Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my X back together over the weekend and then lent it to my dad. When he returned there was fork oil everywhere. It was coming from the left fork dust cap. I pulled the dust cap up and there was oil laying underneith it. I cleaned it all off and looked at the seal (which was brand new) and it looked fine. Snap ring was in place. Looked like nothing was wrong. I installed chrome lower forks. I put 15.5 ounces of oil in each fork and pumped them to remove any air. I did not measure the level from the top. I have no idea how much leaked out. What could have happened? Did I overfill it?

·
Registered
465 Posts
The 15.5 is the total for both sides I believe. You should have measured it. Your C takes 125 mm of oil when it's compressed. I believe you overfilled it. I know I used almost a quart of oil for the both of my fork tubes

·
Registered
28 Posts
Changed my front fork springs to Progressive 400 miles ago and after draining the forks I put 15 ozs in each tube with 15w and no problems. As far as I'm concerned it was the best money I spent on the bike. Read on this site that 15 ozs was the way to go.
Further on up the road, Nelson

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
The fork legs take just short of 8oz. each so you guys have overfilled the forks.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
silvervtx04s said:
The fork legs take just short of 8oz. each so you guys have overfilled the forks.
I don't want to start anything here, you've been a lot of help with a lot of things, but my book says 15.5 +or- .08 oz so it sounds like they should've been close, but when I did mine not only did I measure the fluid before putting it in, I also measured from the top of the tube to the oil.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
cool runnins You won't start anything here,when I'm wrong I'm the first to admit it . You are correct and I'm wrong. It is 15.5 oz per leg.I miss read or misunderstood what I read.... Have to keep an eye on us folks with Alzheimers.....Sorry.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I know I just measured. I really think you guys are wrong. You don't put 15+ in each side. It only took just under a quart to fill mine to the 125mm when compressed. A quart is 16 ounces. Almost 8 per side.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
silvervtx04s said:
cool runnins You won't start anything here,when I'm wrong I'm the first to admit it . You are correct and I'm wrong. It is 15.5 oz per leg.I miss read or misunderstood what I read.... Have to keep an eye on us folks with Alzheimers.....Sorry.
Right there beside ya on that one, but I just have sometimers, some times I remember, other times--------------what were we talking about anyway. :wink:

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I guess I should focus on the question, I'd take it a part and start over. the oil has to have come from someplace

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Found this bit of info from the Handler. It pays to keep an eye on those 1800 guys :wink:
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39327

I just did the Progressive springs last week. Took the forks off - and emptied them out good. Took almost exactly 15.5 ounces per leg to get them to the specified 4.9 inches from the top (compressed - no spring, seat, or spacer).
Then, I read the Progressive instructions stating that the level should be no higher than 5.5 inches from the top. I ended up with 14 ounces in each leg. I kind of doubt that an ounce and a half would make much difference, but you never know. :?

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
VTXScooby said:
I know I just measured. I really think you guys are wrong. You don't put 15+ in each side. It only took just under a quart to fill mine to the 125mm when compressed. A quart is 16 ounces. Almost 8 per side.
They are showing one tube at a time. I just did mine and they took 15.5 ounces each. Forks off the bike and completly empty. Measured straight up and down without spring, seat, or spacer.
A quart is 32 ounces.

·
Registered
639 Posts
VTXScooby said:
Not to upset anyone, however, a quart is 32 oz, a pint is 16 oz.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I said I put exactly 15.5 ounces in each fork. The right one is fine. The left is leaking out the seal. The left seal thats leaking is brand new. The right which is fine is the old seal I reused. I took the dust cover and ring back off again and looked at the seal real close to see if I messed it up installing it. It looks perfect! No marks on it and it looks like its seated evenly all the way around. I dont even know how much leaked out. Could there have been air in there and its building pressure? I pumped the crap out of it till I didnt see any bubbles. This is pissing me off and upsetting me all at the same time.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Yes it could have trapped air in it and that would have the same effect as overfilling. Best thing to do would be to compress it and measure the oil level. then you will know where you stand. All of the air should be out now.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took the dust cap off and locked the front brakes and rocked the bike back and forth so it would compress the forks. You can see the fork itself getting wetter and wetter. Its like the seal is not hugging the fork tight enough and its leaking through right where it goes through the seal. This is a brand new seal. It doesnt look like I messed it up installing it but I guess it has to be. What else could it be?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A guy on the general mc board said that he had the same problem and that the seal was upside down (he has a 1800C). It makes sense but I think theres only one way it can go down. And it has that spring tensior thing on the top. Maybe it was packaged wrong and the spring was put on the wrong side.

·
Registered
465 Posts
OK...I'm going back to school. I don't even know my measures......... :oops:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That little spring that goes around the seal to hold alittle tension on the rubber. Does that go towards the top or the bottom. I have mine facing up top. Someone said it should face towards the bottom so I have the seal in backwards. Anyone know or have amanual they can look at for me?

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
brihvac said:
That little spring that goes around the seal to hold alittle tension on the rubber. Does that go towards the top or the bottom. I have mine facing up top. Someone said it should face towards the bottom so I have the seal in backwards. Anyone know or have amanual they can look at for me?
The spring faces down according to the picture in the manual.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts