Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just finished this mod... Had a shop in the area put everything on for me, as I watched. I don't want to go back to this shop, so at this point my only option is to try to fix this issue myself. I jacked up the bike, and when I spin the rear wheel it does not spin freely and silently -- I can tell that the pads are making contact with the rotor throughout the entire revolution of the wheel. The wheel can be spun by hand, but there is definite resistance and a sound of contact.

I have a brand new 1800 rim, an 1800 rotor (and gear/bearing) that came off a different wheel, an 1800 caliper that came off yet another bike (2005), and new pads from HDL. I had been told initially that all the parts are the same, so it should not matter what year bike they came from, so I'm hoping this is not the problem.

It's been suggested that I lube the pins (that the pads move on) w/ brake grease, file down the outer edges of the pads, and then coat the backs of the pads with an anti-squeal compound. Can anyone confirm that this is the best way to go? Suggest something better/different/additional?

Also... The brake pedal is a bit squishy, as if the lines to be bled a bit more. Could this contribute to the problem at all?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
64,046 Posts
Disc brakes drag, no getting around that. Considering that the pads are new, they will be even noiseir than old pads because they have yet to be bedded into the rotor yet. If the wheel spins, they are fine. Your cars discs make noise if you put it in neutral without the engine running and push the car you'll hear them.
If the pedal is soft, the lines still have air in them and need more bleeding

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disc brakes drag, no getting around that. Considering that the pads are new, they will be even noiseir than old pads because they have yet to be bedded into the rotor yet. If the wheel spins, they are fine. Your cars discs make noise if you put it in neutral without the engine running and push the car you'll hear them.
If the pedal is soft, the lines still have air in them and need more bleeding
With the wheel up in the air, if I try to give it a good spin (like on The Price is Right), I'm not even sure I can get it to go around one complete revolution. This is still OK/normal? The front is not like this... Thanks

·
Super Moderator
64,046 Posts
Not only do you have drag from the brakes on the rear wheel, you also have the driveline drag so it won't spin as freely as the front. Give it a few dozen miles to bed in the pads to the rotor, it should be less noisey with each ride

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not only do you have drag from the brakes on the rear wheel, you also have the driveline drag so it won't spin as freely as the front. Give it a few dozen miles to bed in the pads to the rotor, it should be less noisey with each ride
OK, I will do that... Hopefully I can ride it to work a couple/few times this week -- just need the rain to stop.

How about this one... When the guy put the new wheel on, he said the amount of lube (should be moly paste, from what I read) was fine, and he didn't add any to the new wheel or anywhere else. I'm thinking I should go buy a tube of this stuff, pull the wheel off again, and slap some in there. What do you think? Necessary? URGENT?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts