Honda VTX Forum banner

Would you buy dual fishtail exhaust for retros?

• Might buy them if a quality maker built them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me ( of course not! ), or would anybody else like to see a set of true dual exhaust with fishtail tips for the Retros?

There are a few things to consider where 'dual 'tails' are concerned;
#1- They are NOT a performance mod. In fact, some horse power may be LOST through the use of this type exhaust but, sometimes style is worth a few less ponies.
#2- They have a VERY different yet distinctive exhaust note. If you would never part with your pipes because you love a low, throaty growl, these would most likely not be for you. If however, you have heard this type of exhaust ( and if you have, you can tell them from any other pipe sight unseen because of their unique sound! ), it's one of those sounds that just kinda sticks with you. It's a difficult sound to explain, but they will surely bark when you wick-it-up!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Pipes

Hello,

digger571

i think it could be done but it would be more of a one of a kind custom pipe , you could run it like a FLH pipes , i agree on the sound as my last Hog was a stripped down FLH she was deep and Loud . you need a good muffler man that can turn out custom pipes though , in which i know one in KC.MO

BlueVTX

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Maybe if you got enough response you could convince Roadhouse who already make fish-tailed dooley's for the Ace and Aero. Having, an 1800 with a dual-pin crank, I'd doubt I'd get the desired sound out of this set-up as ya'll 1300 riders. But if such a set-up were available for the 1300, I would definitely go out of my way to hear them, and SERIOUSLY think of getting my 1800 a new playmate! BTW, Cliff Randall is building a custom 1800 (...well, 2000 now) that has a dual exhaust, but slash cut tips vs fishtail.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Three D,

Yeah, I forgot to mention that a few months ago I had contacted Roadhouse. They said the idea for fishtail duals for the Retros was one that had been tossed around a bit there. He had no definative answers about r&d, but said to keep checking back from time to time. I thought maybe some poll results may help to sway their decision.

Personally, I think if a Retro was lowered, had some 13''-16'' apes and duals would just look sweet. Now, if someone like Hard Krome made duals in a 2 1/2 or 3 inch, it would suit the size of the VTX........ but that diameter of heat shield may pose some real engineering problems.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Digger - I love shark fins on narrow pipes. I'm not aware of anything available for the VTX 1300's, however as BlueVTX mentioned, they can be fabricated. Here is a link that a Shadow ACE owner made about the custom exhaust be built for his bike. I was really impressed. Basically he used some fishtail extensions and HP baffles from JC Whitney, and also serrated flex hose from Dennis Kirk. Looks pretty sweet, check it out...

http://ace.gordesign.com/

·
Registered
750 Posts
Pipes

Hello,

AblackVTXinMD

Man i could make those real easy , as i have a bender and could whip out a pipe real quick , i may do it just to see how it looks .
I really liked the site he did a good job .

BlueVTX

·
Registered
851 Posts
Re: Pipes

BlueVTX said:
Hello,

AblackVTXinMD

Man i could make those real easy , as i have a bender and could whip out a pipe real quick , i may do it just to see how it looks .
I really liked the site he did a good job .

BlueVTX
I think the Jardine pipes have the narrow look that would be very complementary to the fins. The guy really did to a bang up job on that website. He even has those soundclips playing in the background. The layout of the page, photos, installation instructions, and other specs he provided are well thought out. Enough for me to bookmark it anyway. Look forward to seeing what you come up with on the BlueVTX.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Three D,

Yeah, I forgot to mention that a few months ago I had contacted Roadhouse. They said the idea for fishtail duals for the Retros was one that had been tossed around a bit there. He had no definative answers about r&d, but said to keep checking back from time to time. I thought maybe some poll results may help to sway their decision.

Personally, I think if a Retro was lowered, had some 13''-16'' apes and duals would just look sweet. Now, if someone like Hard Krome made duals in a 2 1/2 or 3 inch, it would suit the size of the VTX........ but that diameter of heat shield may pose some real engineering problems.
That’s what I wanna do for my Honda ace but can’t find any I got apes going to lower it but fishtails would make it lmk if u find any

·
Registered
13,465 Posts
That’s what I wanna do for my Honda ace but can’t find any I got apes going to lower it but fishtails would make it lmk if u find any
Hello---YOU responded to a 18 year old thread.
Roadhouse no longer exists.
This forum is for VTX motorcycles.
If you want to join this forum, go to "NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS".

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Since I don't own a Honda Ace, or know anything about the aftermarket pipes sold for that bike I can't say if you can just buy a set for that bike, but I have experience making my own set of fishtail exhaust pipes for a Yamaha V-Star. By 'making them' I mean buying the right size to fit onto the stock headers, buying pipe clamps to join the exhaust to the baffles, and fabricating exhaust supports to the frame of the motorcycle. There are plenty of fishtail exhaust pipes being sold for motorcycle customization, (as shown) so your challenge is to do the research involved if you choose to fab your own exhausts. It's a major project to undertake, as it involves cutting the pipes to fit, finding the right diameter exhaust to fit your baffles, and fabricating a bracket to hold the pipes to the frame, otherwise they will crack/break at the header from vibration and weight.

Lastly, if your stock headers have heat shields on them it will probably not look right with the baffles having shields, and your exhausts without. What I did was cut off my headers heat shields and heat wrapped them with black wrap so it didn't look odd having shields on the headers that didn't smooth down to the exhausts. The photo of the VStar below is the bike I modified as described, but the pipes showing were installed after I put on fishtails and didn't care for them. In any case you can see how the stock headers look with the heat shields cut off and then heat wrapped.

Hood Rectangle Bumper Automotive design Vehicle door

This is where the exhausts can be purchased (or Google search for other suppliers):

V-Twin Manufacturing 36

1 - 10 of 10 Posts