Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 VTX1800N3 Stock except for Barnette Clutch Springs
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a rattle at a certain "frequency" when riding. I played hell trying to find it. I thought it was the chrome radiator frame, or the mesh cover that is on the radiator. I took the frame all the way off because i was replacing the radiator fan. Once I did that I started the bike with the frame off, still the rattle. I rode the bike and got to the frequency that the rattle was the loudest and it was coming from my speedometer. Somewhere in there was the culprit. I took it back off and the screws had very small washers, some of them missing so I replaced them with thicker ceramic washers. The kit I bought was $9 on amazon. That fixed it completely. Just passing this on in case others might be searching for that mysterious rattle you just cant find.

Speedometer Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gauge Vehicle
Rectangle Automotive tire Wood Font Metal

·
Registered
13,879 Posts
Ceramic washers??? Not rubber washers?
Shoulder screw had some very thin washers.
Still too much rattle space on the screw.
Many had rattles. I used electrical tape, other used orings.

Reactions: cubcake1

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
those look like the nylon washer kit I bought for shimming my Sissy bar brackets to fit with 240 fender, and protect my paint from metal to metal contact.

Reactions: cubcake1

·
Super Moderator
64,575 Posts
Yep, a known trouble rattle/buzz that we've known about for ....21 years ;) Cheapest fix I came up with is 6 small squares of black electrical tape. 2 pieces on each post and take a razor and cut an X into the center to allow the bolt to pass through.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts