Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a carryover from my job, I watch to see trends in failures and problems with our VTX's and there seems to be certain components that just have not had many failures. In fact I was on this forum before I bought my bike and it was these trends, or actually, the lack thereof that convinced me to go with the VTX.

For the most part, Honda has built a solid machine. Yes, they turned a completely blind eye to the hundreds of comments about issues that would require minor engineering solutions such as the stock seat or the steering head bearings on the 1300 (really unforgiveable that one), etc. But the actual number of posts about head oil leaks, or transmission failures, or other costly repair failures are comparatively rare.

For instance, has any one had a rear drive failure? We swap them out and complain of oil coming out the breather (its purpose) or possible a rear drive shaft seal seeping but has anyone really had a gear failure?

Show has probably seen the inners of more gears here than any one else. He and I exchanged a couple messages a while back about wear patterns he sees and such. My impression was it is usually not an issue at all. They wear well. Drive shafts have been broken but it was usually people that ride the bike to and past its limits such as for drag racing. But the daily rider seems to just not see many catostrophic mechanical failures.

·
Mad Hatter
21,352 Posts
Good catch!! Never heard of one eighter...

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
The only "issue" I know of regarding the actual hypoid gearset in these bikes & the valkyries is the material lost in intial break-in is more than I've seen in other makes of shaft bikes. I don't know if Honda sets them up a little tight or the driven gear teeth aren't finished as smooth as other gearboxes I've worked with or......? If you drain the drive's oil with even just 1000 miles on it you'll usually find it loaded with brass "glitter" from the driven gear. Not a biggie, and super quick & easy to change the oil-but more brass than I would expect. Just change it out with synthetic every first few motor oil changes and it'll be flushed out and running cooler, but the first few drains will usually have a lot of metal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts