Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went out and got my bike jack and had an hour to kill this morning. Decided to change the fork oil. Well, to my surprise there was only about 5-7 ounces of oil in each tube where the manual calls for about 15.:shock:

Anyone else experience this? I guess this is why the front load was so soft.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You haven't got it all out. I assume that you used a pump to get the fork oil out. If this is the case you need to collapse the forks because there is a lot of oil in the lower part of the fork. The passageway is a lot smaller than the upper part of the fork tube.

If you completely remove the fork (the preferred alternative) you will get the other 10 ounces out of them. It is alos preferred to refill with some of the new oil and pump the forks a few time and then dump that oil out.

Hope this helps.
John

·
Super Moderator
64,223 Posts
:agree:
If you didn't break them apart, you only sucked/poored the small amount off the top, there's more under the valving

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Taking the fork tubes out and turning them upside down with the springs out and compressing them several times. You will see there is more oil in there. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I completly tore my forks down a few years ago and sent my lower fork sliders in to have them chromed. I was only able to get about 7-8 oz out of each side total. The fork oil looked like mud, my bike was only a year old with less than 8500 miles on it at the time. I figured the nut who assembled my bike prolly thought it was 15.9 oz total instead of the 15.9 oz per side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts