Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a 2003 VTX 1800R with 19K miles on it. Everytime I get to a stop, the front wheel makes a weird dragging noise which I dont know how to explain the noise. Also the ride is firm. I know that we can adjust the settings for the rear forks. But the front forks are firm, I can feel every bit of the uneven patches on the road. Since the front forks are firm, Im not getting the confidence while approaching a curve. the motorcycle has progressive front and rear shocks. Any input is much appreciated.

Loksher

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Hello all,
I have a 2003 VTX 1800R with 19K miles on it. Everytime I get to a stop, the front wheel makes a weird dragging noise which I dont know how to explain the noise. Also the ride is firm. I know that we can adjust the settings for the rear forks. But the front forks are firm, I can feel every bit of the uneven patches on the road. Since the front forks are firm, Im not getting the confidence while approaching a curve. the motorcycle has progressive front and rear shocks. Any input is much appreciated.

Loksher
First, welcome to the Board!

You seem to be describing two separate issues, wheel/brake and suspension.

I don't have progressives, so one who does can chime in and give you some advise.

The "dragging" noise at the front is likely your brake pads, normal to hear a "slushing" sound as the pads drag on the rotor. Assuming your front wheel turns freely on a lift, it's not the wheel. If you discover an issue braking or the calipers do not close and open freely when you squeeze the front brake lever, it could be your caliper, which can get gunked up and not close as readily or fully as it should.

If the "dragging" is noise, no problemo, that's normal sound for the VTX. If it's a feel, however, then it could be one of several issues: the tire is not aligned properly, the brake pads have not been seated properly, the caliper is frozen or the tire is cupped.

Clear up the ""drag" issue first to be sure that you are not having a steering or braking concern. Again, if the wheel turns freely, the brake does its job and the tire is not cupped, you should be safe to ride and address the suspension.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Are the original owner?

Hello all,

Loksher

Sounds like two different issues.

Just checking to see if you have owned it all along, or have a good idea of what might have been done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RE Firm Ride and noise while coming to a stop

Im not the original owner. I just bought the motorcycle as used from a single owner. I ride motorcycles for 14 years mostly sport motorcycles. this is my first cruiser. The information I got from the previous owner was the front forks seals were done recently and the dragging noise was due to the brakes since the motorcycle was not quite often used and It will fade out gradually. But from my understanding after the rode the motorcycle, the dragging noise is not coming only when i apply front brakes at slower speeds, it also appears when i take off from stop (implying no brakes were applied, the noise appears) and fades out as speed increases. the dragging noise i mentioned could be compared to noise that appears on drum breaks.

Thank you Highway 61 for your valuable input. I will have to lift the motorcycle and do the checks you mentioned.

and 6sigmaford, I think now you have an idea of what the issue could be. Thank you for your response.

Loksher

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Im not the original owner. I just bought the motorcycle as used from a single owner. I ride motorcycles for 14 years mostly sport motorcycles. this is my first cruiser. The information I got from the previous owner was the front forks seals were done recently and the dragging noise was due to the brakes since the motorcycle was not quite often used and It will fade out gradually. But from my understanding after the rode the motorcycle, the dragging noise is not coming only when i apply front brakes at slower speeds, it also appears when i take off from stop (implying no brakes were applied, the noise appears) and fades out as speed increases. the dragging noise i mentioned could be compared to noise that appears on drum breaks.

Thank you Highway 61 for your valuable input. I will have to lift the motorcycle and do the checks you mentioned.

and 6sigmaford, I think now you have an idea of what the issue could be. Thank you for your response.

Loksher
The "slushing" sound comes from the natural drag of the pads on the rotors when NOT applying the brakes. I believe what you are hearing is normal; you hear it better at lower speeds.

The rule-outs are simply to be sure that something else isn't going on. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
if I was you, just to make sure. go to http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/wheels-tires/removeinstall-front-tire-vtx-1800/
look at the pics and inspect your front tire to make sure its aligned properly. if its not, then should be an easy fix. and depending on the brake pads, if they were soaked with fork fluid or not, it could also make them not work as well as they should.

my first guess would be to check the locations of the spacers and make sure they are correct. then you can move on to more in-depth analysis.

also when I redid my front forks, I found that it was very difficult to fix that "hard as a rock" feel in the front.
vtx's dont have any "dampening system" upfront. you gotta do it by feel and set up the fluid inside to make it a bit softer.
the manual recomends a certain amount, I put in the amount that they said exactly and my forks would beat you to death just going down the road. So I had to take some fluid out to make it work how I liked it. (sitting on the bike, right side fork tube) I removed 3 oz to start with, it was too soft, put back in 1.5 oz and it was just about perfect. this also has alot to do with the drivers weight, I am a rather large fellow so what works for me may not be exactly right for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
danater,
Thank you for your inputs and I checked the link you provided. I will have to do the inspection mentioned in the link this weekend. If varying the fluid level can soften the ride, I will be so glad.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
np man,
do you have a copy of the shop manual for your bike?
if not get one (digital) you can print what you need.
also http://northstarriders.com/wordpress/?p=564
that is the rebuild of the forks, #4 should show you how much and which one is which (push or pull)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

Thank you all for your inputs. I wanted give a quick update on the issue I had. I had the motorcycle on the lift. The front wheel was spinning freely which was my first concern. Then I took the motorcycle for a long ride and the noise I mentioned (dragging noise) was noticeably reduced. I also talked to the previous owner to get some information. the owner mentioned that since the motorcycle was not ridden quite often when he had it, it will go away if you start riding it often and apply hard breaking to get the dirt (or whatever particles is causing the noise) off. My other issue was with the ride which was as firm as a brick. Im not sure if I have to start a new thread for this issue or can continue in this thread. If I have to start a new thread, let me know. The front and rear shocks are firm and bumpy. The previous owner has changed the stock rear shocks to progressive and changed the front fork springs to progressive within 100 miles. front fork seals was also done down the line. Now the motorcycle has 18k miles on it. Please let me know if the shocks can be softened. I also have the stock fork springs and rear shocks.

Loksher

1 - 9 of 9 Posts