Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 1800S model and just had racetech gold valves and springs installed at a racetech authorized repair facility. Had difficulty installing my axle due to uneven fork lengths. I removed the fork caps and adjusted the left side jam nut per the instructions on bareass's website, but I'm concerned about the amount of threads into the fork cap. (Too few) The write up says that the right side can be adjusted if too few threads remain on the the left fork, but doesn't describe how to adjust the right side. Also, my ride height is definitely higher since the racetech work was performed. I don't like the additional height because I can't flat foot the same anymore, but more importantly, I'm concerned that the raised front end will cause ill handling. (Less weight on front wheel) I was hoping someone could help with the right side adjustment procedure and let me know if the height can be changed without total disassembly of the fork. I didn't measure the distance on the forks before, but I can tell the front end sits higher. From old pics before fork work, it looks to be approximately 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch taller. (Gauged by looking at chrome deflector to upper fork leg) I would be grateful for any help. Thanks in advance, Allen

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
It's the springs I'm sure. If they are "stiffer" then the bike will sit higher just because the weight of the bike on the front wheel doesn't compress the springs as much as the originals. I would need to look at my C model to see if the forks can be raised (slid up) in the yokes. This would get your ride height back to where you think it was. Also you should check the preload to verify it's within the normal range.

·
Super Moderator
64,141 Posts
Wish you would have asked first before moving the nut. The 1800 front end has each fork sprung different. One is for compression, the other for extension. This is why you only need the fork tool for 1 side. So they will sometimes be uneven. Easiest fix, is to pull or push the forks until they are even and it doesn't take much force.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wish you would have asked first before moving the nut. The 1800 front end has each fork sprung different. One is for compression, the other for extension. This is why you only need the fork tool for 1 side. So they will sometimes be uneven. Easiest fix, is to pull or push the forks until they are even and it doesn't take much force.
I did that first. Used a ratchet strap to compress the right fork to install the axle. Upon researching the subject I found that this can be normal, even from the factory, but can cause premature fork seal or wheel bearing failure so I decided to adjust the left side fork. Even though it was unlikely, I didn't like the situation so I made the adjustment out of caution. Since making this post, I have further researched and found that it's normal for the new stiffer springs to cause longer/taller fork assemblies. The new set up soaks up larger bumps much better but causes a harsher ride down the road on anything but perfectly smooth surfaces.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts