Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying that I've researched installing ape hangers. I've been going with this idea off and on for a while, and I've spent the last few days reading every post on this board that I could find. I've been going from website to website seeing what is out there.
I ride a 2006 1300C. Here's what I know:
- Factory risers from and R or S model will fit on a C model
- Factory risers will only accept 1" bars
- Rise of ape hangers determines how far over stock I have to go on cables. Everybody seems to say that I should mount my bars first, and then measure for cables.
That's what I've learned. Am I correct so far?
HERE'S WHERE I'M CONFUSED:
- I've had a few people tell me that if I go higher than 12" I should go with a 1.25" bar because a 1" bar that's higher than 12" will flex too much. What are your thoughts on this?
- All risers that accept 1.25" bars are made for Harley bolts, meaning I'll have to drill out the triple trees or find an adapter. What are your thoughts on this?
I want to go with 16" Carlini Gangster Apes. They are 1.25" bars. I really want to avoid drilling my triple trees so I can retain the option of putting the stock bars back on if I decide to sell down the road.
I really need everybody's help on this one.
Thanks for taking the time to read.

·
Registered
297 Posts
if you don't stop to read you will be more confused hahaaa
I have 16" hanger from LA choppers and 1,5" risers no drilling.
I made mistake I cut all cables at once (only one side)I didn't know there is cable with same colore so striped outside ruber and made extension about 12" long and soldered one by one and I was done in about 3 hr.
no big deal just go slow and take your time.
good luck

·
Registered
433 Posts
Let me start by saying that I've researched installing ape hangers. I've been going with this idea off and on for a while, and I've spent the last few days reading every post on this board that I could find. I've been going from website to website seeing what is out there.
I ride a 2006 1300C. Here's what I know:
- Factory risers from and R or S model will fit on a C model
- Factory risers will only accept 1" bars
- Rise of ape hangers determines how far over stock I have to go on cables. Everybody seems to say that I should mount my bars first, and then measure for cables.
That's what I've learned. Am I correct so far?
HERE'S WHERE I'M CONFUSED:
- I've had a few people tell me that if I go higher than 12" I should go with a 1.25" bar because a 1" bar that's higher than 12" will flex too much. What are your thoughts on this?
- All risers that accept 1.25" bars are made for Harley bolts, meaning I'll have to drill out the triple trees or find an adapter. What are your thoughts on this?
I want to go with 16" Carlini Gangster Apes. They are 1.25" bars. I really want to avoid drilling my triple trees so I can retain the option of putting the stock bars back on if I decide to sell down the road.
I really need everybody's help on this one.
Thanks for taking the time to read.
The first part, Yes the R and S model risers will work but only for 1" bars, I believe others with the C model have put on different risers that will accept larger dia bars without drilling....However on my bars the space where the stock risers mount is 1" but the bars are 1.25...

The second part, I don't know about the flex on the higher 1" bars...I have notice on mine that the hand vibration is alot less...I would go with the larger dia if put on 16" bars plus you can hide the electrical cables easier thur the 1.25 for a cleaner look...You can do this just take your time when you splice your electrical together to make them longer, make sure you stagger your cuts so they will pull thur the bars...

Yes, mount bars before ordering your throttle, clutch and brake cable, measure with a piece of stiff wire..

Hope this helps, let me know if I missed something...

·
Registered
214 Posts
You can find apes that ate 1.25 and will work with factory 1" risers they are cut down were the risers go.

·
Registered
48 Posts
apes

When you decide on how long your cables need to be, i have brand new ,mounted but never run 6" over stainless from barnet, I will sell cheaper than i bought.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the offer; I'll keep you in mind. I just better get myself in gear before the weather starts warming up, otherwise I'll never get it done then.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The Carlini Bars have 11" of width where the risers will mount. You are good there. If you decide on the Carlini's you will definitely have to buy new risers to not only fit 1.25" bars, but also mount to your stock Triple Tree deck with 12mm x 1.25 bolts. These are readily available and I think Carlini even sells a set for the VTX at around $100.00 ("Diamond Riser 3's"?? I think).
That solves mounting the bars. Next are the cables. I could sit here and tell you that I used +6" throttle and +4" brake Cables, but for some reason, everyone seems to have a different opinion and application issue that effects the final measurement. (Don't ask me how I know this...:evil:)
You can ask the other members here who run 16" apes what they did and take your chances, or you can buy your bars and measure them yourself. Your choice.
On a positive note, I recommend looking around locally in your area for the brake line. I had a stainles steel braided brake line made at a local hose specialty shop for $50.00. The guy made it while I waited and was done in 20 minutes. Saved me a lot of BS and the price was right.
The throttle, push/pull and clutch cables will need to be ordered specific so you may want to save yourself the aggravation and go ahead with the "mock it up and measure" method that folks have been suggesting.
As far as 1" bars flexing on you? Yeah, I could see that happening. Not a big dealbreaker though IMO.....The bigger deal is the look IMO. 16" Apes with a 1.25-1.5"" diameter will look thicker than a set of 1" dia. apes. If that's the look you are trying to achieve, then go for it. It's all about what you like. Have fun with it...'cause whatever the outcome you decide, one thing I know for sure! You will love the results!! :thumbup:

Stay Safe out there!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BornOnFire - Thank you very much for the detailed information. It's just what I was looking for to confirm what I was sure about, but not 100% positive. I've got the bars down to either LA Choppers or Carlini Gangsters (16") and both are 1.25" bars. Like you said, I think the look of thicker bars would be so much better. I was already planning on mounting the bars first, measuring twice, and then ordering the cables. Thanks again, everybody, for the information. I'll keep posting my progress.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if you don't stop to read you will be more confused hahaaa
I have 16" hanger from LA choppers and 1,5" risers no drilling.
I made mistake I cut all cables at once (only one side)I didn't know there is cable with same colore so striped outside ruber and made extension about 12" long and soldered one by one and I was done in about 3 hr.
no big deal just go slow and take your time.
good luck

I'm about to install 14" LA Ape hangers with 6" straight risers, Just from the clutch side there are 20 wires (overwhelming). Did you stagger the cuts and pull the extensions out from the bottom of the ape hangers and solder them between the risers. I presume heat shrink on each one, but I'm visualizing a big wad of wire between the risers.
Were you push the wires back into the bottom of the handle bars? I think I need about 7" more inches, do you think 12 to 14" extensions would give me enough play?
Mine is a 2011 VT1300ct. Never done any Internet social networking or join a forum like this hoping I posted this where it will be noticed

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I have a set of apes for sale. brand new never installed. see the 1300 for sale board.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts