Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like all things Shelby (and ford related)....just a FYI...for those that have Net Flix there is a documentary “The 24 Hour War” that tells the story, with the real folk...knew most of the story..but it did fill in some blanks...:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I do not have Net-Flicks...

but I do know most of the story from Books..
all 3 sides.
Ferrari
Ford
Shelby

same with Corvette, Chevy Racing, Zora Arkus-Duntov
Mopar, Ram-Chargers.
Pontiac, Super-Duty,
Dodge/Plymouth in Nascar with the Daytona and the 426.

·
Premium Member
6,586 Posts
Shelby influenced more than just Ford in his history. That, of course is what the movie is about but in 1986 I owned a different Shelby that wasn't a Ford. That car was on rails! Not the fastest, although it was quick in it's day, but that car was on rails.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,586 Posts
Yup, that's it. Mine was the silver on red color scheme. My buddy had a Shelby Daytona (same year). We both chipped the engines to stage 1 and got the extra 30hp with a boost upgrade. The Charger was always a bit quicker than his Daytona but the Daytona was better equipped. By today's standards, nothing was too special about these, but at the time, they were really fun cars to rip around in.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
for the YOUNG,,,,'

oil embargo...
The OPEC oil embargo was a decision to stop exporting oil to the United States. On October 19, 1973, the 12 OPEC members agreed to the embargo. Over the next six months, oil prices quadrupled. Prices remained at higher levels even after the embargo ended in March 1974.
1970,, gas was $0.36 per gallon
1974,, gas was $2.53 per gallon

federal law for fuel mileage

federal law for cleaner exhaust from cars
leaded fuel outlawed. except for a few.
R12 Freon banned.

some engines lost over 50 percent of its horsepower.

think of it... a 454 Chevy went from 470 horsepower to 260 in one year.
soon after most V8's vanished

Cars got much smaller/lighter,,, plastic car body parts became common.
bumpers, dashboards, inner fenders.

1974 thru the 80's were painful...

·
Premium Member
6,586 Posts
for the YOUNG,,,,'

oil embargo...
The OPEC oil embargo was a decision to stop exporting oil to the United States. On October 19, 1973, the 12 OPEC members agreed to the embargo. Over the next six months, oil prices quadrupled. Prices remained at higher levels even after the embargo ended in March 1974.
1970,, gas was $0.36 per gallon
1974,, gas was $2.53 per gallon

federal law for fuel mileage

federal law for cleaner exhaust from cars
leaded fuel outlawed. except for a few.
R12 Freon banned.

some engines lost over 50 percent of its horsepower.

think of it... a 454 Chevy went from 470 horsepower to 260 in one year.
soon after most V8's vanished

Cars got much smaller/lighter,,, plastic car body parts became common.
bumpers, dashboards, inner fenders.

1974 thru the 80's were painful...
Yes, that was a dark time for automotive performance. I will say that Chrysler did a lot in those days to drive forward turbocharging and made it reasonably commonplace for the time. Trying to get more from less.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My 1980 Corvette, 185hp. Speedo only went to 80 or 85 if memory serves. But it could still corner like a cheetah :)

in 1990, I restored my 1979 Corvette,, body and mechanics.
made it a 383 cu.in. 490 hp at the rear tires... 3,800 stall converter, 4:10 gears...

Silver Metal Flake ( not metallic )
Chrome headers and side pipes.. no mufflers.
for the street and car shows.

as you stated.. 185hp from a 350...

I say it was a joke. EPA killed many a good engine.

scanB447 by , on Flickr
scanB449 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

Aluminum heads, roller rockers... high lift camshaft.
custom made valve covers.

·
Premium Member
6,586 Posts
Well, the EPA was right about one thing. It did drive innovation. We now have 700 and 800 HP engines meeting emission and economy standards that 350 small block couldn't have touched in that time. IF, in the '80s, someone would have suggested 700+hp in a factory floor car, on pump gas, we would have laughed our arses off. We truly thought the pinnacle of the muscle car was past ... never to return.

The C2 and C3 Corvettes were the best looking 'Vettes until the C7 and now the C8. But the C2 and C3 will always remain the look of the classic 'Vette IMO.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
you are correct.... but 700 plus is made using a supercharger...

you are also correct.... the HORSEPOWER was dead and never to return...

then production of turbo's..... fuel injection... full engine management by computer, fly by wire..

back in the day.. a properly tuned stock HP 454 was 500 and change horsepower with a carburetor.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
to extend this a little bit more

the 2020 Super Snake ( Mustang ) and the Super Corvette.. both will use the same supercharger..

Checker , Nash , Hudson and a few others were the only ones to use parts from the big 3...

today they all share parts if needed/wanted.

many years. Jaguar used GM transmissions.... then Ford purchased Jaguar.. but continued to use GM transmissions.

·
Premium Member
6,586 Posts
to extend this a little bit more

the 2020 Super Snake ( Mustang ) and the Super Corvette.. both will use the same supercharger..

Checker , Nash , Hudson and a few others were the only ones to use parts from the big 3...

today they all share parts if needed/wanted.

many years. Jaguar used GM transmissions.... then Ford purchased Jaguar.. but continued to use GM transmissions.
It's like automotive incest, lol. It just doesn't make sense for a company to develop their own blower for the few thousand they'll sell. There are great companies that have already done the hard work there. It's still got to be profitable.

·
Super Moderator
6,453 Posts
My '69 Javelin had a GM distributor in its Ford block, (290), and Desoto rear axles. At that time AMC was doing little in the way of R&R or production of their own parts. Still though it is probably my favorite car of the many I've owned, including the vette. Big Bad Blue was the color.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
funny you talk about AMC..

my first car with a bank note , I had this final choice.

1965 Marlin
1964 Chevelle SS, 4 speed.

got the 64 Chevelle.

Pacer, Gremlin...
back in the day, did a few conversions ,
installing Chevy 327/350's...
talk about "Sleepers"... if you could keep the glass in them.

·
Premium Member
6,586 Posts
funny you talk about AMC..

my first car with a bank note , I had this final choice.

1965 Marlin
1964 Chevelle SS, 4 speed.

got the 64 Chevelle.

Pacer, Gremlin...
back in the day, did a few conversions ,
installing Chevy 327/350's...
talk about "Sleepers"... if you could keep the glass in them.
Lol ... those bodies were not ever intended for that much torque. Buddy built a V8 Vega. He started with a 327 'Vette engine from a wreck. THAT, was a huge learning experience in frame re-enforcement. But, damn that car was quick! No pump gas for that mighty mouse! He actually ended up working at the local speed shop for parts. I had welding experience, my best friend was an apprentice mechanic, another buddy was strong like bull and very mechanically talented, it was kind of a community project, one guy funded and raced. We all loved to see those ETA's arrive every run though.

My brother ... we could go on for days about that period in my youth. I would love to sit an BS with you one day. I suspect you have a great many stories to share. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Truly fun times. Very fond memories.

And yes, to this day, my favorite car of all time was the '66 Shelby Super Snake. Typical American performance logic. "Need more power, add a blower ... hell add two!"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts