Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting ready to add progressive front springs to my C and was wondering if the fork spring tool is absolutely required before purchasing one? :dontknow:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I put progressive springs in my R yesterday. I didn't know there was a "tool". The most special tool I used was a 17mm ratchet wrench from Lowes. You can get by without it and use a adjustable wrench but it will be harder. Everyone here suggests that you remove the forks and flush out the old oil and replace it with 15.5 oz of 10w fork oil. I did. Good luck. bill

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
No special tools required for the 1300 fork springs.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the quick feed back guys! i do appreciate it! :D

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
...You can get by without it and use a adjustable wrench but it will be harder...
:oops:
Highly NOT recommended. The threads in the upper fork tubes are very fine threads and you can easily cross-thread and damage the threads on the fork tube cap.

It is recommended that you use ONLY a ratchet and socket for removing and installing the fork tube caps as even using a box-end wrench can have nasty consequences regardless of precautions used during re-installation.

Remember - the springs ARE under some slight tension, even with the front wheel off the ground and the tubes fully extended!!!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I just did mine and found a ratcheting box wrench was the easiest. You can press down on the the wrench and cap with your palm while screwing it on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts