Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
:agree: with the bigman8640.

Doesn't sound like he's been riding long at all with the advice he's looking for. My advice is to stay at home be safe, and send a donation in. These rides are dangerous even for good riders because there are so many new riders in the parade and for all the reasons given above can cause problems for all.
Apparently if you also sail too far from shore you'll fall off the edge of the world and get eaten by dragons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't want to ruin it for you it's a great cause be careful .There were 2 wrecks at our local toy run in early Dec. Don't take stuffed animals,lots of people take those.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Don't want to ruin it for you it's a great cause be careful .There were 2 wrecks at our local toy run in early Dec. Don't take stuffed animals,lots of people take those.

I have seen people break down, but fortunately no wreck so far. It is a fact on the stuffed animals people take tons of them. Last year my "passenger" was a big frog wearing a Santa hat. The wife was going to take him to Goodwill, but the little girl would not let her. She had outgrown it by the run but I claimed it for future rides. See pic. I also had saddlebags full with coloring books crayons and stuff the neighbors donated since they knew I was riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I wouldn't worry about embarrassment or ridicule. Everyone does thing that are pretty dumb (kickstands, etc.)

What you want to do is SURVIVE the ride. Leave a lot of room between you and the guy in front of you. On these kinds of things there are always a lot of brand new riders on brand new bikes, riding next to someone who has ridden all thier life.

I go on these kinds of rides (along with Patriot Guard) because I believe in the causes, but I very seldom actually ENJOY the ride itself, because I'm watching everyone else (and it HAS saved my butt more than once).

Oh yeah, gas up BEFORE you get there.

:agree: GOOD ADVICE

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Here about 2 or 3 yrs ago.I was on one where the guy in front of me riding a sporty. Started shaking and went strait instead of following the curve. I seen him start to shake and backed WAY OFF!!! He hit the grass heading strait for a concrete culvert. Thru the tall weeds down the hill just missing the culvert.Back up the hill about a block down the road,Back up on the road and to the next stop :yikes: LOL I know he had to go change his shorts!! He was on his BOSSES NEW SPORTY!!! nojoke He got lucky other than a few weeds and near heart failure. That was my excitement for the day.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You'll have a great time mate. Make sure you take lots of pics. The bottom pic is me and a couple of mates that did the run (I'm in the middle!). We haven't had any accidents on our toy run in the last 5 years and we have over 5,000 bikes at least (this year 6,500).

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I agree with lordoss. I have been riding in 3 each year toy runs for the past 6 years. One of the yearly runs has 30,000 to 40,000 bikes. Very rarely have I seen an accident and have never had any problems. The police presence at every intersection keeps anyone being an idiot showoff. 2 years ago I rode in a 20 mile Toy Run behind 2 older women that must have went out and bought bikes the week before the run. You want to talk about interesting.
The Bill's Toy Run is a good starter, the distance from the start point to the end point is not far, we basically stay on Southern Blvd. for most of the ride.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I agree with everyone above. I do this one every year, and the worst I've seen was last year - too much 40mph to a stop and then 40 again (the accordian effect). Other than that, DON'T LOSE YOUR KEYS!!! and becareful parking at the Fairgrounds as it has loose gravel, and at the Park, most are parking on grass and the kickstand may go through into the ground, tipping the bike over. Hope this helps.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.