Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, what’s a happy range for RPMs when you’re cruising? I do something like 2500-4000, but I have gone up to 5K. FYI today I was on the freeway and when the clock read 90 mph the tach read 3800 RPMs.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
personally I like to keep it under 2K for the best MPG (car or bike). hard to do on the X due to the lack of a 6th gear. at 70-75 mph I believe it sits around 3.3 -3.5K

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Really, under 2K? Isn’t that like lugging it?
Like I said, hard to do on the X. Seems to be best around 3K At highway speeds. But it doesn’t lug, and I’m pretty good at quick downshifts when I need to accelerate.

I don’t ride for speed, I ride to cruise and relax, I’m never in any hurry to go anywhere.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
Just curious, what’s a happy range for RPMs when you’re cruising? I do something like 2500-4000, but I have gone up to 5K. FYI today I was on the freeway and when the clock read 90 mph the tach read 3800 RPMs.
Stock Honda speedo can be off by as much as 5-10 mph. I'm running a darkside 205-65-16 rear tire to true the mph to within 1-1.5 mph actual. So for indicated 70 mph, my VDO/ Rivco tach is rock steady @ 3K rpms. Not sure what higher speeds read. I try to avoid speeding tickets.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stock Honda speedo can be off by as much as 5-10 mph. I'm running a darkside 205-65-16 rear tire to true the mph to within 1-1.5 mph actual. So for indicated 70 mph, my VDO/ Rivco tach is rock steady @ 3K rpms. Not sure what higher speeds read. I try to avoid speeding tickets.
I'm mainly asking what range of RPMs guys (who can tell by a tach) are running at. Regarding speedometer error, it's a built-in percentage, generally 8-10% over actual. Notice my post reads "...the clock read 90 mph..." (I have stock tire sizes) The flow of traffic at that point was just a few mph lower than my speed, I was getting past a big rig kicking up road dust. No tickets or accidents since my 20s--knock wood;-)

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
"Happy range" is very subjective. You'd need to ask a more specific question. (sorry, I am an engineer)
For my 1800, anything above 3000 yields great power band.
RPM above 3500 don't provide good economy at all.
RPM above 4000 make her purr nicely without much vibration.
But those are just my observations.

I wholeheartedly agree that she is missing a 6th gear to bring the cruising RPM down for better economy and less wear on the engine. There is no reason the engine has to scream 4000 rpm on the interstate. That's passing RPM, IMO, not cruising RPM. Do I need to buy a Harley? LOL

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Happy range" is very subjective. You'd need to ask a more specific question. (sorry, I am an engineer)
For my 1800, anything above 3000 yields great power band.
RPM above 3500 don't provide good economy at all.
RPM above 4000 make her purr nicely without much vibration.
But those are just my observations.

I wholeheartedly agree that she is missing a 6th gear to bring the cruising RPM down for better economy and less wear on the engine. There is no reason the engine has to scream 4000 rpm on the interstate. That's passing RPM, IMO, not cruising RPM. Do I need to buy a Harley? LOL
The term “happy range” is meant to be subjective—What feels good to you? Not sure but is 4000 RPMs considered screaming? Not that much experience about v-twins because I’ve only had a couple of them, and a VTX is liquid cooled after all. For me a point of reference my Honda Valkyrie could easily and smoothly cruise all day at 4000 RPMs, but that was a flat six engine.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
You know I start off on my VTX trying to relax but that bike brings out the adrenaline in me. I got another bike a Vulcan 2000, I called that my melatonin bike LOL

yeah depending on the song pumping through my Sena that happens to me as well, but for the most part I am the guy you hate to be behind in a car or on the bike. right lane cruising at 10 under. As I said, I am never in a hurry to get anywhere. I learned a long time ago that saving 2-5 seconds just isn't worth it.

it is actually amusing to me to see guys speed just to beat me to the next red light or catch up to the cluster of idiots on the road and be forced to slow. I ride a bicycle to work 4 days a week and just laugh at the idiots that HAVE to scream past me doing 50-55 in a 35mph zone only to be caught at the next red light, where I am humming along at a steady 23-24mph and pass them and the row of cars they are stuck behind because as I get to the intersection the light changes and I can "split" the lane on my bicycle, only to have them scream past me again to be first to the next red light.

had a FedEx driver like that today, for over 3 miles, and guess what, he ended up at my companies loading dock, about 15 seconds before me. just stupid IMO.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the way, I don’t see how 4K RPMs has anybody running at 70 mph. my original post says that 3800 RPMs had me at what the clock reported to be 90. I believe I was probably doing something like 82 mph at 3800 RPMs in high gear. I think that would have me cruising at 70 actual mph at right around 3k or maybe less. Again I’m running stock tire sizes.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
By the way, I don’t see how 4K RPMs has anybody running at 70 mph. my original post says that 3800 RPMs had me at what the clock reported to be 90. I believe I was probably doing something like 82 mph at 3800 RPMs in high gear. I think that would have me cruising at 70 actual mph at right around 3k or maybe less. Again I’m running stock tire sizes.
I'm running a 240/40VR18 on my F rear, 75 is about 3.3K as I recall. so yeah 3K at 70 is about right.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah depending on the song pumping through my Sena that happens to me as well, but for the most part I am the guy you hate to be behind in a car or on the bike. right lane cruising at 10 under. As I said, I am never in a hurry to get anywhere. I learned a long time ago that saving 2-5 seconds just isn't worth it.

it is actually amusing to me to see guys speed just to beat me to the next red light or catch up to the cluster of idiots on the road and be forced to slow. I ride a bicycle to work 4 days a week and just laugh at the idiots that HAVE to scream past me doing 50-55 in a 35mph zone only to be caught at the next red light, where I am humming along at a steady 23-24mph and pass them and the row of cars they are stuck behind because as I get to the intersection the light changes and I can "split" the lane on my bicycle, only to have them scream past me again to be first to the next red light.

had a FedEx driver like that today, for over 3 miles, and guess what, he ended up at my companies loading dock, about 15 seconds before me. just stupid IMO.
Well it’s fun to go fast sometimes, especially on a twisty road and yes if I get behind a slow poke I don’t stay there for long LOL. But at the same time I consider myself a fairly careful, safe rider, i’m not a SQUID at least! That’s more for my son’s generation on their sport bikes

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Well it’s fun to go fast sometimes, especially on a twisty road and yes if I get behind a slow poke I don’t stay there for long LOL. But at the same time I consider myself a fairly careful, safe rider, i’m not a SQUID at least! That’s more for my son’s generation on their sport bikes
I was a squid at one point, spent most of my motorcycle life on sport bikes. but then had a bad accident, then got old. so here we are... I can be a speed demon when I need to be.. but for day to day driving I'm a middle aged grandpa

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
I guarantee you at 4K in 5th gear I'm doing a lot more than 70 mph! I've proved it and documented and my experience to show how and the results. Next time I get out on the Interstate I'll mark it down for you. I don't know because it was never a priority for me.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
The term “happy range” is meant to be subjective—What feels good to you? Not sure but is 4000 RPMs considered screaming?
Gotcha. Yeah, 4000 sounds like screaming to me. It is close to redline. I'd prefer cruising in the first half of the RPM range. But again, we'd need 6th gear for that. No reason to overtax the engine. That's why God invented transmissions in the first place. No? :)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Yyyyyeeeeaaaaahhhh, I never said "70" when I mentioned the 4000. But if a cop stops me, I will be absolutely positively sure that I was doing 70 @ 4000. :D

bet that goes over as well as "I had the cruise control set at 64!"

1 - 20 of 45 Posts