Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I change out the fluid and seals then reinstalled the Left and Right forks. they are nearly flush with the tree. I installed the axle to check the alignment and it was way off. Probably 3/8's or better. Tried adjusting the nut under the cap but to achieve the proper length I would only have 2 or 3 threads holding the cap on. I have read that this has been seen before and Bareass Chopper has a write up on the adjustment and he mentions that the other side can be adjusted also. However it doesn't say how to do it. Anyone else seen this and fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
64,656 Posts
Each fork is different. One side is sprung for extension the other for compression. So 1 is pushing away from the bars the other will be pulling back to the bars. Once you get the axle in by pushing or pulling one side or the other the fork assembly becomes 1 unit. This will happen when you change the tires, or any time you have the wheel out. One side or the other will be longer or shorter. It doesn't take much to get the axle in

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Each fork is different. One side is sprung for extension the other for compression. So 1 is pushing away from the bars the other will be pulling back to the bars. Once you get the axle in by pushing or pulling one side or the other the fork assembly becomes 1 unit. This will happen when you change the tires, or any time you have the wheel out. One side or the other will be longer or shorter. It doesn't take much to get the axle in
So, there is no adjustment? Just screw the cap down as far as it will go and tighten the jam nut? I have the manual but also have read how other had adjusted the left one.

·
Super Moderator
64,656 Posts
Yes, others have adjusted one or the other. But that's a band-aid fix for a non problem. Honda service manual says to align the top of the fork tubes with the upper tree and tighten the cap and then the clamps. No mention of moving the fork tubes up or down to make axle holes even

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get having the tubes even on the tree, but what about the cap adjustment. under the cap is a lock nut to secure the cap to the rod. If I understand it right that is what they are adjusting.

·
Super Moderator
64,656 Posts
That is not meant to be an adjustment for the fork leg. It is a lock-nut to secure the fork cap so that it doesn't come off. Just push or pull the legs to get the axle in

1 - 7 of 7 Posts