Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Floorboards with or without heal/toe shifter.

I have been wanting to get a set of floorboards. Is it worth the extra for the heal/toe shifter.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's personal preference, I ended up taking mine off, but others love them. Do you have any friends with that set up so you could try it out?

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
I enjoy mine. But like said, Personal Preference..

·
Registered
675 Posts
I like it. Only thing is, I don't like trying to hit 6th gear with the heel, since I'm concerned about the larger force I can bring to bear, so when I get close to reaching for the extra gear, I use the toe.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's personal preference, I ended up taking mine off, but others love them. Do you have any friends with that set up so you could try it out?
Well I've been on my dad wing. It was not as bad as I thought, but I didn't know how difficult it would be to shift without the heal shifter.

The heal shifter seams to be too large... kind of looks like you could accidentally hit it just moving around.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like it. Only thing is, I don't like trying to hit 6th gear with the heel, since I'm concerned about the larger force I can bring to bear, so when I get close to reaching for the extra gear, I use the toe.
I have a lot of problems with 6th gear also, ever since I put the windshield on, I just keep trying to hit 6th, I guess if I had 6th straightened out I would try to hit 7th?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Absolutely love mine, took some getting used to (accidentally toe downshifted a couple times:yikes: instead of heel upshifting during my learning curve), but now it is so natural. Last week I tried upshifting with my toe and it just felt weird.

But different strokes for different folks!

jp

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
That's going to be one of my winter upgrades. Cutting the heel part of my shifter off. I never did like it and I could move my foot around better if it was gone.

·
Lady Rider
4,246 Posts
Didn't think I'd like the heel shifter, but I ended up loving it. Plus, it saves the toe of my boot.:D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Floorboards with or without heal/toe shifter.

I have been wanting to get a set of floorboards. Is it worth the extra for the heal/toe shifter.
Yes!!! Absolutely!!!

I accidentally customized mine, the heel part being bent in towards the center of the bike about an inch or so from stock position (don't ask how, but it's pretty obvious). No problem with it being too big, in the way, etc. that everyone else who does not like them seem to be mentioning. One of the best mods I have done so far, I had caught my heel on it accidentally a couple of times before the reshaping, never since. Maybe mine is one of a kind, but I do not plan to post the method in the "how to, step by step" forum.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
i am still undecided - i have to make myself use it - and then when only putting... the 13t came with it - so i am determined to give a go..but i certainly would not seek one out.. i would rather send the money to FOXCREEK leather - which has to be the finest i have gotten my hands on...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have Cobra Swept floorboards with the standard toe shifter. I will never go back to pegs. I think my next mod will be a heel toe shifter although the standard works fine.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
It's a personal preference thing. The heel toe shifter was one of the things I was looking for when I bought the X. I don't find it gets in the way at all. I find it much easier to kick down to shift you don't get the false neutrals. This is the first bike I've owned with floorboards and heel toe shifter and if I were to replace it today I'd have to get the same set up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have tried to use the heal shifter several times but just keep going back to the toe. I do however catch my pants leg over the heal shifter quite frequently when putting my foot down and that is a real PITA! I'd be better off without it, but as others have said it is personal preference.

·
Registered
435 Posts
A personal pref. no doubt about it.
only thing I would add. if you wear dress shoes to work or whatever and want the toe to stay clean and shiny, then it would probably be worth the extra $$ upgrade.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I love my heel-toe shifter and I have the OEM pegs for now. I changes out the shifter on my 1800C model and used a H/T shifter from the 1300R. Total cost was less than $50.00... I posted the instructions for those who want to do it.

:click: http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183406

I am still thinking about the floorboards but not sure which ones yet...:dontknow:

8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seeing as how i'm only 5'2", i find the heel shifter comes in real handy! i find it alot easier just to step down on the heel then try and get my toe under the shifter. How ever i can push down on the shifter and brake pedal just fine. My only complaint is the issue of not being able to move my left leg around, i have had it cramp up before.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Even though I wear a size 7 boot, I found the toe only shifter on my old 750 to be very clumsy. I adjusted the shifter on the 1300S so that the heel end is nearer to even with the surface of the footboard. Now it is easy to just slide my foot back a little to shift up. And it does eliminate "shifter toe" scuffs on my boots.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I grew up on toe shifters, and prefer it. This may be a stupid question, but if I cut off the heel side of it, will it be unbalanced and pull too much on the shaft, would a person have to spring load it so that it remains "balanced", or am I splitting hairs (I mean heels) here?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts