Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im driving from Arkansas to Destin Florida friday and im not sure of which helmet to carry. We dont have to wear a helmet in arkansas so I have never bought a true DOT helmet. We have some that are not really Dot helmets that we wear in Tn. My ? is do they check helmets in florida? I have only been checked 1 time before. They have the Dot stick but thats it. Any advice?:D

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Florida is a different world than Arkansas. I'd get and wear a good helmet. Who is it here says, "If you've got a $5 head, get a $5 helmet."? Good advice. You Floridians, don't take this personal, but, Ya'll drive crazy down there! Especially in the major cities. Rural's not so bad. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, many times in a big truck, tour bus and cage. Not on a bike yet, but some day. Wanna make Key West on the X. Maybe run down 441 out of Tennessee. That looks like an interesting road.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Florida is a different world than Arkansas. I'd get and wear a good helmet. Who is it here says, "If you've got a $5 head, get a $5 helmet."? Good advice. You Floridians, don't take this personal, but, Ya'll drive crazy down there! Especially in the major cities. Rural's not so bad. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, many times in a big truck, tour bus and cage. Not on a bike yet, but some day. Wanna make Key West on the X. Maybe run down 441 out of Tennessee. That looks like an interesting road.
i have never been stopped and check nor heard of anyone stopped around me for a helmet check. i still wear one not for the law(cause i have insurance) but for the protection(hope i never have to use it for that). but drivers here dont use turn signals. dont look. dont care. fast pased. and if they are in an accident it is never their fault, if they even have insurance in the first place.
thats all talkin from the mid-east coast to down south.
ride safe!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Nothing personal at all. Florida drivers are freaking nuts, and the more south you go the worse they get. In SoFla there's a three car rule at red lights - almost every red light three cars will go through after it goes red (especially left turn lights). Cops will be sitting at the intersection waiting to go straight, first car in the line, and do nothing. No turn signals, barely even look to change lanes. If they look at all. Wost part is that most of the really bad drivers have no papers, license or insurance.

Helmet? Not required but absolutely nuts to go without it down here! nojoke

·
Registered
784 Posts
Nothing personal at all. Florida drivers are freaking nuts, and the more south you go the worse they get. In SoFla there's a three car rule at red lights - almost every red light three cars will go through after it goes red (especially left turn lights). Cops will be sitting at the intersection waiting to go straight, first car in the line, and do nothing. No turn signals, barely even look to change lanes. If they look at all. Wost part is that most of the really bad drivers have no papers, license or insurance.

Helmet? Not required but absolutely nuts to go without it down here! nojoke
Yeah.... what he said!!!:agree:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody! We should be getting on the road at 7 tonight. We are going to drive as far as we can then get a room till daylight.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Most people in south Florida are from the north. Winter home. :shock: 2007 VTX 1300C
They are the ones going slower than everyone else, and often in the PASSING lanes. Equally as dangerous and greatly add to the road rage and frustration while driving. Somehow the concept of IF YOU ARE NOT PASSING PEOPLE, YOU ARE GOING TOO SLOW TO BE IN THE LEFT LANE is difficult to understand.

I was referring to many of the islanders who move here and bring their bad habits. Then you have the straight up crazy locals. Add in slow idiots in the passing lanes and it's a disaster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts