Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings...

I finally got the bike registered last week and finally got it out of the neighborhood this weekend. I have owned some forty motorcycles, but this is only my second traditional cruiser. I've always admired these, and after reading up on it (and seeing so many happy owners), I couldn't be happier to join your ranks. This is a great machine. Power seems fine to me (I have other bikes for when I am jonesing for a little more speed). It only has 5500 miles on it, and is running great. Seems to handle pretty nicely for what it is as well.

I've rebuilt and rejetted countless carbs, but I think for now, I'm content to just leave it alone. I do have a question, however. In the absence of non-stock jetting, pipes, air cleaner, et al, is there any real benefit to removing the PAIR? From what I can tell, it seems to benefit modded bikes, but wondering if it helps at all with a stock one. I've done this sort of thing before (similar component removed on my ZRX), but will leave it unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks (in advance). Did I mention this is a great machine? :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
The PAIR system is kind of a compromise by Honda to meet emissions standards of the time. There are several issues that can crop up as a result of leaving it intact. Nothing major, but there's a fair amount of plumbing that goes with it. OTOH, there is nothing detrimental to eliminating it, and it gets rid of a lot of clutter on top of the engine.

If it were me, I'd just get rid of it and be done with it.

·
Old Goat
24,161 Posts
Welcome to the ranks...pretty much what Harkon says....does elimate most if not all decelerations pop and gives u more room for valves checks...

IS THAT A REAL COBRA I SPY IN THE CORNER..:grin2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, seems a lot like what I removed from the ZRX, and, come to think of it, the air injection on the Bonneville.

I haven't noticed any real popping yet per se', but sounds like it wouldn't hurt to have it out of the way.

Not a real Cobra of course, but a Factory Five, and way too much damn fun (I'd post a pic, but doesn't seem appropriate here?)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
If you ever change exhaust to aftermarket you will remove the PAIR Valve. (De-cel explosions)
Reed valve cover epoxy or RTV a bolt into the hose bib.
The alternate choice is buy plates and install.
Hidden from view!

Remove all else.

https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/engine/vtx-1300-desmog/

Welcome to the VTXOA!
Jump on it and ride!

ENJOY!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
104 Posts
As you probably know, changing the exhaust flow changes the fuel/air ratio from the carbs. The bike is engineered at a certain back pressure, that helps in approaching the Stoichiometric ratio of 14.7:1. If you change the exhaust, you have to change the intake.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
As you probably know, changing the exhaust flow changes the fuel/air ratio from the carbs. The bike is engineered at a certain back pressure, that helps in approaching the Stoichiometric ratio of 14.7:1. If you change the exhaust, you have to change the intake.
To be clear, you don't need to change the intake. If you increase flow, you need to change jetting in the carb. The intake doesn't need to change unless you want to change it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Of course you don't.

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
I have aftermarket pipes and the OEM #195 jet.
It does struggle above 90 MPH (GPS) but I rarely, rarely go there.

Honda VTX speedometers generally indicate 10% above true speed and odometer indicates about 4% high.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have aftermarket pipes and the OEM #195 jet.
It does struggle above 90 MPH (GPS) but I rarely, rarely go there.

Honda VTX speedometers generally indicate 10% above true speed and odometer indicates about 4% high.

Funny you should mention the speedometer - I have a few of those speed signs to/from work and compared. 10% appears to be spot on. :thumbup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some of us consider it absolutely appropriate to share a pic. I consider it rude not to.:grin2:

Okay, well, I'm obligated to oblige. That, and it's fun to share. :grin2: This is my second Factory Five. The first (which I got for a song) I sold to my best friend after thinking I wanted to try something else out. I was wrong. It took me two years to figure out that the only way to replace one was with another. They get under your skin that way. Every little drive is an epic event, with a big stupid grin on my face.

This is a Mark IV, build completed earlier this year. I didn't do the heavy lifting build-wise (no time at this point in my life), though I have been doing a lot of finishing/sorting over the last 4-5 months. It's a 393 ci (351W-based) with aluminum heads, TKO600 and 8.8 rear with Moser axles. It is, ahem, not slow. :laugh:

Attachments

·
Old Goat
24,161 Posts
Okay, well, I'm obligated to oblige. That, and it's fun to share. :grin2: This is my second Factory Five. The first (which I got for a song) I sold to my best friend after thinking I wanted to try something else out. I was wrong. It took me two years to figure out that the only way to replace one was with another. They get under your skin that way. Every little drive is an epic event, with a big stupid grin on my face.

This is a Mark IV, build completed earlier this year. I didn't do the heavy lifting build-wise (no time at this point in my life), though I have been doing a lot of finishing/sorting over the last 4-5 months. It's a 393 ci (351W-based) with aluminum heads, TKO600 and 8.8 rear with Moser axles. It is, ahem, not slow. :laugh:
Nice replica...:thumbup: ....in 1967 my father ran a engine rebuilding company across the street from ford dealer....as I waited for the bus to take downtown for my job...I could watch them unload all sorts of fords...u could get a factory 427 AC bodied cobra out the door for $9750.....course at the time I only made a $1.25 an hour..LOL.....I miss the good old days...:grin2:

·
Registered
704 Posts

If there was ever a car I'd kill for, that's the one. What did you say your address was.......

Nice ride!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Where are people getting the plates these days? I checked the 2 links provided in the Bareassedchopper how to, but they are dead. Searched and only found a set on ebay from Greece.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts