Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW! :!: :shock:

Bought a rain suit (Tourmaster Defender) Saturday and got caught in a big storm yesterday leaving work. High winds, lighting, and hail like rain. What an adventure. :D

I only had my leather riding gloves and they got saturated. Every time I raised my hands to get fresh air into my fogging goggles, all the water went down my sleeve and my leather boot got soaked also. Definitely have to get the proper gloves and riding boots. :D

Other than that it was not to bad. I did toast my call phone though. I put in the front jacket pocket incase something happened so I could get to it quickly. I think the humidity from my body got to it.

So I’m open for helpful hints to those who have experience in foul weather riding, besides pulling off, although I probably should of.

Thanks. 8)

Ride Safe & Ride In Peace,

Bob 8)

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
I got no ideas, but I will say this your a better man than me if it looks like rain I dont get out or I turn around and go home. :wink: Good luck on this one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I was living in DC, I got caught unprepared in a thunderstorm once. Pouring rain and rivers of water coming down the hilly streets- yuck! The next day, I went to the motorcycle shop and got a rainsuit and some waterproof gloves (unfortunately it seems that most waterproof gloves are also winter gloves, which kinda sucks when it's hot and humid), and ordered some waterproof boots online. The gloves have a wiper on the thumb that you can use to wipe your faceshield- looks like a windshield wiper. The collor of the rainsuit would go right up to the full-face helmet so there wouldn't be any leaks there. Did learn not to open the visor in a rainstorm though- it's really hard to wipe the inside of a visor without streaking when you're on the move. Never got wet after that!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I don't mind rain but the lighting makes me consider stopping for a while.

I always put my cell & wallet in a zip lock if it looks like rain.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Don't toss then phone just yet...

my Motorola was under water for at least 5 minutes on the 4th of July when my 3 year old nephew drove our golf cart into the pond. I went in that stank water and got him first and after catching my breath (from chasing him and the cart all the way down the hill) I went after clubs, keys, cell phones etc...

I broke it down and left it on the A/C vent at the house overnight and it works just fine... for now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
A couple of years ago I went to Lake George NY with a freind and our wives. When we were leaving Lake George to head home it started raining and didn't stop until we hit the Broken Spoke Saloon in Laconia, New Hampshire. We all had a good set rain gear so it wasn't all that bad. When we left the Broken Spoke after lunch the sun was out and it was hot so we packed all the rain gear away and rode the last 80 or so miles home. When we got to Standish Maine (about 10 miles from home) we got caught in a surprise down pour and got completely soaked to the bone. All we could do is laugh about it keep riding.
My wife and I beleive that you can't let some rain ruin a good ride. Rain isn't a show stopper for us it's just something to be prepared for. Slow down, be careful and enjoy. Lightening, hail and strong winds are a little different I'll pull over or not ride at all before deal with that.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Welcome to the crowd, here in Louisiana, you get caught in the rain quite often.
On the 4th of July, my wife and I went for a 100 mile stroll and got caught in a downpour. I was cussin under under my breath and figured my wife would be mad because she had never really got caught in the rain before (she rides with me every so often).
When we made it home, she was laughing at our obviuous stupidity for riding off on the bike when the skies were black before we left. And I didn't think she had much of a since of humor with some of my stupidity :wink:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Vee Tee eX said:
Don't toss then phone just yet...

my Motorola was under water for at least 5 minutes on the 4th of July when my 3 year old nephew drove our golf cart into the pond. I went in that stank water and got him first and after catching my breath (from chasing him and the cart all the way down the hill) I went after clubs, keys, cell phones etc...

I broke it down and left it on the A/C vent at the house overnight and it works just fine... for now.
+1 ... I got caught in rain without my rain gear about a month ago, and my cell got completely soaked. I pulled the battery, let it dry out over night, wiped the terminals with a little alcohol, and put it back together. And its still working just fine.

I learned to never take the rain gear out of the saddle bags, unless I'm wearing it. And to put my wallet/cell/watch in a baggie in the saddle bags for the slightest chance of rain.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I rather enjoy riding in the rain. I use a set of rubber gloves that fit over the ones I happen to be wearing at the time to go with my raingear. I also always have a small ziplock baggie in my raingear stuff-sack for my phone and wallet. A full-faced helmet is also rather nice during the downpour.

The only downside is the cleanup after the ride. Who'd have thought rain was so freakin' filthy?!?! :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the stories.

I let the phone dry out and it's still toast. Live & learn. 8)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I use a pair of neoprene gloves I picked up for $5 at Gander Mt. in the fishing section. Work great in the rain and they are long enough to fit over my jacket and rain gear.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Nothing wrong in riding in liquid sunshine other than to slow down a bit and watch out from behind a little closer since the 4 wheelers like to drive to fast in the rain and may come up your tail pipe if they don't see you well enough.

Fogging of gloggles is quite commen. But you can get anti fog stuff like you use in the winter time to help with that. The other thing is to wear a helment with fach shield closed most of the way to allow the cool air under the shield to help cut down on the fogging.

Just be more careful and you should be alright.

Tejas

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I am from the land of rain...Louisiana as opposed to "vegas12vne"...by the way that was funny. I have ridden daily for the the last 3 1/2 years. I don't do rain suits...just ride.

I always get just as wet with riding rain suits on anyway. I NOT saying this is for every one. But I have a thought....it's NOT rain, but water....I am not scared of taking a bath....so what's rain got to do with it.

I know it doesn't answer your question but, I keep a zip lock bad with me and when I see the rain coming I slip the cell phone in the bag and keep right on riding.

.................twin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rubber gloves over your leather ones. These must be Guantlet style
Rain suit, Protect against melting on exaust though
Rubber booties? Cover your riding boots fit inside your pants
Helmet with visor is good
Anti fog is a must
All packed clothes should be in a plastic bag
Take some small bags along. If you get wet feet change to dry socks then put on the bag then the boot your feet will appreciate it.

Just did a ride where the last three days and 1500 miles were rain. Had to get home (or find a new job) so riding in the rain for 6 hours straight each day was a must. I got wet, but my wife! (who dresses to look good) she is still drying out from last week. Never again not without the right stuff.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
On long trips leathers work just fine. When you just get caught with out them you just get wet. I got soaked recently cell phone was fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been riding for about two years now. Honestly, I think I've been caught in the rain twice during that time. And I ride daily! That's the one thing I miss living here in Vegas is a good thunderstorm. Perhaps a vacation to Texas is in order.

G

·
Want to waterproof your regular gloves. Just buy a pair of cheap medical gloves from the drugstore and wear them over top. I got caught in the rain and it worked like a charm. Just stuff them in the bottom of a pocket and you're always prepared.

Got caught in a thunderstorm the other day and only had my leathers. FUN!!!

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
If it is warm (over 75deg or so) I just get wet. It not only cools you down, it is the best/easiest way to clean your jacket from all the bug guts IMO. If it is cooler out then I have rain gear, plus a squeege for my visor that goes on my finger. I don't really mind riding in the rain, actually as long as it's not too cold I kind of enjoy it.

·
Banned
13,031 Posts
black hills said:
If it is warm (over 75deg or so) I just get wet. It not only cools you down, it is the best/easiest way to clean your jacket from all the bug guts IMO. If it is cooler out then I have rain gear, plus a squeege for my visor that goes on my finger. I don't really mind riding in the rain, actually as long as it's not too cold I kind of enjoy it.
Ditto. Hailstorms are a diff matter. OUCH !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.