Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2003 VTX 1800R, then bought DG Hard Krome 3" big straights...Waiting on smartpartz baffles to come in to change the sound but having said that...I have burned my leg several times in a two week period ( I am not a small guy so I got more leg to burn....lol). Area of heat was rear cyclinder pipe, just as it leaves the head and turns down...my inner thigh would slightly touch the heat shield on the new pipes and ouch...burn time. I've got some Harley saddlebags on the way, to paint black, an ultra fairing on the way to paint black. I would like to black out my front forks by either paint or powder coat and chrome the wheels...so still have things I want to do but first I wanted the bike comfortable to ride.

So to try and ease the heat, I changed exhaust gaskets thinking it was leaking and maybe that cyclinder running hot...double checked there wasn't any crimping in the chrome and heat shield and there wasn't. Searched this forum and the cafe and never found a "this is it fix" for the problem...people mentioned generic universal heat shields but none were specific or gave links or pictures and I've read several people having issues with this.

So I took a chance and ordered this 9" universal shield from the manufacturer Paughco and here is a pic of it installed with bigger (4" metal hose clamps from Lowes) and it doesn't look too bad. I mean its not perfect. You can adjust it by sliding it up and down. I am sure it could be bent a little if needed but from a glance it just looks like another piece of chrome...but...COMPLETELY better and half the temp and no burns YET.

I haven't taken an hour ride but after 20 minutes it was still ok to touch. The pipe underneath...WOW! HOT! So hope this helps. Here is some photos before and after install.

Link to part #625: Paughco.com

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Probably helps, but... Kills the look of the big 3's. Sorry. A great idea however for those that don't mind what it looks like

·
Registered
265 Posts
I found that lowering the rear solved the problem for me.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Lowering the rear of the bike changed the angle of my leg which now keeps it off the pipe.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Looks OK to me. More importantly, it keeps you from frying your leg. I got my bike for riding, not impressing others, and I ride a lot. Never had it in a "show" and never will. I've got switches and a lighter and this and that on it that don't look "custom" but they look OK and they work for me. Makes for a more comfortable/enjoyable all day ride. I still get "nice bike" all the time. Keep it.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I wrapped the rear pipe with heat tape then re-installed the heat shield. That cut down a lot of the radiant heat going to the Cobra heat shield. Still to hot to touch but now the leg doesn't stick to the pipe. :joke:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the Roadburner Pros and they are essentially the same pipes. Rear cylinder pipe is real close to my leg as well, and it does get very hot. Only bothers me when I have my feet down at a stop. It's fine when riding. I have been thinking of ways that I can get my leg just a little farther away from the pipe, whether it's a different seat, or lowering the bike. Haven't come to a conclusion yet, but anyone else with this issue would love to hear any suggestions. Also, I have the black pipes so this fix won't work for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wrapped the rear pipe with heat tape then re-installed the heat shield. That cut down a lot of the radiant heat going to the Cobra heat shield. Still to hot to touch but now the leg doesn't stick to the pipe. :joke:
Heat shield is part of the pipe, not removable, so although this idea would probably help, I don't see how it could be done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same issue, at stops I have to remind myself to put away my leg more than normal. I was thinking of wrapping the inner pipe, it can be accessed by dismounting the exhaust, the 3" pipe is just an outside cover. Sojourner mentioned that by wrapping it stayed hot but will not stick your leg.

Any additional suggestion to use with the wrapping? Is the something else to do to lower the heat on the cover?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comments. I think the issues is a bigger one than "us bike riders" all want to admit. I know for me...stopping at an intersection had me more focused on my leg getting burned than watching traffic (I admit....no good). That is why I looked for a shield that wasn't made for a 2" or 2 1/2" pipe...this shield was a flat version. I've moved it almost 2 inches down since the picture taken (I'll post a new pic soon) and it lays flat against the pipe now rather than slightly tilted. I think wrapping the pipe with exhaust wrap is definately a good idea. It could be done with the heat shield in place...just cut a short piece of wrap (a couple feet long) and start wrapping around the inner pipe and just finagle(spelling) it around the heat shield welds...I can see how it could definately help. I may try that too.

If I had black pipes I would buy this shield and simply use high temp black paint and rough up the chrome and paint. Also in two weeks of using this shield...I've had lots of people say wow..that bike look and sounds good...not any saying "tacky" or ugly....not that they would say it to my face but I think practical is the way to go. Thanks for the comments and always open to suggestions.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I think the issues is a bigger one than "us bike riders" all want to admit. I know for me...stopping at an intersection had me more focused on my leg getting burned than watching traffic (I admit....no good). :agree:That is why I looked for a shield that wasn't made for a 2" or 2 1/2" pipe...this shield was a flat version. I've moved it almost 2 inches down since the picture taken (I'll post a new pic soon) and it lays flat against the pipe now rather than slightly tilted. I think wrapping the pipe with exhaust wrap is definitely a good idea. It could be done with the heat shield in place...just cut a short piece of wrap (a couple feet long) and start wrapping around the inner pipe and just finagle(spelling) it around the heat shield welds...I can see how it could definately help. I may try that too.

If I had black pipes I would buy this shield and simply use high temp black paint and rough up the chrome and paint. Also in two weeks of using this shield...I've had lots of people say wow..that bike look and sounds good...not any saying "tacky" or ugly....not that they would say it to my face but I think practical is the way to go. Thanks for the comments and always open to suggestions.
Thank you for finding the solition for me as I have had burns on top of burns on my leg. I don't usually wear shorts, but if I need to take a quick jaunt to the store I just hop on the bike. I also just bought rain gear that I haven't heat proofed yet and your right thats mostly what I am thinking about whenever I stop the bike. I will check on the heat wrap and see if thats practical to use underneath the new shield.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the ultimate big boy, but I think its probably closer now when I stop and put my foot down. How come your not on the NH board, we have nice ride this weekend...you should join us.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230812
Trust me, would love to ride, but I work every saturday and almost every Sunday. My only day off is Thursday, so it's tough to get together with people.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Trust me, would love to ride, but I work every Saturday and almost every Sunday. My only day off is Thursday, so it's tough to get together with people.
OK keep an eye on the NH board and feel free to join in on the tom foolery of our little group and maybe we can line up a ride sometime soon. We do the lowell bike night on some tuesday nights if that works. I grew next door to you in Mason and dont have anybody from down that way yet in our group.
Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts