Honda VTX Forum banner

First scheduled maintenance questions.

1K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  kentsnpsht 
#1 ·
I have about 345 miles on my 1800 so far and I'm getting ready to change the oil and rear drive fluid. I plan to buy the fluids at Advanced Auto or Auto Zone, so can someone tell me exactly what brand and weight of each I should buy? I'd rather not go to the dealer and get raped for GN4 and other high dollar fluids....i've heard alot of people talking about using regular old Mobile 10W40 or something like that. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
Slater, search the archives man before Tapper sniffs you out! :wink:

#3 ·
Slater1601 said:
I have about 345 miles on my 1800 so far and I'm getting ready to change the oil and rear drive fluid. I plan to buy the fluids at Advanced Auto or Auto Zone, so can someone tell me exactly what brand and weight of each I should buy? I'd rather not go to the dealer and get raped for GN4 and other high dollar fluids....i've heard alot of people talking about using regular old Mobile 10W40 or something like that. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Amsoil 10 W40 and Amsoil Gear Lube :D The Only Way to go!!! If U choose NOT to use Amsoil (don't know why??) Make Sure U use a Good Synthetic Oil!!!

#4 ·
Slater1601 said:
AutoZone sells Mobile1 Gold Cap 15-50

#5 ·
It is ok to use oil from an auto parts store providing; 1) the oil has a SJ or higher rating and 2) make sure that no where on the oil can does it say "ENERGY CONSERVING", if it does don't use it in your motorcycle due to the lubricity additives that it contains, great for your car's engine, bad for your motorcycle's clutch.

G
#8 ·
volking said:
Volking, you are absolutely right! This is the Oil for the 1800.

Slater, Synthetic oil makes you scoot just noisy. Anyway what do you mean high Dollar Oil :?:
$36.99 for 3 oil changes – expensive? This oil last 8000 miles until your next oil change. $12.30 per change!

That’s $0.15 per 100 miles. You get raped at the gas pump with $2.30 per gallon average, not at the dealer.

#9 ·
Honda motor oil = piss and nanner squeezins. And expensive squeezins at that. You'd get better oil by washin a frenchman's hair.

My motor purrs like a finely tuned swiss watch. It runs Amsoil. Pete's motor runs Honda's squeezins, and sounds like a coffee can full of marbles. He claims it's the cam, but I'm pretty sure it's really the squeezins.

#10 ·
Tapper said:
Honda motor oil = piss and nanner squeezins. And expensive squeezins at that. You'd get better oil by washin a frenchman's hair.

My motor purrs like a finely tuned swiss watch. It runs Amsoil. Pete's motor runs Honda's squeezins, and sounds like a coffee can full of marbles. He claims it's the cam, but I'm pretty sure it's really the squeezins.
ROFL...

This is cracking me up... :lol:

I run Amsoil in mine as well, and everyone I know who runs it says they notice the difference. :wink:

#11 ·
Jeez, this is starting to look like a sales pitch for Amsoil. Well, for my two cents worth, I've been running Honda's HP4 in all my bikes for the last ten years or so, even before they came out with the version that didn't have moly. I run HP4 with moly, if my clutch starts to slip a little I switch to the version without moly for one oil change then back to HP4 with moly. What I've noticed in the bikes I've run it in is a definite reduction in mechanical noises and much smoother shifting. Here is a list of what I've run it in (in no particular order):

'91 Suzuki Bandit 400; 9500 miles
'83 Honda GL650 Silverwing; 22,000 miles
'83 Honda Magna V65; 17,000 miles
'86 Yamaha Venture Royale; 68,000 miles
'98 Honda GL1500SE Goldwing SE; 73,000 miles
'03 Honda GL1800 Goldwing; 42,000 miles
And after I get the inital 3,600 miles put on it I'll be running HP4 w/ moly in my '03 VTX 1800C

#12 ·
g2rich said:
Jeez, this is starting to look like a sales pitch for Amsoil. Well, for my two cents worth, I've been running Honda's HP4 in all my bikes for the last ten years or so, even before they came out with the version that didn't have moly. I run HP4 with moly, if my clutch starts to slip a little I switch to the version without moly for one oil change then back to HP4 with moly. What I've noticed in the bikes I've run it in is a definite reduction in mechanical noises and much smoother shifting. Here is a list of what I've run it in (in no particular order):

'91 Suzuki Bandit 400; 9500 miles
'83 Honda GL650 Silverwing; 22,000 miles
'83 Honda Magna V65; 17,000 miles
'86 Yamaha Venture Royale; 68,000 miles
'98 Honda GL1500SE Goldwing SE; 73,000 miles
'03 Honda GL1800 Goldwing; 42,000 miles
And after I get the inital 3,600 miles put on it I'll be running HP4 w/ moly in my '03 VTX 1800C
Holy cr@p, do NOT run anything with moly in this bike - do NOT!

You can run what you want, but please don't anyone try this in their VTX, it's asking for trouble.

As far as Amsoil, well if it works then why not run it? I don't want to start another debate, I just know I'm happy with it. My point is again - DO NOT run oil with moly, you'll trash your entire clutch.

#13 ·
Tapper or Bare,

How many miles do you guys go before changing out your oil? I met a Amsoil dealer at a swap meet and he was giving me some crazy numbers. 20k? Another thing that puzzled me was the need to change out the oil filter between oil changes. Does this stuff last so long that the filter gets long in the tooth before the oil is done doing it's thing?

Anyway, I don't have a clue how good that info is and I really didn't think about it again until I saw Tapper's funny comment.

#14 ·
I've heard those claims about Amsoil, but personally I wouldn't push the interval between oil changes to more than 5000 miles, especially on a bike like the VTX where the engine is subjected to high heat and stress. Like they say, better to be safe than stuck on the side of the road. 8)

#15 ·
300crew said:
Tapper or Bare,

How many miles do you guys go before changing out your oil? I met a Amsoil dealer at a swap meet and he was giving me some crazy numbers. 20k? Another thing that puzzled me was the need to change out the oil filter between oil changes. Does this stuff last so long that the filter gets long in the tooth before the oil is done doing it's thing?

Anyway, I don't have a clue how good that info is and I really didn't think about it again until I saw Tapper's funny comment.
I did the original changes, 600 and 1200 and went synthetic after that. Tapper and SilverVTX have lab tested their oil to show about 8kish miles when it starts breaking down so that's what I stick to since I trust their lab tests.

I tell most guys to look at maybe running as much as 10k or 1 year, whichever comes first. I do recommend a filter change at about the half-way point (4-5k miles or 6 months) as Amsoil and most manufacturers of longer drain interval oils recommend that as well. You can change the filter alone and only lose about 1/2 quart, the entire sump won't drain when you pull the filter. So just change it and then add enough to top it back off. :wink:

#16 ·
Thanks Bare, for clearing that up for me. I think I will give Amsoil a shot the next time around.

g2rich, you mentioned the 5K interval in changes. I was thinking, wow that's an expensive way to go using synthetics. But, I can relate to the better safe than sorry stance.

#17 ·
in my cars i have gone 21000 mile between oil changes. in the bikes i do 8000. i have used amsoil since 1976. i was a racer and it was the only oil that made my motors last. amsoil just changed the motorcycle oils and made them even better. they are no longer repackaged auto oil. go with the 10w40.

#19 ·
Something to consider. You might not want to go to synthetic oil until your engine is broken in some more. I just read this breakin info article. It is 180 degrees away from what the dealer recommends but it does sound like the author know what he is talking about and can back it up.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

#20 ·
Fat Cat,I discovered this before I bought my bike and it made total sense to me so when I got my bike I followed it to the letter and so far knock on wood it seems really strong and had no problems what soever, on the other hand I also think they (Honda) pretty well pre-breaks them in at the factory puttin them on dino's but if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will jump all over me :lol:

x2c

#21 ·
On aircraft engines we use synthetic oil and we change out filters before it is time to change the Oil, (the oil doesnt break down fast) so it is better to change filters when you should (inbetween oil changes if you are running the long miles with your oil) I plan on using Castrol Syntec full Synthetic oil 10W40 since I cant get Mobil 1 in 10W40 and I am using Wix filters (51358 part number) wix is pretty pricy but they are good filters, stay away from FRAM!!!!! they suck for a filter!!!!! I am also changing my oil and filters every 4K over kill for synthetic oil but I am picky like that, and I waited to 4000 miles before I switched to Synthetic... Good luck

#22 ·
I read the http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm too. It makes a lot of sense to me. This is the way I plan on breaking my new bike in (hope to pick it up this weekend - 1800N).

I've been reading this board for about a month now... greatful there is such a depth and wealth of knowledge out there. Great product reviews and insights, it's made a lot of my decissions about this bike and accessories real clear.

#23 ·
Synthetic Oils?

I have always used a synthetic oil, "Mobil 1 for motorcycles,"
in my VT1100. 84k miles
When my first oil change came due, after the break-in period on my '02 VTX1800C, I again went to Mobile 1, using K&N filters, (they've a nut on the end of the filter, 17mm I think,) and am now using Amsoil
So far , so good. 54+K miles.

"Why are hemorrhoids called hemorrhoids instead of assteroids?"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.