Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'04 1800C
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon, I've viewed this forum for yrs but haven't needed to post. I've owned an '04 1800C as a back-up bike for abt 5 yrs. It will now have to be my primary. I'm 6'6" (36" inseam) and in need of forward controls to be comfortable. I've viewed historical posts but there isn't much on the subject from the last 10 yrs. Seems L&R Extreme (5") were all the rage at that time but I can't find any contact info for L&R. Or maybe something better has come along in the last decade?
Also, I'm aware new cables may be necessary but is there anything I'm missing other than that (and the appropriate hardware)? Maybe there's a complete kit? Or a place to buy all of this used?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
64,037 Posts
Sorry to say but you are years too late to that party. L&R has been gone for over a decade. The only other company that made forwards for the VTX was Jardine I believe and they have also stopped making them about 10 years ago. Try Ebay or maybe the Classifieds board here or the VTXOA page on Facebook.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
The only things required to move the controls forward is a set of 'plates' and a longer shift rod. If you look closely at your bike you'll see that the foot controls/pegs are fastened to lugs in the frame. The plates bolt to the frame and are drilled and tapped for mounting the controls a few inches further forward. Very straight forward. I've had m X since '05 and don't remember who I bought the plates from (3") but I do remember thinking shoot, I could make these. At the time they were not terribly expensive anyway, and came chromed (still holding up). Point is, the plates could be made by any machine shop given accurate measurements. Same with a longer shift rod. At 5" you will also have to extend (replace) the master cylinder hose. There was a guy who made a master cylinder incorporated into the forwards (which I'm lucky enough to have) but I'd bet thats long gone. It really cleaned things up by eliminating that fugly hose crossing the front pipe. Good luck. Nothing real tricky about it. Remember, back in the day we had to make (fabricate) almost everything. Except for HD worship (and serious long distance riders) I've never understood why the big X fell out of favor. I'm still loving mine over 100,000 miles later.

Reactions: TennX

·
Registered
'04 1800C
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to say but you are years too late to that party. L&R has been gone for over a decade. The only other company that made forwards for the VTX was Jardine I believe and they have also stopped making them about 10 years ago. Try Ebay or maybe the Classifieds board here or the VTXOA page on Facebook.
I was afraid of that. Thank you for the reply and advice.

·
Registered
'04 1800C
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only things required to move the controls forward is a set of 'plates' and a longer shift rod. If you look closely at your bike you'll see that the foot controls/pegs are fastened to lugs in the frame. The plates bolt to the frame and are drilled and tapped for mounting the controls a few inches further forward. Very straight forward. I've had m X since '05 and don't remember who I bought the plates from (3") but I do remember thinking shoot, I could make these. At the time they were not terribly expensive anyway, and came chromed (still holding up). Point is, the plates could be made by any machine shop given accurate measurements. Same with a longer shift rod. At 5" you will also have to extend (replace) the master cylinder hose. There was a guy who made a master cylinder incorporated into the forwards (which I'm lucky enough to have) but I'd bet thats long gone. It really cleaned things up by eliminating that fugly hose crossing the front pipe. Good luck. Nothing real tricky about it. Remember, back in the day we had to make (fabricate) almost everything. Except for HD worship (and serious long distance riders) I've never understood why the big X fell out of favor. I'm still loving mine over 100,000 miles later.
Thank you for the information and instruction. As easy as it sounds I know to stay in my lane, and this is outside of that. I'll keep an eye out for used set-ups since I've got a few months before riding season. If not, I may sell it, since it seems low mileage 1800's still command fair value, and put it towards something a bit physically larger. Although I've regretted doing that w/some vehicles in the past. Thank you again!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts