Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, I hope y'all won't hate me if I confess that I brought home another bike last week.
And it is not a VTX. Oops.

I just could not refuse an offer I was made (no, there was no horse head in my bed).
I tried justifying it to The Wife as "I am saving this poor neglected thing" but she called BS. :D

I bought a nice 100-yr anniversary Softail Standard. It's got the 884 engine (aka Twin Cam 88B with 1450cc) which makes this awesome sound that I just cannot get enough of. My VTX does not sound that cool. (I know, I am not supposed to say anything bad about our VTXs)

She's been up north for years, got brought to TX in a move and been sitting out in the sun and rain for years. Needs plenty of TLC, already fixed some issues with the shifter, clutch etc. More to be done. But it's labor of love. :)

I hope y'all can forgive me. But I tell ya, if you sat on her and fired her up, you'd understand in a heartbeat!

·
Super Moderator
6,492 Posts
Once you get the work/cosmetic things taken care of I'm sure you'll enjoy the nimbleness in addtion to the sound. Make sure you check the cam chain tensioners, they're a weak point if they're still factory.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wilco. (y)
I need the repair manual first. Ordered it on Thursday morning. No tracking number yet. Says it will be here sometime .... when it gets here. :)
Don't want to dig into bigger stuff without a manual for sure. But yes, I will be checking some much needed stuff.
Btw, she has only 10k miles. I was surprised how little she's been used.
I was also surprised at the lack of power. My VTX 1800 makes twice the power this 1500 has. :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Wilco. (y)
I need the repair manual first. Ordered it on Thursday morning. No tracking number yet. Says it will be here sometime .... when it gets here. :)
Don't want to dig into bigger stuff without a manual for sure. But yes, I will be checking some much needed stuff.
Btw, she has only 10k miles. I was surprised how little she's been used.
I was also surprised at the lack of power. My VTX 1800 makes twice the power this 1500 has. :eek:
Lou, the 88's were a bit lacking in power but have amazing potential. Of course if anyone wants a hot rod, a Harley big twin isn't necessarily the best choice to start with. It may have less power, but the power it does have is more visceral than the Honda, IMO. Somehow less refined with more character somewhat soulful. That is not in any way to diminish the VTX. Many love the refinement that comes with Japanese bike, as do I. Aside from having the same number of wheels, and the same number of cylinders, they couldn't be more different in character.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Year, Model, Cost ... please 😁
2003 Softail Standard FSXYZABCOMGLOL. I really don't know all the HD model designators. Gotta learn them.

Cost? Well, lemme tell you, I feel like I stole it.
Only 15% more than what I paid for my VTX. Should have paid triple, right? :D

Gotta go do somme wrenching! AFK

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
2003 Softail Standard FSXYZABCOMGLOL. I really don't know all the HD model designators. Gotta learn them.

it's gonna be one of those days..... :sneaky:

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts

It's either an FXST or FXSTI
F= big twin
X= sport model, narrow front tire / forks
ST= softail frame
I= injected if yours is

Mine is an FLTRU
F= big twin
L= big front, wide tire / wide forks (hydraglide front)
T= touring frame
R= Road Glide
U= Ultra, tour pack, comfort package

after a while it comes kinda natural. XL are sportsters and FXD are dyna. The new ones tend to be a mix because they are either touring/highway or softail. No more dynas.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Lou, very nice bike. Enjoy the hell out of it. You'll never get any razzing from me. I rode a Shov/Pan for many years. Rode that thing all over the Eastern Seaboard and New England. I'm looking for an older HD myself. Just to mess with. For those of us that are "hooked" on that sound, I get it.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Congrats on your new bike. Now that you've bought it, you should read the link below.

Read this before you buy a Harley

The information in the article is what has steered me away from buying Harley Davidson. Just stuff you need to be aware of and take precautions for.

Hope the bike works out great for you.

(y)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Nice bike. My brother in law has the same one.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Lou, very nice bike. Enjoy the hell out of it. You'll never get any razzing from me. I rode a Shov/Pan for many years. Rode that thing all over the Eastern Seaboard and New England. I'm looking for an older HD myself. Just to mess with. For those of us that are "hooked" on that sound, I get it.
Absolutely. The late Evo's, as well, were a great engine, and had incredible potential, if you're looking fro something older. It wasn't uncommon to see a 95" kit get over 100hp on the rollers. And the sound with a lumpy cam. That, my friends is music!

The twinkie is a great engine, regardless of what some people say. The VTX had some quirks, the twinkie has some quirks. Nothing that a bit of effort can't solve ... for either.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
HOP, when I click on the site you posted it tells me it is undeliverable. What was the gist of it. The things to be mindful of when buying HD. Way I see it, they are simple machines, like all motorbikes. If it runs, shifts, brakes, and don't burn oil, what is the hidden 'surprise'? Not liking HD is one thing, to be still pushing their supposed inferiority is getting old. Would like to read the link.

Reactions: Harkon

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats on your new bike. Now that you've bought it, you should read the link below.

Read this before you buy a Harley

The information in the article is what has steered me away from buying Harley Davidson. Just stuff you need to be aware of and take precautions for.

Hope the bike works out great for you.

(y)
The PDF seems to be linked to your hard drive.
Got an online link? Or can you PM it to me? Or attach it to the post? (not sure if the board allows it)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, thanks, y'all, for all the nice words, I don't feel like a traitor too much now.
I still love my VTX but there's just something raw about this one. The VTX is a big heavy bike, all decked out for long trips and high speeds. The Harley is bare-bones, no bags, no windshield, I have to hold on for dear life at 70mph and hope for no bugs.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
If it wasn't a Harley I'd forgive you. Just joking.
Hey, if it was a good deal for you, you wanted it, and/or can afford it, go for it. It'll be fun. It looks good.

Reactions: Harkon and Blast

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
OK Oops, that one got me there. Funny.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Gentlemen, I hope y'all won't hate me if I confess that I brought home another bike last week.

I just could not refuse an offer I was made (no, there was no horse head in my bed).
I tried justifying it to The Wife as "I am saving this poor neglected thing" but she called BS. :D

I bought a nice 100-yr anniversary Softail Standard. It's got the 884 engine (aka Twin Cam 88B with 1450cc) which makes this awesome sound that I just cannot get enough of. My VTX does not sound that cool. (I know, I am not supposed to say anything bad about our VTXs)

She's been up north for years, got brought to TX in a move and been sitting out in the sun and rain for years. Needs plenty of TLC, already fixed some issues with the shifter, clutch etc. More to be done. But it's labor of love. :)

I hope y'all can forgive me. But I tell ya, if you sat on her and fired her up, you'd understand in a heartbeat!
I have a 07 Road King 96" I really like the feel of it. It is faster than the VTX1300 and I had NO trouble with it while riding the snot out of it for 54,000 miles. Well I did replace the cam tension

I see a nice bike there! I have a 2007 FLHR 96ci (Road King) and it has been good for 54,000 miles, Well I did replace the Cam tensioner and I blew up a clutch basket (seems I am the only one ever to do that o_O)
I didn't ride easy on it while riding mostly with my son who had a pretty fast 03 Dyna Wide Glide. Harley Davidson is just as fun as Honda in my experience. I can break all of them. The first indication of that was when I stripped the hub on my first Honda, a S90 by doing too many wheelies. LOL
The only down side is at a HD dealer everything is a "H"undred "D"ollars or increments of HD. ;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
[QUOTE="Lou_VTX, post: 4646947, member: 94774"

Only 15% more than what I paid for my VTX. Should have paid triple, right?
[/QUOTE]
Used Softails and Dynas prices have come down. They were once so popular, times change styles change. It seems many Harley owners moved on to Bagger Models.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts