Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!
During winter wondered what else to do on my old 2002 1800C... Decided on final drive swap. Got one from 1300 on ebay and put it on right now. Noticed that real wheel rim got stuck in left side of swing arm. Wheel completely blocked.
Any advice?
  • shall I use particular size spacer on axle between final drive and wheel?
  • shall I take inside from 1300 and put in 1800 final drive carcass?
  • do anything else :)
Why am I asking? Never found here anything but discussion on gear rates and rpm changes, no step by step "how-to" instruction about such mod...

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
There is a spacer that comes out of the final drive sometimes.
Compare the 1300 vs 1800 and see if that spacer is missing.
It goes up against the drive flange, prevents wheel going too far left.
Final drive housings are the same.

Attachments

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Aside from the different ratios, the final drives are identical in dimension. Make sure the male cog (on wheel) goes fully into the female cog on drive. Some rotation of the wheel (trans in gear) will be required to align drive teeth. Can of corn.

·
Super Moderator
63,733 Posts
What Blast said, they are identical in size, just the inside ratios are different. You don't have the wheel fully inside the final drive. I used to put the bike in gear to help with this. That will hold the trans still while you spin the wheel to align the gears

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What Blast said, they are identical in size, just the inside ratios are different. You don't have the wheel fully inside the final drive. I used to put the bike in gear to help with this. That will hold the trans still while you spin the wheel to align the gears
I will try today again, but now it looks that wheel is too deep inside the final drive, therefore rim touches swing arm left side...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a spacer that comes out of the final drive sometimes.
Compare the 1300 vs 1800 and see if that spacer is missing.
It goes up against the drive flange, prevents wheel going too far left.
Final drive housings are the same.
Really my fault! Was a bit dark outside and did not notice that the distance collar is missing in 1300 drive... :) Put it from 1800 drive. Haven't yet tried on the road, but on hydraulic lift bike performed little weird. Vibrating vertically... I'm 100% sure that rear tire is balanced. It was done in front of me.

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
It’s probably fine if you put all the parts in and don’t have any rubs. Take it for a spin and report back.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the road bike performed well, immediately noticed that 1st gear is longer. Bike is still doing well in 5th gear on speed between 50-60 km/h. Some time ago I calculated that perimeter of 240/40/18 tire is by 1,4% shorter than stock 180/70/16, so, the gain from 1300 drive is little less on my bike.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Yeah, makes 1st usable. Makes 4th a gas. And 5th, well, there you go.

·
Registered
157 Posts
most bikes... the final drive swap.. is 300 rpm's difference at 60mph.= 96kph.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts