Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you have done it knowing what you know now about the economy, your job, etc?

I wouldn't have. I would have held on to my '02 1800C instead of selling it and buying a new 1300S, which added about $3,000 of debt (I spent some of the 1800C proceeds on car repairs).

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
wow..from an 1800 to a 1300 ???

good question..im un-employed now..and it sucks..still have a note on my ride i purchased in 2004..it will be paid off this year..but its not easy...

i told my wife we had to scale back on dinners and movies..cause my
bike is more important....:thumbup::thumbup:..shhhhhhhh:p

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yep, I still would have bought it. It has helped me save gas money already.

I have an 04 1300C that I bought used and got a very good deal on. I was able to pay it off........so, it's doing nothing by saving me money when I'm able to ride it and not drive the Expedition. Now, if I could get my teenage to slow down some!!! I guess the money I'm saving riding the bike is going in her car!!! :shock:

We have slowed down all around on spending money and trying to keep everything paid off or down as much as possible.

G

·
You can second guess alot of things like that. But I feel you have to live for today. If you think should've, could've, would've you'll drive yourself crazy. My wife got her bike this year and, we have had alot of fun riding as a family. So I would have still got the bike for her.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I bought my "new" bike gently used last March- '05 with around 4600 miles on it. YES, I wanted it, I had room in the budget for it, and been out of the Wind for too long. It's my friend and I'm keepin' it!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I couldn't pass up on the deal. New 2006 in 2008. Used were going for more than I paid.
Had just paid the car off so it was either a new car or the X... No brainer
yes I would have!

You know I justified it to myself as the gas i would save, but that's BS. I drive 50 miles round trip to work and back. My car gets 20 mpg. I sneak out durring lunch and go for a ride (in the summer). so I spend the same amount of $$ just have more fun doin it :lol:

G

·
wow..from an 1800 to a 1300 ???
I've seen others make that switch, even saw one guy who wrecked his 1300, replaced it with an 1800 that he loves, but his signature says his 1300 was the best bike he ever owned.

As to the question ......

No, I would still have bought.

That having been said ... I hope I don't have to buy another vehicle anytime soon! :D

As far as debt load, I could afford to pay off today then entire bike if I wanted to ...... but the payments are so low that I enjoy having that case buffer in the bank ... having said that, if the shyte hits the fan, I'll write a paid-in-full check to Honda Credit and escape from this place on the VTX!

Sell everything but the bike ---- pocket the money and move to a friendlier place!!!! :D

:D

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I bought a new 07 in September of 08. I had to make a hard sacrifice:confused: to buy my bike...........that was a habit of smoking a pack a day for 30 years. That was 5.00 a day for a pack of my 20 little friends. That along with the 400.00-500.00 a month To fuel the truck (costs me roughly 25.00 a month to fuel the bike:lol:), and putting it down on paper made it a no brainer for me. Yes I would have bought knowing what I know now with the economy. :thumbup: I loved smoking,but, I love to ride even more and my wife says not only do I look cool on the bike, but that I also smell better. Its like giving her a green M&M:mrgreen:

·
Registered
769 Posts
My other ride is/was a 2001 dodge ram.
Montly payment 266
Insurance 233
Gas 400

VTX
Payment 187
Insurance 89
Gas 60

granted gas has come down quite a bit, but its still 250 or so a month to fill it up and i dont really drive anywhere but home and work. We just paid off my other half's vehicle so since she likes driving the truck, she volunteered to take over payments

yeah, i'd still have gotten it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It was a easy choice for me personally, as it was write the ck to the IRS or something else :mrgreen:
As far as worrying about the economy there are lots of company's havening banner years. But CNN wont tell you about those...:roll:
Gary

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would have still bought the bike. Easy for me since I had worked 12/7 for the last 2 years. Less than 30 days off in 2 years. So I had saved the OT money and paid cash for the bike. Paid off the house and truck. Debt free now and laid off this week. I hope the economy picks up soon for everyone.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I personally wouldn't spend $10G* on a new bike right now, cash has been tight and I just lost a co-worker to permanent layoff. If my number comes up I'll do almost anything to not have to sell the bike. It is paid off, and I waited sooo long to get one!

My wife tells everyone who brings it up that the gas angle is a load of crap.:-? She cites accessories, safety gear, tires every year & valve checks every year (assuming 8000 miles per year).:tools: Oh well, that angle got me in the door :doorag:

*sure you can get 1 for less than that, but you might replace seat & pipes, add a windshield, etc.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Does 2009 count? I still would have....oh, I just did on 01/02/2009. I bought an '06 1300R with lots of goodies. Great time of the year to be buying. Saved my pennies and found that 'cash' is a good incentive for getting a good deal.
Will

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Would you have done it knowing what you know now about the economy, your job, etc?

I wouldn't have. I would have held on to my '02 1800C instead of selling it and buying a new 1300S, which added about $3,000 of debt (I spent some of the 1800C proceeds on car repairs).
I had considered buying new, then changed my mind based on the economy and bought used instead. The used bike had a few mods on it (pipes, saddles, backrest, windshield, saddle bags) so I saved alot of money there, on top of the price of a brand new bike. It would have been more fun buying new and modding the bike my own way, but the economy spoke to me.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
honestly i only hated the high gas prices but the economy hasn't really bothered me so much.
my wife works for the state health dept. and in my work people always need commercial doors and hardware.
city/county maintance depts., school boards, hospitals, instutions, colleges, military bases, detention centers and prisons keep me busy.:p

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well since I just bought some new saddlebags yesterday for a bike I don't have yet, I am going to have to get a 1300 in a couple months and sell my aero.

·
Banned
8,514 Posts
My other ride is/was a 2001 dodge ram.
Montly payment 266
Insurance 233
Gas 400

VTX
Payment 187
Insurance 89
Gas 60

granted gas has come down quite a bit, but its still 250 or so a month to fill it up and i dont really drive anywhere but home and work. We just paid off my other half's vehicle so since she likes driving the truck, she volunteered to take over payments

yeah, i'd still have gotten it.
You're paying waaay too much per month for insurance! Maybe that hot looking chick in the white dress can give you a better deal!

G

·
When you think about it - financially speaking it may be easier to keep a bike through hard times than you think.

Say you bought a $10,000 bike and financed it for 60 months?

What's the payment? $210 - $250 depending on rate???

So basically if you can "squirrel away " $840 to $1,000 that would in bad times get you through 4 months which may be enough to get you over the bad part.

I know it is not easy to squirrel that kind of money away, or is it??

What's you deductible on your ins? $500 ??? That is an out of pocket expense, you probably should have at least the deductible amount available.

That's what I'd be doing at this time ...... squeezing every dime I spend to the max, and putting some away.

The "other" problem with a vehicle in " bad times " ...... If you have a loan against it and have to sell it, you better be able to sell it for enough to satisfy the loan, or have the cash on hand to make up the difference.

ALSO another trick - not all loans are written the same way.

Some, if you pay extra it is applied to the principal, some it is applied to the next payment. If your is such that it is applied to the next payment as Honda American Finance motorcycle loans seem to be, and extra amount will reduce the next payment by that amount.

Say your payment is $200, you send them $250 in January ... in February they will send you a bill for $150 or there abouts. Basically you could pay your way into a month or two where no payment would be do.

Of course if you continue to send in the normal payment plus the extra, you pay off the loan a lot earlier and SAVE INTEREST.

Talk to your lender to see how your loan functions, and most importantly ...

TALK TO YOUR LENDER BEFORE THEY HAVE TO CALL YOU !!!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts