Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '03 1800 C with a leaking fork seal. I've searched and searched for help on replacing the fork seals. While doing that I found out about the progressive replacement springs.

I was told by the previous owner that he installed 3" fork extensions to compensate for the lowering in the rear. He mentioned more scraping and bottoming out prior to extending the forks. Does anyone else have a problem with this? I was thinking I would put the Gold Wing springs in and do away with the extensions.

How bad is it to ride with a leaking seal? I noticed it this morning after the 20 mi. ride to work. Am I ok to get it home? Here's another one for you. The stealer told me they might warranty the seals. ( extended warranty transferred from previous owner) They say if I bring it down now they might be able to get it done within a week. If not the next appointment is for the week of the 20th. Should I just park the bike, order the springs and seals, wait for them to arrive and do both by myself?

I know it's lengthy. But, I'm new and trying to get all I can. Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 02 C model and installed the 3 in. extensions when I installed the 6 degree triple tree. That was at 5000 mi. Now at 7200 mi. the slider and guide bushings are shot. It seems that the internal extensions add stress to these parts by allowing less of the slder inside the guide and the change in the angle of the forks also increases pressure at this point. Have ordered fork rebuild kit and progressive springs. Hope this takes care of the problem. If not I will have a set of brand X TRIPLE TREES FOR SALE.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
blackjack said:
I have a 02 C model and installed the 3 in. extensions when I installed the 6 degree triple tree. That was at 5000 mi. Now at 7200 mi. the slider and guide bushings are shot. It seems that the internal extensions add stress to these parts by allowing less of the slder inside the guide and the change in the angle of the forks also increases pressure at this point. Have ordered fork rebuild kit and progressive springs. Hope this takes care of the problem. If not I will have a set of brand X TRIPLE TREES FOR SALE.
Not to knock your d**k in the dirt but, new bushings and springs won't relieve the additional stress of the added rake and length of the forks. You'll probably wear them out just as fast as the first ones. Maybe that's why most "choppers" use springer forks. No bushings to wear out every 2200 miles. Best of luck with that.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I don't know about the extensions but I just put the goldwing progressives in my 02 1800C. I had a fork seal leak as well and had a local guy (TazMan) replace both the springs and the seals for me. I was tempted to try it myself but after watching him I am really glad I didn't try it. There are a few special tools that really help out this process that I just don't have, plus the extra length of the goldwing springs makes putting the forks back together pretty difficult. As far as the ride, it is 100% better than stock springs, plus I have a lot more ground clearance. Don't worry about riding on your leaky seals as long as they are not leaking REALLY bad, I rode on my leaky fork for about 1500 miles and it didn't do any damage.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MacGuy-

Thanks. The stealer called today and said there is a gouge in the slider that tore the fork seal. I asked how that could happen. He told me there has been alot of "customization" to the forks. I.E. polishing and extensions. When the forks were taken off to polish it could have been hit with something or put in a vice. That doesnt sound right so I called the previous owner. He left them on the bike and took the wheel off and polished what he could.

So the mechanic wants to put the slider in a lathe and turn it down to get rid of the gouge. Wouldn't that reduce the circumference of the slider in that spot? How is the seal going to work then? He says because it's a gouge the extended warranty wont cover it. $200 out of pocket should fix it. That just doesnt sound right to me. I am going down tomorrow to see what he's talking about. We have a lathe and emery cloth at the hangar. I ordered a service manual and am thinking I will just do it with the help of a couple buddies. They are more mechanically inclined than myself.

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
[quote='03_C_commuter]MacGuy-

Thanks. The stealer called today and said there is a gouge in the slider that tore the fork seal. I asked how that could happen. He told me there has been alot of "customization" to the forks. I.E. polishing and extensions. When the forks were taken off to polish it could have been hit with something or put in a vice. That doesnt sound right so I called the previous owner. He left them on the bike and took the wheel off and polished what he could.

So the mechanic wants to put the slider in a lathe and turn it down to get rid of the gouge. Wouldn't that reduce the circumference of the slider in that spot? How is the seal going to work then? He says because it's a gouge the extended warranty wont cover it. $200 out of pocket should fix it. That just doesnt sound right to me. I am going down tomorrow to see what he's talking about. We have a lathe and emery cloth at the hangar. I ordered a service manual and am thinking I will just do it with the help of a couple buddies. They are more mechanically inclined than myself.[/quote]

If you have a gouge in the slider you should replace it. The new seal won't seal well (IMO) New sliders are $320 each from HDL :shock:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Jon's1800VTXC said:
[quote="'03_C_commuter":3ksmffhy]MacGuy-

So the mechanic wants to put the slider in a lathe and turn it down to get rid of the gouge. Wouldn't that reduce the circumference of the slider in that spot? How is the seal going to work then? He says because it's a gouge the extended warranty wont cover it. $200 out of pocket should fix it. That just doesnt sound right to me. I am going down tomorrow to see what he's talking about. We have a lathe and emery cloth at the hangar. I ordered a service manual and am thinking I will just do it with the help of a couple buddies. They are more mechanically inclined than myself.
If you have a gouge in the slider you should replace it. The new seal won't seal well (IMO) New sliders are $320 each from HDL :shock:[/quote:3ksmffhy]

+1 I wouldn't try the lathe approach, I believe you are correct it would reduce the circumference of the slider and therefore render the seal useless. This dealer is sounding a little shady to me, but I would also ask them if they guarantee their work, because if you pay $200 for this lathe job that doesn't work, then they should be the ones that have to pony up the cash for the new slider. JMO

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
black hills said:
Ever look at at the maint. schedule for a Springer front end?
No, and after thinking about it, a spring front end is used 'cause the vertical forces wouldn't compress a fork anyway. Probably just snap it?

G

·
Don't turn the forks in a lathe.
This would reduce diameter like you said.
Also, the other surface is heat treated for hardening, that would be removed.
I have a small nick in my fork and will need to do the same.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I went back down to the dealership yesterday and asked to see this gouge. It's a 1/4 inch long scratch almost at the bottom of the slider. I tried explaining that when the forks were polished they never left the bike. So they weren't put in a vise. And his theory on that was shot. I then told him it looks like the scratch is pretty far down. Does the fork actually compress that much? Well no it doesnt. So he is going to turn it into warranty. However, with the "aftermarket" parts the labor will be longer than what the warranty pays. I told him when he gets ready to work on it I will drive the 30 minutes to the shop and take the 2 minutes to pull the cap off the top of the fork and the tool bag under the headlight. What a joke!! Then he says I need to pay for the other side to be done. I said nope that's what the warranty is for. When it starts leaking you can replace it. He told me I shouldnt run with old fork oil in one side and new oil in the other. I told him I would save the $120 and change the oil myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.