celsius). If the bike is cutting out when it is cold it may be because the fuel ratio is hosed because of the sensor. It may be the PCIII but for sure the IAT will cause the FI light to come on. Check the error codes stored in the ECU it will tell you what the ECU thinks is wrong with the FI. If you don't know how to check the codes, find someone with a shop manual and follow the instructions there. Until you check the codes, you are shooting in the dark. Definitely hook up the IAT to the electrical plug in the harness. If there is a place to mount the IAT sensor in the air cleaner you should do that. It will greatly improve the operation of the FI.

Lonewolf

L

·
0 Posts
MN Guy,

One other thing. The IAT sensor is on the OEM airbox and had a 2 wire electrical connector hooked to it. You should have transfered the sensor to the new airbox. If the new airbox does not have a place to mount it, you should make a place for it to mount so the the pointy end is in the filtered airstream next to the throttle intake openings.

Lonewolf

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
mn guy said:
I did the ground fix underneath the seat and the coil ground looks okay under the tank.
If you didn't do the fix on the coil bracket, then you didn't do the fix at all. You can't tell whether it's working by looking at it. Go fix it, then let us know whether you still have a problem. The ground under the seat is just a backup starter ground, fixing it won't do much. The electronics, all sensors, fuel injectors, coil signals, etc. all ground at the coil bracket.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Answering for MN Guy as a friend (he has limited internet access). It seems to happen after the bike is warmed up and after about 5 miles or so. When it's cold, never an issue. As far as the sensor is concerned, I am familar with the IAT that you are refering to Wolf and I know that it is installed correctly in the Hypercharger cause I installed it!! My wife will tell ya, I never make mistakes! :lol:

Anyway, We will do the coil ground fix - is there a way to get at that sucker without removing the tank? Doesn't look like it - we'll also try unplugging the PCIII. Anything else anyone can think of?

Thanks a lot guys - what a bummer -

·
Registered
803 Posts
Make sure your fuel filter isn't clogged. If they're cheap, just replace it. A
clogged fuel filter can exhibit the same symptoms you described.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
wccoman said:
Answering for MN Guy as a friend (he has limited internet access). It seems to happen after the bike is warmed up and after about 5 miles or so. When it's cold, never an issue. As far as the sensor is concerned, I am familar with the IAT that you are refering to Wolf and I know that it is installed correctly in the Hypercharger cause I installed it!! My wife will tell ya, I never make mistakes! :lol:

Anyway, We will do the coil ground fix - is there a way to get at that sucker without removing the tank? Doesn't look like it - we'll also try unplugging the PCIII. Anything else anyone can think of?

Thanks a lot guys - what a bummer -
Not that it's hard to remove the tank, it's really not - but it can be done without removing the tank, I do them all the time. Just slide it back on the backbone of the bike and it should give you plenty of space to work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts