Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I have a 07 Road King 96" I really like the feel of it. It is faster than the VTX1300 and I had NO trouble with it while riding the snot out of it for 54,000 miles. Well I did replace the cam tension

I see a nice bike there! I have a 2007 FLHR 96ci (Road King) and it has been good for 54,000 miles, Well I did replace the Cam tensioner and I blew up a clutch basket (seems I am the only one ever to do that o_O) View attachment 175553 I didn't ride easy on it while riding mostly with my son who had a pretty fast 03 Dyna Wide Glide. Harley Davidson is just as fun as Honda in my experience. I can break all of them. The first indication of that was when I stripped the hub on my first Honda, a S90 by doing too many wheelies. LOL
The only down side is at a HD dealer everything is a "H"undred "D"ollars or increments of HD. ;)
Yeah, you're right about the "Hundred Dollars", but I honestly found a lot of aftermarket items were far less expensive than for the Honda. Just one man's experience though. The Harley's are really simple mills, IMO, with very little can't be repaired in your own garage. The cam tensioners need a special tool. But it's not complicated, and not too expensive from Jim's, if you can't find one locally. For me, I'd I'm kn the can chest anyway, new cams are a must. Don't get me wrong I loved the VTX, and really miss it. Harley, pretty much any model, has so much aftermarket available ... something you can't find for the VTX, even kn the mid 2000's when they were current. It's unlikely my Harley will ever be faster than my VTX1800, but if you want to race, IMO, you're on the wrong bike to start with.

Reactions: leroys73

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
The least favorite older models (not dressers) are the dual shock models with the battery box and oil tank side by side under seat. The soft tail bikes with 'horseshoe' oil tank are what most of the younger guys (that want an older HD) are looking for. That is all I am considering (not that I'm young, LOL). Much better suited to a 'bobber' style bike.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Yeah, you're right about the "Hundred Dollars", but I honestly found a lot of aftermarket items were far less expensive than for the Honda. Just one man's experience though. The Harley's are really simple mills, IMO, with very little can't be repaired in your own garage. The cam tensioners need a special tool. But it's not complicated, and not too expensive from Jim's, if you can't find one locally. For me, I'd I'm kn the can chest anyway, new cams are a must. Don't get me wrong I loved the VTX, and really miss it. Harley, pretty much any model, has so much aftermarket available ... something you can't find for the VTX, even kn the mid 2000's when they were current. It's unlikely my Harley will ever be faster than my VTX1800, but if you want to race, IMO, you're on the wrong bike to start with.
I noticed that about the aftermarket items being less expensive than for the Honda too. The fact is I like motorcycles and there are many brands that make bikes that I like. Kinda of like guns.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The parts chain for the VTX continues to shrink, once the certain parts leave the self, that's it, no more will be produced. Older Harleys have better support in aftermarket parts.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Aftermarket parts for HDs us much better. the good thing is HDs are easy to work on and repair shops plenty. They need them. :) seriously they are good but have quirks like all.

I have 141,000+ m iles on my VTX. Only somewhat major but actually maintenance was rebuilding forks at 96,000 miles. I replaced a couple of minor things B4 they broke.

My buddy has a HD Heritage, love the looks, with about 50K and has replaced bearings, clutch, and several other lesser items. he does good maintenance at a Harley shop. He runs full synthetic in it. B-in-L rides HD had to replace starter soon after bought, covered under warranty.

I am sure HD is good but my experience with VTX and my Yamaha Royal Star Venture (45,000 miles) has been excellent. No dealer service is cheap. I will not knock anyone's choice.

Now if you bought a Yugo car, there might be a question of your choice. :oops:

Oh, I forgot, i did have to replace Unexpectedly the flange bearings at a tire change. They weren't gone but going that way. I like to replace when I want to, not when I have to. Sort of like a gun fight: Reload when you want to, not when you have to.;)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts