Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say Hello as I am a new member here and just started rideing again after 20 years. To my luck I bought a VTX 1300c and now at 20k on it I would like to change out the final drive oil. I was looking at going with Royal Purple 75-90wt. This is fully synthetic and avaible at my local ABC Auto parts. Any thoughts on this or is there another oil that is perfered?

W

·
0 Posts
I have used RP, it works great, I used it in the engine and trany all so, only problem I have, you just cant run to town and get it. Thats why I went to Mobil 1

·
Registered
230 Posts
Add Moly??

A while back there was a formula to add some moly treatment from guard dog to the final drive oil. But I cannot seem to find it. Maybe someone else would know. :dontknow:

MikeB.

·
Old Goat
25,660 Posts
A while back there was a formula to add some moly treatment from guard dog to the final drive oil. But I cannot seem to find it. Maybe someone else would know. :dontknow:

MikeB.

Well a great big old welcome , Look for tappers gravy mix, I gonna just put a dollup of moly paste in mine with the amsoil gear oil :dontknow:

·
Registered
694 Posts

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
I think you can not go wrong with any synthetics (how one defines "it works great" I am unsure)...but there is multiple studies on synthetics in general (google). I think the leading contenders have been Amsoil, Mobil and RP...people have used with no complaints that I have seen. Personally, I add a bit of moly paste to mine...it is what the bike came with from the factory.

Bull

·
Registered
208 Posts
rear drive

Consensus on the FJR 1300 for LD platforms is Mobil 1 75/90 synthetic or Amsoil. Most use Mobil:firstplace: 1 as it is easier to find and cheaper in price. BMW guys have a special cocktail for their rear drives and it don't help em much. Still have massive failures. I have had shafted bikes since '81, mostly Honda's. Mobil 1 since I started using it has served me well. Over 150,000 miles on my shaft bikes with no failures or problems. As easy as it is I change the rear drive every other oil change.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
How often do you change to final drive fluid.
Change every 24,000 miles per the service manual, or sooner if you want.

·
Registered
208 Posts
final drive

Why let it go to 24,000? As stated above I change mine every other oil change. Its easy to do, cheap as it takes very little oil and for peace of mind I do it. Its clean each change but thats a good thing.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Why let it go to 24,000? As stated above I change mine every other oil change. Its easy to do, cheap as it takes very little oil and for peace of mind I do it. Its clean each change but thats a good thing.
You can change it more often if you want but the final isn't subject to the same contamination levels of your crankcase. It really isn't necessary to change it so often.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
No opinions for a change, just a welcome...:grin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks

Thank you all for the help. Moble 1 I like but can not find it where I live. The parts store has th RP.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Gear lube

Always go synthetic.
The diff uses only about 2 oz.

·
Registered
208 Posts
RP

IIRC RP is not a full synthetic. It a petrol base with additives. I am sure I will be corrected if wrong.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts