Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer I am going to for service states they now change Final Drive oil every 4000 miles??? Has anyone heard of this...is it something new from Honda?

Also, has anyone heard anything about Spectro 80/90 (this is what they use)? They say I can get it in petro-base or Synthetic.

Appreciate knowing if anyone else has knowledge of this.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Sounds like overkill to me :?:

Spectro products are very good. I have used them and they are quality. A lot of Xr's use Amzoil and like there products also.

My .02

Jim...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That's nutz...maybe 40,000. I am going to do it at each wheel change. oops that 90,000-mile Michelin HE CT might make that a bit long between changes. :)

For me, I am going to make a final fluid change part of my seasonal maintenance. So little effort involved and a quart of good synthetic gear oil will last a few years. :)

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
VTXKC said:
I change mine once a year
Once per year for me as well....which is about 20,000 miles. Service manual calls for it to be changed every 24K.

All of this stuff is in your owners manual as well. :wink:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
doing it myself?

The only thing that keeps me from doing it myself is that thing of having to "lift" the bike and turn the wheel...don't have the means to do that. Is it necessary to turn the wheel to drain it, or does it merely make it faster?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Don't have to but it does get more of that old fluid out that is caught up in the gears. I would not worry if you do not get that last .5 - .75 ounce of fluid out. Gear oil is cheap. just squirt a couple ounces in, push your bike back and forth a couple times and redrain the fluid out. Then fill to level with fill hole (4.1 oz or so) and ride on. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it one of those things where if 75w90 oil is good, then 75w140 is even better? (I always like going to the extreme whenever possible...ha!)

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
maj1950 said:
The dealer I am going to for service states they now change Final Drive oil every 4000 miles.
Hmmmm - what possible reason would the dealer give for this short interval? Maybe so they can change it 6 times as often as the manual says?

CHA-CHING :pepper1:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok gentlemen...sounds like I got some kind of BS from Dealer...it didn't seem right to me, but ya never know.

Anyway, I guess it's just one more reason to do what I can myself, limited though that may be. Sometimes I am lazy and want someone else do those things too...but I usually end up regretting it, or having to re-do it anyway.

Thanx for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Just another step on life's path of learning. Only draining 4-5 oz so goes really quickly. Drain plug on bottom. Fill plug on upper right. Relax, enjoy it. Life goes on.

Dealer was defeinetly trying to tap ya a little. :evil:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Unless you see the dealer change the oil it will probably sit in the workshop until you collect it. Six invoices.......still the original oil. Yep, dealer bashing, but a lot of them deserve it. I always post positive experiences on this site when dealing with bike shops.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just did a service plan so my services are all paid for, for 36 months after I bought the bike no matter how many miles I put on in those 36 months. If they do it or not I don't know, but if they do, it is paid for.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
The owner's manual states to replace the final drive oil at 24,000 miles. I did mine at 18,000 or so, because I wanted to go to synthetic.

Eddie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts