Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems like a problem that you would never know about unless you look inside your forks. For someone shopping for a bike it seems concerning but it seems like nothing you could check for before buying the bike and taking apart the forks. It's well described in the last minute of this video.
All I can think of is you'd have to take the windshield off and go around the outside of the fork in that area with a micrometer, and I still don't know if that would find it. Seems like something you just have to live with if you've got it. Most every VTX has had a windshield on it at some point.

I just wonder if anybody has thoughts about how you could check for it.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I run a Memphis Batwing that attaches to the upper (stationary) fork legs. The clamps are aluminum and quite light in construction. They tighten with a single small machine screw. I could snap them off with a large pair of water pump pliers. If you can't find any indication of 'out of round' with a micrometer, what exactly are you looking for?

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Old Goat
26,189 Posts
With all due
I run a Memphis Batwing that attaches to the upper (stationary) fork legs. The clamps are aluminum and quite light in construction. They tighten with a single small machine screw. I could snap them off with a large pair of water pump pliers. If you can't find any indication of 'out of round' with a micrometer, what exactly are you looking for?
from his post I think he would rather look for chit/problems than ride the bike…Im sure most of us take good care,/ride the bikes and fix it when it breaks….I know I do….good luck OP….

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The distortion of the fork tube will cause seals to fail prematurely. So it seems like a bad thing, and buying a used VTX, I'd like to avoid it, but as far as I can see, one you can't do much about except being careful not to do it to your own bike.

Just was wondering if somebody might know more than me about how to detect this.

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts