Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know and have seen.I had new custom paint job last april.Right now some of the paint on the head light is bubbling up..And the rest of the paint has tiny air pocket holes all over the paint from gassing out as it cured .The painter never sanded and buffed and polished it after it was done.So now I,m trying to set a date to get the paint fixed on the head light and another coat of clear then buffed and polished.The painter said she didnt buff and polish because there was no way to secure the parts while buffing.funny how most painters buff some how.Also she was informed about me using chemical striper to get off the old paint.One painter before messed it up twice so I had to strip off old paint.I gave my painter the parts sanded to bare metal.she said that the chemical used to strip the paint might be why the bubbles are on the head light.I,m pretty sure she should have done something about that.Instaed of lets see if that works.Right now she is being reluctant to do the repairs and make things right with out a bit more cash.I told her she needs to make things right.Waiting on further conversations.
Wizza has seen and been to her shop during the painting.Hope I dont have to take her to court about this.

G

·
Prep work is the most important part of painting. I am not sure what was used to take the other paint off, if a degreaser/wax remover was used prior to sanding, but if it had anything in it to cause the paint to lift its tough.

I would think the painter would have done a good clean and prep before applying anything to the parts. If there was any silicone, oil base cleaner, wax or some other contaminent sanded down into the parts, good luck...

As for the clear, sounds like your speaking fisheyes from what you say. She will have to use some type of FE reducer in the clear, sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesnt.

Just my opinion, I am sure many have others. Good luck

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
If it has a one year warranty then why all the BS from the painter?
The responsibility IS hers for final prep and paint.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used air craft paint remover to get almost all of the paint off.Then sanded every thing to bare metal.washed with solvent and soap and water.Then sanded again.
I told the painter the steps i took and what I did to remove the paint.My head light bucket is plastic.That was sanded and washed down too.My painter said no problem at the time and went ahead with the paint job.
As for the paint it has orange peel texture.Never buffed out and polished.Her excuss was there was no way to secure the parts while buffing.I told her all the other bike painters find a way:confused:.
The clear coat almost looks like it has pores like your skin would.Was that from gassing out as it cured?
Over all the art work air brushing and marbilizing came out just as I wanted.JUst after i wrote my last post I had contact with her on my space.She says she wont warrenty the head light because of the stripper I used.She was aware of that before she started and should honor the warenty.Or not painted the head light bucket.:dontknow:

G

·
I used air craft paint remover to get almost all of the paint off.Then sanded every thing to bare metal.washed with solvent and soap and water.Then sanded again.
I told the painter the steps i took and what I did to remove the paint.My head light bucket is plastic.That was sanded and washed down too.My painter said no problem at the time and went ahead with the paint job.
As for the paint it has orange peel texture.Never buffed out and polished.Her excuss was there was no way to secure the parts while buffing.I told her all the other bike painters find a way:confused:.
The clear coat almost looks like it has pores like your skin would.Was that from gassing out as it cured?
Over all the art work air brushing and marbilizing came out just as I wanted.JUst after i wrote my last post I had contact with her on my space.She says she wont warrenty the head light because of the stripper I used.She was aware of that before she started and should honor the warenty.Or not painted the head light bucket.:dontknow:
She shouldnt have painted it, if she knew about the stripper. SHe also should not have painted the tins, if she could not find a way to buff it, or find someone who could buff it for her.
Hopefully you get it figured out. Good luck..

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
under warrenty

What's the contract say :?:

:crew:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Contract is pretty basic it warrenties all paint work for a yr.And I informed her of this problem a few months ago.So I,m well within terms of the warrenty.There are no scratches and one ding in the side cover you can hardley see.All I want is recleared and buffed and polished out like it should be done.And fix the head light bubbles.Dosent have to be a complete redo just some touch up.She says she has to redo the whole head light to get it right at 350 -400 dollars.Under warrenty its going to be free.She is only 25 yrs old and paint just a few yrs.But a ton of talent for sure.I dont think she has a lot of business smarts right yet.Trying to not honor a warrenty.I might have to go talk to her dad that runs the shop and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
there is atleast one product on the market that will allow the paint to stick to your headlight housing no matter what was used to strip it.

don`t know about your situation,but LOTS of times people that are very good artists make the assumption that they can paint too. most don`t have a clue what is required or what can be done to make paint work and stick on many different substrates.

best of luck to ya:!:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Don't bargain with her. Its under warranty, hold her to it period!

Too bad too, it looks like the paint job was pretty detailed.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't bargain with her. Its under warranty, hold her to it period!

Too bad too, it looks like the paint job was pretty detailed.
The paint job Has a black base with silver marbilizer.Done with heavy plastic shoping bags for the right texture.To kind of make it look like burnt wood .Then a coat of red candy .Followed by the kind of whispy real flame look.Done in silver.Not real detailed just kind of flowing.3 more coats of red candy and 3 coats of clear.She said 3 coats who knows should have been more.Just before the clear went on she added mica flake for a bit of flash when the sun hits the paint.Here are a few pics.Click on for larger view.

·
Registered
618 Posts
A. Read your warranty.
B. Place her and the shop on notice of your warranty claim
IN WRITTING BEFORE the one year time frame expires.
This way, if they refuse to honor the warranty, they can't
deny they were on notice before the warranty expired. Be
sure you send notice via certfied mail and detail EVERY problem
you need fixed. This will be a very important document if you
don't get this problem resolved voluntarily.

Not sanding out the peel is just lazy and poor craftsmanship.
If that was part of the original contract, that's a breach of
contract. If not in writing, that becomes a word vs word
contest which can be tough. If in writing, you're already
able to show she didn't complete the terms of the contract
and this is an example of poor business practices and potential
consumer fraud.

I don't know anything about painting plastic, but if stripper can
be absorbed into it and cause paint failure, I'd consider buying
a new headlight bucket before she repaints it. The cost of the
headlight bucket may be your responsibility.

Good luck, and don't feel you have to renegotiate you're
contract, she's legally bound.

Last but not least, what credible shop wants a crappy
example of their work out on the street? As a potential customer,
if I saw your paint with blisters, orange peel, etc. I'd take note
NOT to use that shop. They should be jumping at the opportunity
to clean this up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds like you are talking about 3-400 dollars. Try to work it out without using the lawyer word. You will get a lot farther and to be honest thats about one hour of their time :shock:
Gary

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
What's her name and where is the shop?

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts

As some of you know and have seen.I had new custom paint job last april.Right now some of the paint on the head light is bubbling up..And the rest of the paint has tiny air pocket holes all over the paint from gassing out as it cured .
****sounds like "solvent pop" to me. It usually occurs when successive layers of a catalyzed product are applied to quickly over one another

The painter never sanded and buffed and polished it after it was done.So now I,m trying to set a date to get the paint fixed on the head light and another coat of clear then buffed and polished.
*****that won't do anything to help solvent pop, once it's there it's there, unfortunately

The painter said she didnt buff and polish because there was no way to secure the parts while buffing.
*****They were somehow secured for painting, weren't they????

Also she was informed about me using chemical striper to get off the old paint. One painter before messed it up twice so I had to strip off old paint.I gave my painter the parts sanded to bare metal.she said that the chemical used to strip the paint might be why the bubbles are on the head light.
****probably "aircraft stripper" which you can't use on the headlight, anyhow, because it'll melt it. Even if parts have been stripped with aircraft stripper, if they are cleaned properly prior to paint it keeps things trouble free

Right now she is being reluctant to do the repairs and make things right with out a bit more cash.I told her she needs to make things right.Waiting on further conversations.Wizza has seen and been to her shop during the painting.Hope I dont have to take her to court about this.
****Ouch. Hey, BTW, tell Wizza I said "Hi!"

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey DB will do.I go riding with wizza now and then his bike looks kick ass.You do great work.Wish I had just a bit more money at the time.I would have had you paint my bike instead.I,m going to show my painter print outs of all my post too for a little added insentive.:tools:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What's her name and where is the shop?
Her name is stephani blake.She works out of the paint spot in jacksonvile nc.On piney green road. She has a myspace spot for the shop.Just look up the paint spot.should be able to find it.But dont start any thing with her till i get to do a face to face here in another week.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know anything about painting plastic, but if stripper can
be absorbed into it and cause paint failure, I'd consider buying
a new headlight bucket before she repaints it. The cost of the
headlight bucket may be your responsibility.

ZensMC
She went ahead and painted it knowing full well about the stripper.So any cost including a new head light bucket would be on her.:agree::tools: I thank you all for input and will continue to up date this.I,m all ears any one else?:grin:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
As some of you know and have seen.I had new custom paint job last april.Right now some of the paint on the head light is bubbling up..And the rest of the paint has tiny air pocket holes all over the paint from gassing out as it cured .
****sounds like "solvent pop" to me. It usually occurs when successive layers of a catalyzed product are applied to quickly over one another

The painter never sanded and buffed and polished it after it was done.So now I,m trying to set a date to get the paint fixed on the head light and another coat of clear then buffed and polished.
*****that won't do anything to help solvent pop, once it's there it's there, unfortunately

The painter said she didnt buff and polish because there was no way to secure the parts while buffing.
*****They were somehow secured for painting, weren't they????

Also she was informed about me using chemical striper to get off the old paint. One painter before messed it up twice so I had to strip off old paint.I gave my painter the parts sanded to bare metal.she said that the chemical used to strip the paint might be why the bubbles are on the head light.
****probably "aircraft stripper" which you can't use on the headlight, anyhow, because it'll melt it. Even if parts have been stripped with aircraft stripper, if they are cleaned properly prior to paint it keeps things trouble free

Right now she is being reluctant to do the repairs and make things right with out a bit more cash.I told her she needs to make things right.Waiting on further conversations.Wizza has seen and been to her shop during the painting.Hope I dont have to take her to court about this.
****Ouch. Hey, BTW, tell Wizza I said "Hi!"
+1 I just got off the phone with my son and that is exactly what he said he also mentioned that the temperature my have been to cold also contributing to "solvent pop" and if the mold release was not cleaned off the headlight bucket it would or could cause gassing off. if the solvent pop is between the layers of clear it will take a lot less to fix it. sounds like it is her fault and should be on her

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Ok Prime, I'll hold back till you try all avenues with her. If she doesn't resolve your problem then I imagine I won't be the only one on this board on her a$$. We have to protect our own. We are in your corner. You may want to tell her to take a glimpse of this thread.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts