Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to do a final drive oil change. A little confused on the amount to put in. Do you put in exactly 4.1 ounces or fill it till it pours out of the fill hole? I cant find a syringe like some people have been using, so I dont know of anyway to measure out 4.1 oz. But if I fill it till it pours out, how do I know I got enough oil in there, since my bike is lowered and it leans a lot more on the kickstand than it did stock. Thanks. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
I filled mine till it ran out with the bike upright(the position that the grumpy old Honda mechanic told me to use).21,000 miles since I did it that way & no adverse effects,so I guess I will continue to do mine that way.BTW,why does your bike lean more on the kickstand after lowering instead of less?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
I'd put a block of wood under the sidestand and fill the drive till it runs out of the filler hole. That will be close to the correct level and I wouldn't worry..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
dakota said:
I filled mine till it ran out with the bike upright(the position that the grumpy old Honda mechanic told me to use).21,000 miles since I did it that way & no adverse effects,so I guess I will continue to do mine that way.BTW,why does your bike lean more on the kickstand after lowering instead of less?
Its not a good thing to fill it upright as an overfill will blow oil out of the vent and onto the tire. That problem has been posted here before. Fill only on the sidestand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
Spederman said:
I'm not sure why it leans more now that its lowered. It seems like it does, unless its all in my head. :shock:
Unless you shortened the sidestand it IS all in your head.... :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
silvervtx04s said:
dakota said:
I filled mine till it ran out with the bike upright(the position that the grumpy old Honda mechanic told me to use).21,000 miles since I did it that way & no adverse effects,so I guess I will continue to do mine that way.BTW,why does your bike lean more on the kickstand after lowering instead of less?
Its not a good thing to fill it upright as an overfill will blow oil out of the vent and onto the tire. That problem has been posted here before. Fill only on the sidestand.
Not to start an argument with you,but as I said,mine has been that way for 21,000 miles & no oil has came out of the vent so far.I thought that folks had stated in the past that the service manual said to fill on sidestand,but I wonder if that might be a misprint.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
dakota said:
silvervtx04s said:
dakota said:
I filled mine till it ran out with the bike upright(the position that the grumpy old Honda mechanic told me to use).21,000 miles since I did it that way & no adverse effects,so I guess I will continue to do mine that way.BTW,why does your bike lean more on the kickstand after lowering instead of less?
Its not a good thing to fill it upright as an overfill will blow oil out of the vent and onto the tire. That problem has been posted here before. Fill only on the sidestand.
Not to start an argument with you,but as I said,mine has been that way for 21,000 miles & no oil has came out of the vent so far.I thought that folks had stated in the past that the service manual said to fill on sidestand,but I wonder if that might be a misprint.?

No argument its to be filled on the sidestand , its not a misprint in the book. We have hashed this out on the board before. I have seen on an 1100 the effects of filling upright...It wasn't pretty. I don't want to start an
argument but it is a safety issue and we should get the correct info out here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
I have difficulity geting my '04 1300C to take the 4+ ounces on the sidestand, it has to be upright to get it all in - and yes I measure it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
You folks need to stop measuring. On level ground with the bike on the sidestand fill it till it runs out of the filler hole ,put the plug in and and ride. Try not to make brain surgery out of popping a pimple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,774 Posts
If you can't find a syringe - you can use an oil can with a flex spout. The oil is thick so you need to let it settle and make sure you're not just squirting it on the gears and having it splash back at you. The spout will allow you to point the stream down into the case.

And yes - please fill it on the sidestand till it runs out. Watch the torque on the filler hole cap - I think its 9 ft/lbs - not a lot. Get a chunk of cap in there and it wont much matter if you got in 3.9 or 4.1 :wink:

 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top