Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 1300C has the stock pegs. I was thinking of switching to floorboards. Do they reduce the vibration? Do they hit the ground easier than pegs? I believe the left peg on my bike is a hair tweaked from hitting the pavement on 1 too many corners. Now when I ride at Highway speed my left foot tends to vibrate to the end of the peg every couple of miles. I feel the need to constantly shift it back in to the center of the bike. I was hoping floorboards would be more comfortable but I am worried they will hit the pavement easier than the pegs. Any thoughts....

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
This is one of those questions with out a definitive answer. I for one won't have another bike without floorboards. But thats just me some people don't find them comfortable at all. The boards are hinged so when they hit they flex up, gives you a nice foot massage. I find they give me space to move my feet around more then pegs. I have crash bars with pegs mounted so my heels rest on the boards with my feet on the pegs, stretches my legs out very comfortable on long rides. Your best bet is to try someone's bike with boards.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My 02 1800 R was the first bike that had floorboards, and I think they are more comfortable on a long ride. As for vibration, they have rubber inserts in them and I don't feel much vibration at all. For taking a long trip, I really like the space to move around on the floor boards. For shorter trips, I probably wouldn't care.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
When I bought my R in 05 I was pretty sure I would not like the floor boards or the heel shifter. I nearly bought pegs and another shifter before the bike came in. Four years later I wouldn't give them up for anything.

I really can't answer your question about vibration so I wish you luck.

John

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I'm changing my stock pegs for a set of ISO wings. There bigger than pegs but not as big as boards. I was almost sold on boards.

·
Registered
769 Posts
i've got boards on mine and they are quite comfortable. my only grip is that i tend to scrape a bit more if i'm deep in a corner

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Love my boards. First time I've ever had a bike with them. However I never use the heel shifter. Just not used to heel/toe shift.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Floorboards give me more positions for my feet on a long ride. Pegs were fine for around town but boards are the way to go on a longer trip. One of the main reasons I chose the R over the C. I don't dig into the turns enough to scrape so I can't advise there. bill

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The VTX is my first bike with floorboards. I love them! :thumbup:
Wouldn't take them off to win a trophy in a bike show.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
Personal preference thing I think. I like the boards alot. Can move my feet around forward and back. You get a little older and you appreciate that. I aint that old either. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
147 Posts
use to have a c we all know they have pegs. Now have a s and think we all know they have boards... I LOVE LOVE LOVE the boards.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Floorboards vs pegs

I still have my floorboards that came with my 2006 VTX. I decided to put some pegs on to stretch my legs on the long rides. As someone stated, you can rest your heel on the floorboards and the remainder of your foot is on the pegs.
Plus, I like the looks of the pegs.:agree:

We all know that everyone is different and has their own style.:thumbup:

But this set-up works for me.

Ride Safe,

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I agree! But this guy is older than me...

:shock:

John

Personal preference thing I think. I like the boards alot. Can move my feet around forward and back. You get a little older and you appreciate that. I aint that old either. :mrgreen:

G

·
My "S" model has floorboards, and I love them...my wife's 750 has pegs, and when I ride her bike, I don't like the feel of the pegs. I'm trying to talk her into letting me have floorboards put on her bike.

·
Banned
8,514 Posts
I guess it just boils down to ergonomics and what is most comfortable for the individual rider. I have an 1800C model with stock pegs. I personally like pegs because it allows me to stretch my legs out and rotate my feet on the pegs so my heel is down my toes are up. This is a comfortable riding position for me that I wouldn't be able to do if I had floorboards.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have the floorboards, Lindby bars and pegs added onto the bars. This gives lots of options for comfort on longer rides. For around town I generally keep my feet on the boards. On the highway, I start on the pegs, but alternate to the top of the Lindby's, and probably stay on the Lindby's more than on the pegs. Sometimes, one foot will be on the peg and one on top of the Lindby. I also sometimes change from the back of the heel on the bars/pegs to the bottoms of the feet on the bars/pegs. This allows change from straight to flexed knee and the vice versa. The ability to change back and forth helps reduce low back fatigue for me. I have noticed that when riding with other riders who have boards alone or pegs alone, they tend to want to stop more frequently than I do.

As to the heel-toe shifter, I started out just using the toe portion. One day I was talking to a retired LEO who told of his departments requirements for shine and lack of scuffs on officers boots and that he would never go back to toe only shifting. I thought about and have been using the heel ever since. This made a lot of sense to me in order to extend the life of the boot as he said when he rode with his department, he averaged about 3 years from a pair of boots, and other officers who wanted to ride the "old school" way, toe shifting only generally went through two pairs of boots per year due to the scuffs from shifting. He said they also had to spend a lot more time polishing their boots than he did.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
My 04 1300C has the stock pegs. I was thinking of switching to floorboards. Do they reduce the vibration? Do they hit the ground easier than pegs? I believe the left peg on my bike is a hair tweaked from hitting the pavement on 1 too many corners. Now when I ride at Highway speed my left foot tends to vibrate to the end of the peg every couple of miles. I feel the need to constantly shift it back in to the center of the bike. I was hoping floorboards would be more comfortable but I am worried they will hit the pavement easier than the pegs. Any thoughts....
I don't think floorboards reduce vibration except to the extent they may spread it out on a larger surface area. They may touch down earlier, but I've not noticed it on my 1300S. Floorboards are more comfortable by a long shot. For longer trips, an engine guard with decent hiway pegs will remove vibration.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have floor boards on my 06R. I find them very comfortable. Never had a prob with vibration that bad. As for the scraping. Cant speak to it. I came from sport touring bike to this and was real suprised at how quick these drag. Keep shiny side up!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts