Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to change out my stock 1300C handlebars for aftermarket bars. I thought this would be a good time to see what's all involved with running the wires internally. The question: Is it just the electrical wiring that goes inside them? I was curious if there was any way to run the throttle/clutch cables internally as well. I don't think you can, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Also, if you have any suggestions that would help with the installation, pictures of your setup and what bars you decided to go with, that would really help.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Heres a pic of my Cruiser Performance 1.5'' bars with the wiring ran internally. I cut and extended each wire. I staggered the cuts and soldered both ends and used heat shrink tubing over the connections. The bars come pre-drilled for internal wiring. I used a shop vac to suck throught a piece of string and then pulled a wire back through to use as a drag line. Make sure you write down all of the markings on each wire and do 1 side at a time. Theres like 13 wires on one side and 8 or 9 on the other. It took me about 6 hours of cutting and soldering ect. I thing it was worth it in the end. I just went with braided clutch and brake lines and it looks even better now.

You can see where the wiring enters the bars. The wire in the middle is for the tach. I used some stainless braiding for a finished look. Then below the trees I switched back to the factory black wire covering.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Check out Highlander Custom Cycles at:
http://www.vtxcustoms.com/

These guy's offer custom bars with all hidden cables and wiring for 1000.00 dollars less than the other guy's!

Just call and ask for Shawn.... and tell him Randall recommended him! He's in the middle of doing mine and I'm heading their next weekend to set the ride height and width. Custom all the way!

RKip 8)

·
Mad Hatter
21,317 Posts
Eric, did U also Drill Holes in your Upper Tree?? Looks Good!

·
Registered
201 Posts

Bike is still being customized....however the internal wired handle bars are completed.
Will provide better pictures when complete....If we ever get the rest of the parts in before the end of the year. :roll:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Kevin Kuiper said:
Eric, did U also Drill Holes in your Upper Tree?? Looks Good!
Yes. Because of where the holes enter the bars I felt it would look the best if I drilled right through the top tree.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Mr VTX, you can run what ever you would like through the bars. Its just a matter of how much work and $$ you want to spend :D
On my project, I have nothing left on the bars except for a clutch and brake line 8) I prefer the clean look :lol:
[/img]

·
Registered
320 Posts
Im not as patient. I pulled all the wires at once on each side. Wrapped some tape around the bundle of wires and applied some lubrication and pulled em thru.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Would it be possible to drill the riser part of the bars so that the wires went through the threads to below the top tree, or would this cause the bar to be structurally unsafe?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts