Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my first big ride on the VTX the weekend just gone (168 Miles).

I noticed some vibrations through the bars at constant speed and towards the end of the ride I relaxed my grip on the bars and got the starts of a tank slapper. I've done a search on the forum and read about the usual suspects (head bearings, tyre cupping etc...). Having a quick look at the bike I noticed that the forks are a slightly different height about the top yoke/triple tree. I plan to level these up.

Should these be flush with the top yoke or sit just above it as per the left fork?

Tyre pressure was also at 33/36 so i will be upping those to 38/40 as per the collective wisdom of the forum.

The bike has just had an MOT test and part of that is checking bearings (head and wheel) so hopefully once I have leveled up the forks the tank slappers will reduce.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Mine are not flush, and they weren't before and after the dealer did my All Balls steering stem tapered bearings install. I installed progressive springs myself a couple years before they did that install so I specifically remember looking at it.

They should be even. If they are seated properly, perhaps your plastic cap on one side isn't all the way on. Be careful, those caps are plastic, and the threads are VERY fine, so it is easy to crossthread and damage the caps.

·
Registered
12,756 Posts
After a fork oil change or polishing the tubes, I lined up the top of the tube to the top bridge,
the axle would not go into the other fork. Loosen up one fork and got it in.

My fork caps are aluminum. it does have fine thread, a fork holder and a ratchet strap.
Use a hand grip to screw on or off if threads not lined up.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Old Goat
26,190 Posts
Read the manual…its in there…

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
After a fork oil change or polishing the tubes, I lined up the top of the tube to the top bridge,
the axle would not go into the other fork. Loosen up one fork and got it in.

My fork caps are aluminum. it does have fine thread, a fork holder and a ratchet strap.
Use a hand grip to screw on or off if threads not lined up.
Sorry, I mixed it up. They are Aluminum. And very soft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts