Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Geeze, I got a 450 for Xmas and traded it in on a 550 and was all happy:D
Now, a 660 available:mad: :dontknow: Oh well, the 550 is a whole lot better than the Quest 2 I had:thumbup: Now, if spring would just hurry up a bit so I could go out and try it:-?:doorag:

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Maybe a stupid question...but what makes it better.
It goes to 11................

For all you Spinal Tap fans!:thumbup:

Seriously, I don't know. I have an old Street Pilot C330 that's worked just fine for years now. Not sure why but a lot of people seem to get excited about the bluetooth feature.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Well, here's my take on a GPS for the bike. Have seen them used
while in a friends car, pretty nice. Ok, really nice.
But for now on the bike (unless I'm going to work) I usually just
ride and get lost. That's why I have a compass. And when it's time
to head home I look at the compass and go "Hmmm, need to head south".
At some point in time I hit a major thouroughfair and make my way home.

For now I would rather save the money and just pay for gas.
I need to get out more often.

Since it's winter, how about some more snow. I have a new snow
thrower that needs some exercise. :grin:

Spring can't come soon enough.

JT

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts
Well, here's my take on a GPS for the bike. Have seen them used
while in a friends car, pretty nice. Ok, really nice.
But for now on the bike (unless I'm going to work) I usually just
ride and get lost. That's why I have a compass. And when it's time
to head home I look at the compass and go "Hmmm, need to head south".
At some point in time I hit a major thouroughfair and make my way home.

For now I would rather save the money and just pay for gas.
I need to get out more often.

Since it's winter, how about some more snow. I have a new snow
thrower that needs some exercise. :grin:

Spring can't come soon enough.

JT
I agree, when around here. But when I go on long road trips, I never(or rarely ) travel the interstate. So, when going through huge states like Montana, and I'm on a 2 lane and towns are 25 miles or more apart and not every town has a gas station, it is a very good feature to be able to pull up "Gas Stations" on the Points Of Interest menu and it will pull up a list of the nearest stations. When I get through the day and I need to find a hotel, it finds those too. Another benefit is when in the mountains or twisties, it gives you an advanced warning of how sharp the next corner is going to be.
:cool:

·
Registered
883 Posts
I agree, when around here. But when I go on long road trips, I never(or rarely ) travel the interstate. So, when going through huge states like Montana, and I'm on a 2 lane and towns are 25 miles or more apart and not every town has a gas station, it is a very good feature to be able to pull up "Gas Stations" on the Points Of Interest menu and it will pull up a list of the nearest stations. When I get through the day and I need to find a hotel, it finds those too. Another benefit is when in the mountains or twisties, it gives you an advanced warning of how sharp the next corner is going to be.
Point taken. That's what makes GPS's very handy. Last trip I did was mostly interstate. Didn't have to worry about gas too much. Told
you I need to get out more. I guess that's why my wife ask's me "do I know where I'm going" when we take the back roads. :yikes:

So the GPS will warn you of a sharp curve? Woh, that's cool.

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts
Well, it does "warn" you per se, it shows the road you are on, and you can see the turn that is ahead and how sharp it is on the screen. 8)

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Well, it does "warn" you per se, it shows the road you are on, and you can see the turn that is ahead and how sharp it is on the screen. 8)
All I can think about is Bluto leading us thru Golden Gate Canyon in Colorado a few years back using his GPS for exactly that... What a fun ride!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exactly!!! Plus it's kinda fun to know the elevation when going thru
mountain passes or deep valleys and it let's you monitor your speed more closely than your speedo, amongst other things. (if your GPS hhas these options)

Mike

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts
I forgot to add this, last year when I did my 17 day ride up through Canada, I knew kinda where I wanted to end up each day. Say like a "Goal" city I wanted to be in. So, I could put that city(or hotel ) address into the Zumo and then just ride taking whatever road I thought would be cool. The Zumo would alway get me to that city and I found great little roads that had little traffic on them. Plus what Bopps said about the speed. I got rid on my stock gauges on my Harley and have digital. So, I put the Zumo in for KilometersPerHour and still had the MPH on my gauges. :cool:

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
One thing we found out was if you are in a hurry, DON'T put in the shortest route. It hits every small road it can find. We used it going to N.C. this Christmas and we hit some of the twistyest roads from here to there. It put on about 4 hrs more though. On a bike this would have been fantastic. We were in the car.:-x We have the Nuvi 260.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts