Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got to Ride my bike for the 1st time since I laid id down back on September 3rd of 2021. I hit a massive puddle of oil in a turn and the bike totally lost traction and slipped from under me. The Bike pinned my leg to the ground and when I Rolled my foot did not. I broke Booth my Tibia and my Fibula right at the ankle. I font have any pictures of my leg and foot immediately after the accident, in fact I could barely look at my foot after words all the way up to when they removed the cast the first time I got so sick and started sweating profusely. All I wanted them to do was put it back in a cast so that I could get the heck out if there. Here are some X-Ray Shots

I Started Ordering parts to replace the Damaged components while I was still laid up in bed. Here are some shots of the damage:

I got some Parts New Like the headlight housing and Bessel and throttle Cables. I got a replacement brake master cylinder and right floorboard and brake pedal assembly used off of E-bay.

I start replacing the parts last week and was able to take it for a quick test ride around the Neighborhood. Couldn't go out to far on the streets because I didn't seem to have any Bake lights. but After the ride I knew that the Dandle bars were most likely bent. its imperceptible to the eye but I can feel my left arm riding out further then my right. I wanted to ride it a little bit further and faster to see if there was any wobble or shake but needed to fix the brake light situation first. Saturday I started working on the bake lights and wiring. I started by replacing the bulb but that didn't change anything. so I broke out the test light and checked the bubs on the socket and both had power. I checked the plugs on the switch at the right brake lever and both had power there. I then went to the brake peddle switch for the rear brakes and determined that the switch wasn't fully closing when the brake peddle was released so I pulled it off and lubed it up with some dielectric grease and put it back together and the brake lights started working again. Then it started raining.

So today after the roads dried from the rain I got out and took it for a quick rip down the road. Everything seems to be running smooth. I drove down to Lakeland where a young gentleman was selling a set of bars for the VTX and I plan to put them on some day this week.

I will say that It was a little stressful getting back out on the bike for the first time but once I was out there it felt great. I can't wait to get out for a real ride and I'm hoping that the cool weather isn't all gone for this year.

·
Registered
430 Posts
After my accident in March 2016, I couldn't wait to get back riding. Like you, ordering parts and taking it apart while still dealing with busted parts of my own. Staying busy helped me put it in my rear view mirror :rolleyes:. My first time riding was not stressful, just a little apprehensive from being out of the saddle for so long. I really pay closer attention to whats in the road now -- hit something hidden by the car in front of me and lost tire pressure in the front o_Oo_Oo_O.
So good to hear of another "brother" is back riding after misfortune --- (y)(y)

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Sorry about your crash and injury, but good to read you're back in the 'saddle' again. I'm reminded of a crash I had where I broke my collar bone and couldn't ride for months and it was so nice to feel the wind in my face again with my first ride.

Reactions: Blast

·
Registered
796 Posts
After my accident in March 2016, I couldn't wait to get back riding. Like you, ordering parts and taking it apart while still dealing with busted parts of my own. Staying busy helped me put it in my rear view mirror :rolleyes:. My first time riding was not stressful, just a little apprehensive from being out of the saddle for so long. I really pay closer attention to whats in the road now -- hit something hidden by the car in front of me and lost tire pressure in the front o_Oo_Oo_O.
So good to hear of another "brother" is back riding after misfortune --- (y)(y)
Glad your back in the saddle ! Here is what I do following a vehicle and can't see down the road with much visibility down the road. I track the vehicles tires in front of me. I figure they will either dodge or knock obstacles out of my way.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Real glad to read that you are on the mend and have chosen to get back on the wheel. I've been in your shoes. Motorcycling is just to big a part of my life to give up. Take it slow and easy and, enjoy yourself!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah the VTX seemed to come out of it way better than I did. The Saddle bags that I had on the bike did an amazing job of absorbing and preventing a lot of damage down the side of the bike. They were made by a company Called "Edge". They were a leather bag but hard enough that you could stand on if you wanted to. I really wanted to replace them with the same bags but unfortunately it appears they no longer manufacture them in the size that I had so I had to settle for a narrower version. I haven't mounted them up yet. In my mind I'm waiting until I know that replacing the handle bars is going to fix the steering angle. Then I will drill holes in them and mount them up.

My Recovery has been nothing short of amazing. When the Doc told me I wouldn't be able to put wait on it for the 1st 3 months I was pretty devastated. Added to that I weighed in at 330lbs, I thought it was going to be a very long road to recovery. I bought one of those knee scooters which I totally believe helped me keep my muscle strength in my upper leg. My sister would take me on walks around the neighborhood and to the store on the weekends. But once I got approval to start putting weight on the foot it was only like 2 weeks before I could stand without crutches and then another 2 weeks before I could walk and put all of my weight on the bad foot. In Fact I was walking on it full time with out crutches before the open wounds on my big tow and ankle closed up which boggles my mind. I thought the skin would have been the 1st thing to heal.

Anyways, Thanks for the well wishes guys I can't wait to get out a little more on the bike. I'm thinking I might try to tackle swapping over the bars after work this evening.

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Congrats on your recovery and getting the bike back on the road. I'm not a Dr., and don't mean to offend in any way, just stating some facts. You mentioned your weight and skin slow to heal. If you're not diabetic, I'd bet you are borderline. I'm sure your doctors have explained all that.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats on your recovery and getting the bike back on the road. I'm not a Dr., and don't mean to offend in any way, just stating some facts. You mentioned your weight and skin slow to heal. If you're not diabetic, I'd bet you are borderline. I'm sure your doctors have explained all that.
You are absolutely correct. I am a Diabetic currently managing with out insulin.

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
Glad you're walking, and riding again. Just in time for Spring to begin and for you to stay in the saddle, resting that leg and ankle!
I have a Memphis Shades Big Shot MS windshield left over from my VTX. If you're interested shoot me a PM and let me know. It's in like new condition. I'm not sure if I still have the hardware to mount it. I'll split the cost of shipping with you and the shield is yours for free, with or without the mounting hardware.

BigShot SportShield

Back in the Saddle again

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced the Handlebars yesterday and only had enough time to ride the bike around the neighborhood before I had to leave to go to physical therapy but it is definitely straight now. It appears though that the problem with the old bars was 2 fold. When I pulled the 1st bar clamp off, the knurling wasn't centered in the clamp, so the bars must have shifted in the clamps from the impact, and second after I pulled all of the hardware off of the bars I put it on a smooth surface and the right side bar-end was lifted off of the service by close to a centimeter. With the bars mounted you couldn't tell they were bent just by looking at them but riding down the road it was just enough to drive me crazy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank God for your recovery! Glad you still have the determination to get back in the saddle and that your X appears to be getting the right therapy as well. But when I saw your reply earlier in a post relating to your diabetes, it triggered me to think of my own growing acquaintance with type 2 which I think I may also have. My dad lived with type 2 and died with type 1 and I've never forgotten the insulin and the long glideslope to increasingly poor health. Been trying to get smarter about it.
I found this and similar perspectives on the web. By the two minute mark, you will hear the truth of what past practice has done to those like my dad who placed all their trust in legacy treatment protocols. It resonated strongly with me and am incorporating it into my own life. For what its worth, hope it gives you something besides getting back in the saddle to think about as well. Best wishes!
How to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally | Jason Fung - YouTube

·
Registered
796 Posts
You are absolutely correct. I am a Diabetic currently managing with out insulin.
Diabetes is silent you can have it and not even know. I was gaining weight (270) 6'2" and getting a stomach . I'm muscular so my stomach is big but not obese looking. I was concerned about diabetes. I was wanting to take the weight off. I'm a Christian and I believe God intervened to help me. On Jan. 03 '21, I was a clients house doing a job. The client was a trim,lean man close to my age. We became engaged in conversation and we began talking or I did about my weight. Here is were God stepped in , he said about 5yrs ago he was diagnosed with melonia. His weight at the time was also 270. He wanted to find out how to try and heal his body from within and along with his Drs. advise . He is also a Christian and he did a lifestyle change. He lost 70lbs in 6 mos. He did not count calories as you would on a diet. He started eating right/exercise more on this later. He published a book on his experience. He incorporated God's word along with the right way to eat the food you consume. I read his book and it is very inspirational. I'm following his words and as of today, I'm down to 255. I know you lose the fluids first and the weight loss occurs more slowly over time. My goal is is 200 to 210lbs. I don't think his book 'Meet Your Maker" is not in book store. I have his contact and will do if interested his book for you. I don't want to forward his info at this time because I would probally need his permission . The book is dime store novel size and a little ofar 100 pages. God works in mysterious ways imo.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've been a type 2 diabetic since 1999. On pills for a few years and had to switch to insulin. My doc told me to expect about a 16 lb weight gain, which I didn't believe because I was pretty active. Sure enough, within a couple of months I had gained that 16 lbs. Been on insulin for over 10 years and am still around the same weight. I'm pretty anal about keeping a schedule and have figured out what I can have to eat. It's simple to me: you take care of it or it WILL take care of you. My mother developed type 2 when she was around 38 and passed at 86 from heart failure. Her lesson to me was to be careful of eating too much protein and fat, clogging up your plumbing, but making it easy to keep your levels down (a1c).
It;s a battle every day. Wish I had taken advantage of seeing a dietician at the beginning of this journey. Wish it wasn't so hard to control on motorcycle trips ---- 🙁

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've been a type 2 diabetic since 1999. On pills for a few years and had to switch to insulin. My doc told me to expect about a 16 lb weight gain, which I didn't believe because I was pretty active. Sure enough, within a couple of months I had gained that 16 lbs. Been on insulin for over 10 years and am still around the same weight. I'm pretty anal about keeping a schedule and have figured out what I can have to eat. It's simple to me: you take care of it or it WILL take care of you. My mother developed type 2 when she was around 38 and passed at 86 from heart failure. Her lesson to me was to be careful of eating too much protein and fat, clogging up your plumbing, but making it easy to keep your levels down (a1c).
It;s a battle every day. Wish I had taken advantage of seeing a dietician at the beginning of this journey. Wish it wasn't so hard to control on motorcycle trips ---- 🙁
You know the war and your prepared for battle. Glad you keeping under control! My a1c was starting to creep up not bad but concerned. My PvP told,when you see these guys walking around with big stomachs, your seeing type 2 walking around. That got my attention quick. My brother at 59 yrs.old had a heart attack four stints installed, no heart damage and his weight was normal ,plus I'm 21/2 yrs. older. This happened 6 yrs. ago. 12/20 had to replace 2 stints , his weight is still normal. My stomach was/is my issue . I weighed to day down from 270 to 253 since 01/02/21. Still got a mountain to climb.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sometimes it's just the way you're built. While still in the AF and stationed at RAF Chicksands England, I joined a local health club and did what they said to do for several months. I took 4 inches off my waist but only lost 5 lbs. In your case, 17 lb loss in 5 weeks in great. If you get to walking, just walking --- you'll be shocked at your progress (more weight loss, BP looking great, get your "wind" back). The nasty part of getting a belly is that the fat deposits are under your muscles, especially for diabetics. Harder to work on.
For me, an upper body work out burns carbs really fast. If I'm polishing/waxing, I have to be careful of dropping my counts too low. Part of the game, if it's up a little I know what to do. My VTX is shiny ;)
You're doing really good and I hope you get where you're safe and happy. Pretty soon it'll be a hill to climb (y)

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
4 stents is nothing. My late Uncle Dick passed away maybe a year & a half ago, after many years of cardiac care and 18 stents. He also was NEVER heavy, or a big drinker, but a retired steelworker.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
796 Posts
4 stents is nothing. My late Uncle Dick passed away maybe a year & a half ago, after many years of cardiac care and 18 stents. He also was NEVER heavy, or a big drinker, but a retired steelworker.
After talking to my brother , he said the problem was genetics, not life style.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts