Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see where some folks use automatic transmission fluid n then I read @ places where they claim AT causes seals to swell so I'm curious what ya'll think coz the seals gotta go sooner more so than later.................

·
Super Moderator
64,333 Posts
Fork oil costs the same usually, so why not use that. I won't put ATF in a shock, ATF is not a suspension fluid and you're asking it to do a job it wasn't intended to do

·
Registered
566 Posts
When your forks are going up and down doing their thing, the action is controlled by oil. If worked hard enough, the oil can begin to foam up reducing the damping effect. True fork oil is designed to resist that as much as possible, plus it`s available in different weights so you can customize the damping. Plus I`m sure that the seals probably benefit from a better fork oil as well.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew I'd get some answers here, thank ya.
I know ya can replace brake fluid w/power steering fluid but not advised the other way around. I really guesstamated that AT was superior to fork oil coz I thought it had more of a load n was thinking a quart of Syn AT was cheaper than syn fork but, I've thought a lot of things that turned out to be wrong b4.....................

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
You can pee in your radiator and it will work, doesn't mean it's right.. Stick with fork oil. Viscosity differences make a huge difference in how well your suspension works.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not tryin' 2 start an argument just shootin' the breeze but it's my understanding that AT fluid is the same viscosity(20wt) as fork oil being used in the X. It might be a stretch coz I'm tryin' 2 rely on memory n it ain't what it used to be. If anything I'd think AT would be overqualified coz I know folks have used it as fork oil replacement but I'm not familiar w/any1 using fork oil in an automatic transmission. For all I know it comes outa same barrel n they red dye at fluid.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
black hills said:
You can pee in your radiator and it will work, doesn't mean it's right.. Stick with fork oil. Viscosity differences make a huge difference in how well your suspension works.
Really...I wonder if it will work as good as Ice...don't think it will work for me though...my pee is not 50/50... :lol:

Bull

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts